Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: So How Did You First Meet Your Mate

Cyburbian Emeritus Bear Up North's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003

So How Did You First Meet Your Mate

In honor of Valentine's Day, 2005, this Bear is asking the question, "So how did you first meet your mate?"

Here's my story, when and how I met wife Katie.

It was about twelve (12) years ago. I was single, living alone in very rural Henry County, OH. My ex-wife, Carole, and I had split about a year earlier.

Friends of mine continued to encourage me to come out to the Turtle Club. This was a floating bar, on the Ottawa River (a small river feeding Maumee Bay and Lake Erie). This bar was very popular with boaters, in the warmer months, and had a "regular" clinetele during the off-season months.

On a cold winter Friday night I made the forty (40) mile drive to the Turtle, driving my Toyota 4-wheel-drive pick-up. Friends of mine were there and I had a few drinks with them, including a friend named "Millie". A friend of hers was at the bar, drinking with her husband. This friend, Katie, came over to talk to Millie and Mills introduced us.

Some of you will think "What a cad this Bear is, hustling a woman who is married."
    Well, Katie and I talked for a couple of hours. Included in the talk were some comments anout the kind of guy her husband was, including some graphic descriptions of the beatings, the kickings, the bad stuff. Her husband was an alcoholic who resorted to violence when he drank.

Our conversation ended and she left the bar, with her husband. He never even knew we were talking because the whole time he sat at the bar, staring into the endless succession of drinks he was drowning.

Millie and I talked afterward. I told her that I really like Katie.

About that time, the brother of Katie's husband came in to the Turtle Club. He had on a snowmobile suit that was soaking wet. I recognized him from having a boat docked near the Turtle Club. He told Millie that his all-terrain vehicle had gone through the ice, on the Ottawa River.

After realizing that his vehicle was submerged close to shore, I offered to help. We went downstream a bit, along Edgewater Drive, to the location. I had to drive up on the large hill that the city put in place to prevent flooding, along the shoreline of the river. We attached a snap-strap with hook to my Toy and to his vehicle and I pulled it out of the icy river. We then loaded the wet vehicle in the back of my truck and I told him I would take it home for him.

Millie went along with me to show me where he lived. As we were driving to his house I told Millie, again, that I really liked Katie. She told me that she had talked to Katie on the phone, while I was getting the vehicle out of the river. She said that Katie said, "I really like Bear."

Within a week we were talking on the phone. Shortly after that she moved out of hre house and moved in with her sister.

We were married a couple years later and recently celebrated our tenth wedding anniversary.

She has been a great strength during my three (3) years of chemotherapy and the recent bone marrow transplant.

That is the story. What's your story?

Bear With Snap-Strap
    Occupy Cyburbia!

Registered
    Nov 2002
    I was dating her best friend.... 'Nuf said.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    I met the adultress in a high school math class. Short skirts, great legs and booty, nice twins. She was a cheerleader, I was on the basketball team. I wish I knew then what I know now. Not enough blood to power my brain and the....well, you know.....

Registered
    Sep 2001
    what is this "mate" you speak of?
    Too lazy to beat myself up for being to lazy to beat myself up for being too lazy to... well you get the point....

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jan 2003
    Quote Originally posted by donk
    what is this "mate" you speak of?
    I second donk.... us singletons don't need others bugging us for being single.

Registered
    Feb 2003
    The shortened version - I don't recall ever meeting my husband when we did meet, but I have been told about it enough times. I was completely sober because it was the middle of the day. He did not catch my eye until later in the day when we washed a mutual friend's dogs. Later that week, he tickled me and I suffered a concussion and have not been the same since. Ended up at the hospital and all. About two weeks later, he did it again but this time he got a black eye and he had to walk around school for about a week with it. We met when I was freshman in college and he was a sophmore. It is hard to believe that I have known him for more than 12 years.

Registered
    Jul 2003
    I think this has been done before but I don't feel like searching for it. I met Mr. Zone in typing class, probably in 11th grade. No regrets....I just can't live happily ever after with him.

Registered
    Sep 1999
    I met the D*ckhead when his sister introduced us. She and I remain friends, though.

Registered
    Nov 2003
    Quote Originally posted by Trail Nazi
    The shortened version - I don't recall ever meeting my husband when we did meet, but I have been told about it enough times. I was completely sober because it was the middle of the day. He did not catch my eye until later in the day when we washed a mutual friend's dogs. Later that week, he tickled me and I suffered a concussion and have not been the same since. Ended up at the hospital and all. About two weeks later, he did it again but this time he got a black eye and he had to walk around school for about a week with it. We met when I was freshman in college and he was a sophmore. It is hard to believe that I have known him for more than 12 years.
    I think we need the longer version?!?!?

Registered
    Feb 2003
    Drivers Ed.

... in college.

Registered
    Dec 2004
    In Newquay, UK. Newquay is a slightly tacky surfing resort in Cornwall (south west England). Me and my mates were staying in one caravan, she and her mates were in the caravan on the next plot.

10 years later here we are....

Registered
    Mar 2002
    We met online at nerve.com in their personals, that was 20 months ago and its starting to look like it just might be a life thing.

Funny thing is I saw his ad on the site for a couple of weeks before he wrote me and I figured there is no way as hot as he is that hed ever go out with me. He later told me it took him those 2 weeks to work up the nerve to write me. He did not think Id want to meet him.

Ha!
    "They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Ben Franklin

Remember this motto to live by: "Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, martini in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming 'WOO- HOO what a ride!'"

Forums Administrator & Gallery Moderator NHPlanner's avatar
    Registered
    Apr 1996
    Planner Groupie and I met while we were both going through divorces.....started out as a friendship, but developed from there.
    "Growth is inevitable and desirable, but destruction of community character is not. The question is not whether your part of the world is going to change. The question is how." -- Edward T. McMahon, The Conservation Fund

I met Mrs. G in a bar in the Butchertown neighborhood of Lou, KY. A pal and I had been out at the much lamented Cherokee Blues Club and decided to have one more for the road. Stopped at this place and she was at the outside bar around back. My pal was married to her sister-in-law's sister and introduced us. Funny thing is she worked for the city I work for now. As small a staff as we have, I'm surprised I didn't at least recognize her, but then again, she was at the POTW and I was in City Hall.

Been together 14 years, married 11.
    Je suis Charlie

Registered
    Apr 2003
    Well,

Very few people know this, but I almost got engaged a few years ago. I met her at a Student Government Meeting. Along with a few other people, the appointments committee was recommending her for a vacant position on the board, and we as a full board (maybe 25 people) were interviewing them. She looked very nervous when it got to her turn, and no one said anything. So I asked her if she felt that she could do a good job. The board laughed because I had a tendency to ask the hard questions, and it was not like me to joke like that. She smiled.

We hung out about a month later, and very quickly we realized that not only did we have a lot in common but we also had feelings for each other. We dated, fell in love with each other, but then I graduated, and she knew that I was going to move away. Things ended, and a few months later, I moved to PA.

Needless to say, it did not work out... and we have each gone our other ways. I don’t regret anything, and now I have a great GF. Who knows...
    "A long habit of not thinking a thing wrong, gives it a superficial appearance of being right, and raises at first a formidable outcry in defense of custom. Time makes more converts than reason." - Thomas Paine Common Sense.

Registered
    Jul 2002
    At work (different department). I thought he was really cute but I was involved in a disinegrating relationship so I'd never agree to go out with him. After about 3 or 4 months of him asking, I finally said yes. We've been together for 2 years now!

Registered
    Feb 2004
    I met my wife in 11th grade. She attended the cross-town rival school and I was debating against her at a tournament. I won the debate on that day, but subsequently I've often been overheard saying that it was also the LAST argument I won against her.
    Even though I first dated her about 24 years ago I didn't marry her until only 12 years ago. We certainly didn't jump into it rashly but today we're fortunate to have one of the best marriages of anyone we know.
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

     
    Registered
    Jun 2004
    Met fknts at a bar, he was with another girl and started talking to me (should have known then)...started dating stayed together 12 years, married for 3, had one child prior to marriage, second after we got married, recently divorced...

Registered
    Aug 2001
    In a bar on a weekday afternoon, after dumping the ex.

Registered
    Oct 2000
    We met at a Professor's annual school year kick off party for grad school at Clemson. He was sitting out on the porch, drinking a beer and we talked briefly about both being from Upstate NY.

He didn't seem interested at all, so we were just friendly. On that Valentine's Day, neither of us had anything to do, so as friends we went to see Primary Colors at the local $2 movie theater. Something sparked and a couple weeks later, after a drunken make out session at Backstreet's, we scheduled a first real date - went to Seneca to see The Big Lebowski. Two months later we decided we wanted to spend the rest of our lives together.

Registered
    Nov 2002
    Quote Originally posted by Downtown
    <snip> so as friends we went to see Primary Colors at the local $2 movie theater. Something sparked and a couple weeks later, after a drunken make out session at Backstreet's, we scheduled a first real date - went to Seneca <snip>
    Have we dated? Because that all sounds awfully familiar.

Registered
    Nov 2002
    We met working at a local department store in college. We were good friends and then love blossomed like a flower kissed by the rainbow of springtime.

Registered
    Aug 2004
    I met my hubby online in a chat room. At first I couldn't stand him - thought he was an arrogant jacka$$. After a couple of months of online wrangling, he asked to meet. Took me a few more weeks to agree. After two dates we were hooked on each other. Been together almost 4 years, married 8 months.
    "We do not need any other Tutankhamun's tomb with all its treasures. We need context. We need understanding. We need knowledge of historical events to tie them together. We don't know much. Of course we know a lot, but it is context that's missing, not treasures." - Werner Herzog, in Archaeology, March/April 2011

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally posted by Seabishop
    and then love blossomed like a flower kissed by the rainbow of springtime.
    Hey! Enough of that already!
    The bad poetry contest thread is here
    http://www.cyburbia.org/forums/showt...ght=bad+poetry
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Registered
    Nov 2002
    Quote Originally posted by Maister
    Hey! Enough of that already!
    The bad poetry contest thread is here
    http://www.cyburbia.org/forums/showt...ght=bad+poetry
    Dude, that's the way I roll. Ladies love that puppy dog and rainbow sh*t.

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. How did you meet your spouse/SO?
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 32
    Last post: 07 Oct 2013, 2:13 PM
  2. Nice to meet you!
    Introduce Yourself
    Replies: 7
    Last post: 17 Aug 2010, 2:55 PM
  3. Replies: 7