Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: judge of character

Registered
    Jul 2002

judge of character

The witnesses for the defense in Michael Jackson's case include people like Ed Bradley, Kobe Bryant, Elizabeth Taylor, Stevie Wonder & Larry King. Sheesh!

It made me think...if you were on trial, who would YOU ask to serve as your primary character witness, not including your significant other?

I'd have to choose my best friend. We have remained very close since college even though we live far apart right now. She's seen me thru all kinds of stuff, both good and bad, and she is a very rational, level-headed person who does well under pressure.

     
    Registered
    Jun 2004
    My best friend as well...I may even have my ex husband there...he's the one that screwed up and feels so horrible about it, I think he would be a good primary witness for me

Registered
    Apr 2003
    Someplace between yesterday and tomorrow.
    Youth Director at my Church,
    Fr. Bob (He has PhD’s in Psychology, Sociology, Theology, and History)
    Best friend from college who is the IT director at a school district
    My ex's parents (all of them )
    My neighbor (Special Ed Teacher)
    Friend from HS who is a cop
    Friend from college who is a social worker
    Friend from college who works for the FBI
    Former boss at the ski hill

I think that would be about it.
    Not my monkey, not my circus. - Old Polish Proverb

Registered
    Oct 2001
    I'm a WYSIWYG kind of guy. Everyone that knows me knows my faults as well as my upside. I wouldn't have a problem with anyone I know taking the stand.

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Funny you should mention it. In effect I am having to supply 'character witnesses'. My wife and I are pursuing international adoption (from China). I thought municipal government created paperwork and bureaucracy - adoption agencies and the federal govt make us look tame by comparasin. We have to complete a 250 page application packet and have to provide interviews and written statements from family members, employers, friends, neighbors. We have to provide records of all financial assets, proof of citizenship, birth certificates, and proof of employment. A social worker is going to conduct a home study where they examine our house and ask numerous probing questions about our personal lives. Lastly, we will both be fingerprinted.

I understand the neccessity of this process, but it's difficult not to feel a little frustrated while I am having to 'prove' my fitness to be a parent when I can walk around the county fairgrounds and not be able to count all the alcoholic abusive or otherwise unfit types I see who need undergo no such judgement and seem to procreate with alarming ease.
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Registered
    Jun 2004
    Mrs. Big Owl and I are foster parents and had to complete a similar process as Maister is going through. We had to supply so many refrences some for us as individuals and some as a couple. I have a copy of the letter of refrence from my Minister, and i have to admit i look good on paper. I joke about keeping it in my truck so if i get stopped by the fuzz i can hand them my licences, registration, and pastoral reccomendation.

Registered
    Sep 2001
    I'd have to get some of you to be my character reference. As an example of what my "friends" think of me, I take a woman I am newly dating to a function, and the only thing she hears is how drunk I usually get at them and why don't I have a beer or 6 in my hand. She still asks if I really that big a drinker. Then again, I've gone drinking with a few of you here, so that might not help.

In all honesty, as long as it had nothing to do with doing something silly while drinking I could probably ask anyone i know to provide examples of what a good guy I am.
    Too lazy to beat myself up for being to lazy to beat myself up for being too lazy to... well you get the point....

Registered
    Sep 1999
    A couple of former bosses
    Fellow planner friends
    My next-door neighbors

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Aug 2001
    My priest
    My friend who has known me for 25 years, and works for a judge
    A former co worker

Cyburbian Emeritus Bear Up North's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003
    My list includes the guy in the cell next to mine.

Bear
    Occupy Cyburbia!

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Feb 2002
    No, No, the point is thus:

Ed Bradley has an earing and an agenda
    Larry King, he married your daughter....
    Liz Taylor, 5 marriages and a substance problem
    Kobe bryant, well, what's the point

I am sure the prosecution is saying " how about more holleywood types"

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Who is the character of your state?
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 27
    Last post: 13 Feb 2013, 7:01 PM
  2. Name that character 2/6/13 edition
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 46