Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Networking Groups

Registered
    Apr 2003
    Someplace between yesterday and tomorrow.

Networking Groups

A while back we talked about Secret Societies, Fraternities, and Sororities and I it got me thinking about the whole networking thing.

How important to you think networking is to being truly successful in your profession, and how is it that that the Frats, Sororities, and Secret Societies have so much pull and power?

Also, what are ways that you network? (Other than cyburbia)
    Not my monkey, not my circus. - Old Polish Proverb

Registered
    Oct 2000
    I definitely believe in networking - getting involved in your local APA section/chapter, being aware of what's happening with who in the local Chamber of Commerce, etc.

It pays to be in the know.

As for sororities and fraternities - in planning I would say that their impact is minimal. A sororital/fraternal tie would be more helpful in a field like law, or business, I would imagine, rather than the pretty local focus of planning.

Registered
    Feb 2003
    Very important in case you need to get out of a community in a hurry (ie new job). I network through a local regional economic development partnership and by going to coffee/dinner w/area planner friends.
    I am not discouraged, because every wrong attempt discarded is another step forward. - Thomas Edison

Cyburbian Emeritus Bear Up North's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003
    As you know, this Bear is not a planner......however, networking is a vital part of my business life.

This networking takes place with executives in the same business as mine, a few NW Ohio rountable groups that I'm part of (safety-related, quality-related, plant management group), and involvement with the Safety Council of Northwest Ohio.

I usually jump at a chance to network because in almost every situation where I networked it ended-up being a win-win deal for me (and my biz) and whomever I happened to network with.

I'm Bear And I Can't Take It Anymore!
    Occupy Cyburbia!

     
    Registered
    Jun 2004
    In the past four years I have gotten to know many of the business owners here in the community. I also attend APA lunches when possible and the county that I work in has a group of municipal planners that meet once a month for lunch or happy hour to discuss work/projects. All of these things help me keep in contact outside of this crazy city.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Social Groups
    Cyburbia Issues and Help
    Replies: 0
    Last post: 16 Nov 2009, 1:46 PM
  2. Replies: 14
    Last post: 03 Feb 2008, 8:33 PM
  3. Retail sub-groups
    Economic and Community Development
    Replies: 4
    Last post: 10 Jul 2007, 1:50 PM