Urban planning community | #theplannerlife

+ Reply to thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst ... 2 3

Thread: Making place or planning chaos [broadband recommended]

Quote Originally posted by Wanigas?
    Except when the demander demands property owned by someone else in a desirable location (for example, someone who isn't in the mood to be a supplier because he likes his waterfront home) and decides to supply the property unto himself through coercive and violent means.
    How is this relevant?

Registered
    May 2005
    As many of the threads that jaws comments in often turn into debates over the role that government should play in planning, I really wish that someone would start an all encompassing thread devoted to the topic. It really is getting a little old hearing the same arguments in multiple threads. I'm not saying the viewpoint is necessarily wrong, but the debate should not spill over into every single thread that discusses Design, Regulations, Zoning, Architecture, Government, etc.

I'm not even sure what the thread should be called. Perhaps "Libertarian Ideas Related to Urban Planning"???????
    "I'm very important. I have many leather-bound books and my apartment smells of rich mahogany"

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Quote Originally posted by jaws
    How is this relevant?
    Ever hear of cheaters?

Quote Originally posted by btrage
    As many of the threads that jaws comments in often turn into debates over the role that government should play in planning, I really wish that someone would start an all encompassing thread devoted to the topic. It really is getting a little old hearing the same arguments in multiple threads. I'm not saying the viewpoint is necessarily wrong, but the debate should not spill over into every single thread that discusses Design, Regulations, Zoning, Architecture, Government, etc.

I'm not even sure what the thread should be called. Perhaps "Libertarian Ideas Related to Urban Planning"???????
    That's not fair. This thread was about zoning and government before I even got here.

Ever hear of cheaters?
    How is this relevant to urbanism?

Registered
    Aug 2001
    How is this relevant to urbanism?
    How can you propose an urbanism without politics - one with suppliers and demanders - and not address the effect cheaters will have on such a system?

How can you propose an urbanism without politics - one with suppliers and demanders - and not address the effect cheaters will have on such a system?
    That's a problem of law and order, not urbanism.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    That's a problem of law and order, not urbanism.
    And yet it takes people to make a place urban; inevitably individuals will fail to be responsible participants, easily disrupting the urban order.

And yet it takes people to make a place urban; inevitably individuals will fail to be responsible participants, easily disrupting the urban order.
    Lots of things could disrupt the urban order. Lightning could strike. For the third and final time, how is this relevant?

+ Reply to thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst ... 2 3

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 14
    Last post: 05 Jul 2011, 3:20 PM
  2. Replies: 6
    Last post: 22 Jan 2008, 7:41 AM
  3. Replies: 14
    Last post: 25 May 2007, 1:28 PM
  4. Replies: 17
    Last post: 22 Apr 2006, 1:17 AM
  5. Replies: 11