Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Interactive 3D visualization

Registered
    Feb 2005

Interactive 3D visualization

Hello all,

Is it still in demand? Being able to interactively explore the design by walking or flying through the 3D environment engages diverse minds (specially communities).

Thanks.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Our firm does this, and by the amount of work they have, yes it is still popular and growing more so.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    We unveiled a new software to our County Board today. It involvded a request for a zone change that would have allowed a 230-foot resort condo on the property. The 3-D software showed the relationship between the development potential if the change were approved vs. the surrounding properties of single story dwellings. But no good, they approved it anyway (3-2 vote). During the break, the chairperson approached the development services director and me and said: "don't ever do that again, it puts us in a bad spot." Proponents told us it was a cheap shot while opponents said it supported staff's (mine) original recommendation of denial to the planning commission.

I don't know why, but I still like the work. Good thing I have think skin. Wine tonight.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Quote Originally posted by RichmondJake
    We unveiled a new software to our County Board today. It involvded a request for a zone change that would have allowed a 230-foot resort condo on the property. The 3-D software showed the relationship between the development potential if the change were approved vs. the surrounding properties of single story dwellings. But no good, they approved it anyway (3-2 vote). During the break, the chairperson approached the development services director and me and said: "don't ever do that again, it puts us in a bad spot." Proponents told us it was a cheap shot while opponents said it supported staff's (mine) original recommendation of denial to the planning commission.

I don't know why, but I still like the work. Good thing I have think skin. Wine tonight.
    Definitely wine after that - maybe cognac. You were basically told by the chair not to do a thorough analysis or provide information to support your conclusion? Yeesh.
    Anyone want to adopt a dog?

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Yep. Jug's half gone. Cognac is a weekend thing....though I'm more partial to gin. At least they didn't fillet my a$$ in public.....

Edit...and we're doing it Thursday for our planning commission meeting, too. This will be fun.
    Last edited by Richmond Jake; 15 Feb 2005 at 9:57 PM. Reason: planning commission (lower case)

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Software Data visualization - best software?
    Information Technology
    Replies: 5
    Last post: 04 Dec 2013, 9:40 AM
  2. Technology Data visualization - Weave
    Information Technology
    Replies: 0
    Last post: 15 Oct 2012, 4:30 PM
  3. Replies: 18
    Last post: 11 Nov 2003, 10:55 AM
  4. New GIS/Visualization member
    Introduce Yourself
    Replies: 17