Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Roller Coaster Thread: Whee!

Registered
    Apr 2003
    Someplace between yesterday and tomorrow.
    I have been told that my driving reminds the passengers of a roller coaster!

I have not been on all that many, but I enjoy the physics and design of them.
    Invest in the things today, that provide the returns tomorrow.

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally posted by michaelskis
    I have been told that my driving reminds the passengers of a roller coaster!

I have not been on all that many, but I enjoy the physics and design of them.
    Please don't tell me that you enjoyed riding on any coasters which met safety standards approved by the Consumer Product Safety Commission! Those are bad rides and are no fun. The market can more effectively regulate safety standards because the coasters where too many people start dying on will become rather unpopular and people won't ride them any more.

Same thing with toxic pacifiers. Babies will stop buying them when companies are no longer able to adequately conceal deaths or obfuscate data using deceptive private studies and thereby avoid linkages to the deaths with their products. People should only buy their pacifiers from companies that can effectively avoid linkages with injuries and fatalities.

Registered
    Apr 2003
    Someplace between yesterday and tomorrow.
    Quote Originally posted by Maister
    Please don't tell me that you enjoyed riding on any coasters which met safety standards approved by the Consumer Product Safety Commission! Those are bad rides and are no fun. The market can more effectively regulate safety standards because the coasters where too many people start dying on will become rather unpopular and people won't ride them any more.

Same thing with toxic pacifiers. Babies will stop buying them when companies are no longer able to adequately conceal deaths or obfuscate data using deceptive private studies and thereby avoid linkages to the deaths with their products. People should only buy their pacifiers from companies that can effectively avoid linkages with injuries and fatalities.
    I don’t care to ride them. However, you are right about the safety factors. I theorize that people only enjoy roller coasters because they remind them of how political entities operate, with the potential of going full speed and out of control, with several twists and turns along the way. But unlike the government, once the ride ends, people can often exit the ride safely, unless the governmental safety council has not fully inspected that ride to ensure safety.

I expect a ride to be created known as 20th Century America where we will run past WWI, WWII, Panama, Iran-contra, Watergate, Peal Harbor, 17% housing interest rates, JFK, and Bill Clinton. But unlike most roller coasters, this one will just have its tracks end launching the coasters into a swamp full of electric eels, man eating alligators, sharks, barb wire, and the most terrifying aspect of them all, American Idol rejects such as William Hung.
    Invest in the things today, that provide the returns tomorrow.

I may have to swing by the park (Cedar Point) after work tonight. Crowds are typically smaller and you can walk-on rides if you get there late at night. I used to have a view of the park from my office when I was "downtown". Oh well.
    Have to tell the story of the one Cedar Point big-shot. I had lunch with two of their higher-ups, as we were doing some signs for them. We moderately ate at Cedar Point's TGI Friday's that they own and is attached to Castaway Bay. A week later I saw the guy's name in an article that published their salaries and bonuses. The guy made almost $300k last year (2005) and had a$225k bonus on top of that (because of performance). I was thinking, how can a guy who makes over a half a million a year eat at an "average" place like Friday's without being embarassed to be seen there by the caddy (who is doubling as a waiter) from country club? OH WELL.
    Who's gonna re-invent the wheel today?

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    Anybody watch the National Geographic Channel program about Supercoasters ?
    http://channel.nationalgeographic.co...supercoasters/
    Oddball
    Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves?
    Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
    Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
    From Kelly's Heroes (1970)

Are you sure you're not hurt ?
    No. Just some parts wake up faster than others.
    Broke parts take a little longer, though.
    From Electric Horseman (1979)

Cyburbian Emeritus Bear Up North's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003

Cedar Point's New Coaster

Cedar Point, located here in NW Ohio, is continually (15+ years) named the "best amusement park in the world" by the Amusement Park Association. It has about 15 roller coasters and just revealed another, a huge winged rolly-thing that will be built over the main entrance. Attached is the animated video that the park released. Methinks the idea to place it over the main entrance is just short of magnificent.

Whee!

Bear

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cJqhA...ure=g-logo-xit
    Occupy Cyburbia!

Registered
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally posted by Bear Up North View post
    Cedar Point, located here in NW Ohio, is continually (15+ years) named the "best amusement park in the world" by the Amusement Park Association.
    Reference? I can't find an Amusement Park Association and the Cedar Point website doesn't seem document it's claim. It is a great amusement park, I'll concede that point.
    “Death comes when memories of the past exceed the vision for the future.”

Registered
    May 2005
    I have not ridden many roller coasters, but my most memorable was the Zingo in Tulsa's Bell's Amusement Park (now closed). Apparently, the roller coaster is (or was) up for sale on e-bay. For the lumber? To dismantle and rebuild? I don't really know. But that thing was scary! At least as a 9 year old boy....
    The purpose of life is a life of purpose

Cyburbian Emeritus Bear Up North's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003
    Quote Originally posted by ofos View post
    Reference? I can't find an Amusement Park Association and the Cedar Point website doesn't seem document it's claim. It is a great amusement park, I'll concede that point.
    I guessed wrong at the organization that rates parks. Here ya go.....

Bear

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amuseme...y#2000_Winners
    Occupy Cyburbia!

Registered
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally posted by Bear Up North View post
    I guessed wrong at the organization that rates parks. Here ya go.....

Bear

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amuseme...y#2000_Winners
    Cool.
    “Death comes when memories of the past exceed the vision for the future.”

Registered
    Dec 2005
    Blog entries
    No coasters for me. My general contractor took his teenage daughter to Six Flags last week. I asked how it went and he said he rode a roller coaster to make her happy and he spent the next hour trying not to toss his cookies. We both agreed that we're getting old.
    "He defended the cause of the poor and needy, and so all went well. Is that not what it means to know me?" Jeremiah 22:16

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jul 2008
    I got spoiled by going to Six Flags: Magic Mountain in California a lot when I was younger. It's probably second only to Cedar Point when it comes to coasters. Just now that I've moved away, no other theme park has come close on the number of coasters for me to even warrant spending the money. I used to live right next to Six Flags when I was in Denver but the park had so few coasters that it didn't seem worthwhile to go.

+ Reply to thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 16
    Last post: 07 Jan 2013, 11:49 PM
  2. Roller derby
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 14
    Last post: 13 Nov 2012, 2:25 PM
  3. Replies: 18
    Last post: 15 Sep 2011, 8:45 PM
  4. Replies: 24