Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Driving Culture

Driving Culture

People in the US do all sorts of things while driving. From talking on their cell phones to eating ham burgers........brushing thier hair to putting thier lipstick on........Some even read news paper while driving.

I wonder, what the driving culture like in other developed and developing countries!

Pretty much the same in the UK. In theory, drinking (including non-alcoholic!) or eating at the same time as driving is illegal. Anything else is frowned upon but isn't actually an offence. People get away with lots of stuff, although I've never see anyone reading papers while they drive, just maps. If the police see them and can be bothered, they'll get their licence removed for a year or points on it for dangerous driving.
    Glorious Technicolor, Breath-Taking CinemaScope and Stereophonic Sound!

Registered
    Mar 2002
    No happy meals and driving?

Wow when i was making the bi weekly commute from Greensboro to DC I ate mc nuggets becouse it was NOT a burger and easy to just pop one of those grease traps in my mandables and keep hauling saturn hinny.

No ice cold coke?

Faints!
    "They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Ben Franklin

Remember this motto to live by: "Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, martini in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming 'WOO- HOO what a ride!'"

It hasn't actually stopped anybody doing it. They just stop doing it when they see a police car
    Glorious Technicolor, Breath-Taking CinemaScope and Stereophonic Sound!

maudit anglais
    Registered
    May 1997
    Every long weekend the Provincial (State) Police blitz the highways looking for idiot drivers. They always seem to catch a bumper crop.

This past weekend there was the amourous young couple caught driving while um..."driving". And the guy in the red mustang caught doing 170km/h who claimed that it was all an optical illusion, because his car is red - he was really only doing 100 km/h (the speed limit). Oh yeah, and the guy caught driving on the shoulder of the highway who claimed that he thought his car might break down at any time and that he wanted to already be on the shoulder when it happened.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Psychology of driving vs non
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 9
    Last post: 01 Jul 2005, 1:56 PM
  2. Replies: 2
    Last post: 20 Dec 2004, 3:45 PM
  3. Driving to school
    Design, Space, and Place
    Replies: 5
    Last post: 25 Aug 2004, 9:53 AM