To: Planning Board Date: January 5, 2005
From: Planning Department, Public Works Department & CONSULTANT Re: Tax Map x Lot x
Site Plan – Proposed Building XXX Drive & XXX Way
XXX Engineering, Inc. submitted drawings and information for the above-referenced project. DRC and the Town’s engineering consultant, XXX Associates LLP reviewed the submitted plans and information, and review comments were forwarded to the Applicant’s engineer. The Applicant submitted revised plans and information and we offer the following comments:
1. There are no checklist items.
Design Review Items:
1. The Applicant has not provided parking lot landscaping in accordance with sections 3.11.e and 3.09 of the Site Plan Regulations. The Applicant is requesting a waiver to this requirement.
2. The Applicant’s revised drainage report does not address the impacts (both pre- and post development) to the abutting properties in accordance with the regulations. Please note the predevelopment condition indicated one subcatchment and flow to the west. However, there are two separate abutting properties to the west and the individual impacts to each are not provided in the report. In addition, under the post development condition, flows will be directed to the southerly, easterly and westerly property lines of the site. The post development condition appears to indicate increases in runoff to the south and east will occur that does not comply with section 3.07 of the regulations (no increase in runoff). The Applicant should revise the analysis as necessary to address the impacts to each abutter. Please provide a summary table in the report that indicates the impacts to each individual abutter (both pre- and post development) to clarify how requirements of the regulations are achieved for this project.
3. The Applicant should address the following relative to the revised drainage report:
A. Post development reach 3 of the report (outlet structure 2 pipe-length of 57 feet) does not match the plan view and appears to be miss-labeled. Please review and revise to be consistent;
B. Subcatchments 1009, 1007, and 1006 do not include the riprap shown within the subcatchment areas. Please review and revise to include these areas consistent with the plans. In addition, please clarify the label for subcatchment 1006, which appears obliterated by hatching.
C. The limits of subcatchment 1004 delineated on the drainage area plan includes the driveway entrance from XXX Drive. However, the curbing, driveway high point, and grading for the driveway appear to indicate most of this runoff would drain toward the parking area and subcatchment 1001. Please review and revise to be representative and consistent with the proposed conditions.
D. The predevelopment portion of the report notes a runoff summary to Pond 108 and Pond 103. However, the plans (both pre- and post development area plans) and post development analysis do not include any mention of the runoff summary to these ponds. Please clarify.
E. The subcatchment areas (both pre- and post development) are based on using a hydrologic group “B” soil type. However, no information (such as a soil map and soil information for the representative soil type(s)) was provided in the report to substantiate this assumption. Please provide additional information to clarify how the hydrologic soil type was determined for the report.
F. The erosion control measures of the report (section IX) indicate staging and stockpile areas for equipment and building materials will be specified. However, the plans (both the site plan set and the drainage area plans) do not specify these areas. Please clarify and label these areas on the plans consistent with the report for clarity.
G. The length and inverts for Reach 1R – pipe outlet from structure 2) does not appear to be consistent with the plan information. Please review and revise to be consistent.
H. Please review the areas of the ponds at the indicated elevations which appear to measure less than those indicated in the pond routing calculations and revise accordingly.
I. Please verify the rainfall amount for the 50-year storm (5.6 inches?) and revise accordingly.
J. Please provide the separately submitted riprap calculations in the report.
K. Please provide a summary table for each pipe and piping system in the report.
L. Please provide a summary table for each swale and channel in the report.
4. The Applicant is proposing to drain about half of the site runoff to a detention basin adjacent to XXX Drive which outlets on a riprap slope adjacent to the proposed building. The proposed contours at the pipe outlet and downstream appear to indicate the runoff from the pond outlet pipe would flow toward the dumpster pad and lower parking area. However, the drainage report indicates a 4-foot wide by 2-foot deep swale (reach 4R of the report) that does not appear to be represented on the plans. Please clarify the design intent in this area with proper grading and information and update the plans and drainage report as necessary to be consistent.
5. The Applicant’s revised driveway sight distance plan and profiles do not include the southeasterly right of way along XXX Way for the southerly driveway. In addition, a portion the topographic information along the southerly sight line does not appear to extend to the sight line. Also, it appears tree clearing is necessary along the northerly sight line for the XXX Drive entrance that is not identified on the plans. We recommend the Applicant provide additional information to clarify the proper sight distance is provided in accordance with the regulations.
6. The loading spaces indicated by the Applicant with this latest submittal are located wholly within the building. The egress to and from the loading areas may be difficult (requiring multiple movements) without encroaching on the parking spaces depending on the type and size of delivery truck. We recommend the Applicant verify the size of vehicle (SU-30, etc.) and the suitability of the site for the access to the designated loading areas.
7. We recommend the Applicant provide the approval of the L.H.R.A. on the project drawings consistent with previous approvals (provide an approval block with appropriate signature). In addition, please provide the Owner’s signature on the site plan as typically required by the Town.
8. The proposed roof drain to detention basin 2 does not appear to have the minimum three feet of cover per section 3.07.g. In addition, the pipe type, length and slope of both roof drains are not provided as required. The Applicant should revise the design as necessary to provide proper cover and information in accordance with the regulations.
9. The Applicant is proposing a steep riprap embankment (2H:1V) adjacent to the paved travel way with a guardrail that extends to the property line. We recommend the Applicant provide a construction detail in the plan set of the proposed guardrail end section and a cross section detail which indicates the location (with dimensions) of the guardrail with respect to the proposed cape cod berm, edge of pavement, riprap slope and property line for proper construction.
10. We recommend the Applicant provide additional spot elevations along the curbing of the lower (westerly) driveway and parking area to clarify the grading design. Please note, it appears a 318 contour would be necessary behind the curb shown north and near the dumpster pad in the vicinity of the 318 contour label that extends to the northerly pavement corner. The grading in the pavement corner does not appear to provide a proper shoulder backing for installation of the curbing and the indicated guardrail in this location. In addition, it appears the proposed 318 contour is missing along the westerly property line. Also, proposed contours appear missing from the Akira Way driveway entrance. We recommend the Applicant review and revise the grading design to be complete and meeting the approval of the Town.
11. The Applicant‘s revised plan notes the existing guardrail located at the proposed XXX Way entrance is to be relocated. However, the plans do not address the limits of work (guardrail removal) and do not indicate the new location with proper taper and end section placement of the relocated guardrail as typically required by the Town. The Applicant shall provide additional information (including limits of removal and end section installation details, etc.) to clarify the work associated with removing and resetting the guardrail meeting the approval of the Town.
12. The Applicant should label the type of gas line pipe to the proposed building as required. In addition, please indicate the Owner’s name in the title block of sheet 6. Also, please provide a professional endorsement on sheet 4.
13. We recommend the Applicant clarify which catch basin is 2 shown for catch basin 24 at the intersection of XXX Drive and XXX Way on the Existing Conditions Plan. (Please note the subdivision plan indicates a 15” pipe from a headwall should be there.) In addition, the plan reference indicates a guy wire is attached to the utility pole along XXX Way. Please clarify/label and correct the plan as necessary.
14. The site plan indicates “172 L.F. of 15” ADS, S=0.005 ft/ft “ in the vicinity of the proposed sign at the Technology Drive entrance. However, there does not appear to be any pipe in this location. Please clarify.
15. The landscape plan appears to indicate two trees along XXX Way may be placed at the right of way. We recommend the Applicant relocate the trees outside the right of way.
16. We recommend the Applicant revise the details to include and/or address the following:
A. The revised typical permanent pavement repair detail on sheet 9 appears to indicate a layer between the cross hatched pavement and 6” crushed gravel which does not comply with the Town’s typical section and is not consistent with the typical pavement section on sheet 8. Please clarify.
B. The revised typical parking stall detail indicates an 18-foot minimum parking depth, which does not comply with the Town’s Zoning Ordinance (20-foot minimum). Please update to be consistent with the plans and regulations.
C. Please provide typical sewer construction notes as required by the regulations in the plan set.
D. Please note a polyethylene liner is to be installed in the catch basin detail and reference the polyethylene liner detail in the plan set for proper construction.
17. We recommend the Applicant address the DRC comments as follows:
A. Please verify the comments of the Sewer Division have been adequately addressed.
B. The Applicant shall provide a signed copy of the traffic report for the Planning Department’s file.
18. The Applicant shall dimension the location and size and clarify illumination of all signs on the plans per section 2303.A of the Zoning Regulations, which was recently enacted by the Town Council on November 8, 2004.
19. We recommend the Applicant verify the location and size of the easterly parking spaces adjacent to the covered walkway meets the approval of the Building Department and Zoning Officer.
Board Action Items:
1. The Applicant is requesting two waivers to the Site Plan Regulations as noted in his letter dated December 9, 2004.