Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Just How Safe Are You?

Cyburbian Emeritus Bear Up North's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003

Just How Safe Are You?

As you probably have guessed, this Bear is a big advocate of safety in the workplace. My company continues to win numerous safety awards. As part of our safety program we also promote (quite often) safety when away from the workplace.

Even though my company hasn't had an industrial (lost-time) injury since April of 2001 (well over one-million workplace labor hours) we have had a ton of folks who missed work because of home injuries.

One (1) guy was working on his back porch floor, wearing sandals, caught them on a floorboard and fell. He was off for awhile. Another guy was on a ladder, cleaning gutters, and fell. He was off for months with numerous broken bones.

This Bear tries to practice what he preaches. I try to be safe at home, especially if my work involves power saws, electricity, or ladders. So far.....so good.

What about you? How safe are you at home? Do you practice safe work practices at home? Do you wear a seat belt? Are you a safe driver? If doing something like wiring an electrical outlet do you double-check with a meter to make sure you have no power to your outlet?

Bear
    Occupy Cyburbia!

Registered
    Feb 2004
    I tend not to be a safe person generally speaking. I wear my seatbelt probably 75% of the time, but apart from work, I engage in all sorts of unnecesary risk. I justify this by saying it seems I live a charmed life, as I have had numerous instances where I have narrowly avoided death/serious injury for no good reason. Logical? No, but like I say my force field seems to be working fine.
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Registered
    Jul 1998
    Since my younger brother has all of the bad accident karma, I'm pretty safe. I don't think he has ever went 30 days without hurting himself....
    “As soon as public service ceases to be the chief business of the citizens, and they would rather serve with their money than with their persons, the State is not far from its fall”
    Jean-Jacques Rousseau

Registered
    Apr 2003
    Someplace between yesterday and tomorrow.
    I try to be safe most of the time. I never, ever, ever drive without a seat belt on because I have seen what happens. In HS a friend of mine was killed after we was tossed from a car during an accident, then the car landed on him. The two people still in the car had their seat belts on, and walked away. At home, I am mostly safe. There are something’s that might not be quite up to par, but it is better than most of the people I know.

Work on the other hand, being a Gov job, there are so many rules, but I am more worried about Maister flipping out because of pressure from our supervisor, and going postal.

We also walk up to people and tell them that their yard looks like a$$ and they don't take that so well at times... sometimes we bring a cop with us.
    Invest in the things today, that provide the returns tomorrow.

I'm very cautious and deliberate when working with power tools, tall ladders and electric. Yet somehow I managed to slice the tip of my left ring finger off while trimming a shim during a bathroom remodel.
    Je suis Charlie

Registered
    Sep 2001
    I try to be careful, but am pretty clumsy and a bleeder to boot. For every mile of trail I've built there is probably a pint of my blood along it from a cut/scrape. One cut I had bled so badly we actually named the trail hemmorage. Funny thing is that noe of these injuries required stiches or even a trip to the Dr.
    Too lazy to beat myself up for being to lazy to beat myself up for being too lazy to... well you get the point....

Registered
    Aug 2001
    I am always very careful. When working on anything electrical, for instance, I always try to remember to turn off the switch. Since I only have an aluminum ladder, I always set it in a pool of water so that it can't conduct electricity.
    Anyone want to adopt a dog?

moderator in moderation Suburb Repairman's avatar
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    I'm pretty accident prone, but rarely anything serious. The most serious was a shattered wrist falling off the roof while we were laying new shingles (used to be fully ambidextrous until that happened). I've also had minor shoulder and knee dislocations related to waterskiing and a whole pile of concussions from my time as a soccer (futbol) goalie.

I'm not good about taking safety seriously. The last time I helped the folks trim trees my mom freaked out because I was sitting on the limb I was cutting with a chainsaw (don't worry, I was on the right side of the limb). I do not own a pair of safety goggles/glasses or work gloves. Hmmmm... does this make me more RUGGED or just stupid?

"Oh, that is all well and good, but, voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. It works the same way in any country."

- Herman Göring at the Nuremburg trials (thoughts on democracy)

Registered
    Jan 2005
    Me, complete klutz... I can trip over nothing and fall flat on my face... its not as bad as it used to be but I still manage to give myself bruises on a regular basis.

As for safety - I'm a proponent of wearing helmets when snowboarding, skiing, or rollerblading... I've come too close in the past when I didn't have protective equipment to really hurting myself. Case-in-point - went skiing, did 16 cartwheels and hit a tree - at the last moment I put my arm up to stop my head from hitting said tree - broke both bones in my arm. 1. Hitting the tree and 2. with my head hitting my arm...

I'd be dead otherwise... so yeah, I try and be safe...
    Mitchbaby: Proud to be a :canada: planner and a :canada: surfer

Registered
    Apr 2002
    I think the stupidest choices I make are on my bike. For whatever reason, I feel like the traffic signals don't apply to me (they do) and I usually cruise though stop signs. I'm know I'm asking for an accident, but sometimes it's just so much fun. I do wear a helmet...

I wouldn't think of driving without wearing a seatbelt and would not let anyone ride with me who wasn't wearing one. And the first thing that comes to mind hearing "safe," yeah I'm mostly good about practicing that, too.

Registered
    Dec 2001
    I don't take my chances most of the time.. I don't "jump-scoot" laddders, I don't work on circuits with the cicuit closed, etc. But I'll smash fingers, cut, slice, scrap or otherwise hurt myself with anything I do.
    Dude, I'm cheesing so hard right now.

Registered
    Mar 2004
    I'm perfectly safe, I live in Detroit!

Registered
    Dec 2003
    I'm all about safety first. I alway make sure I have 9 or more beers when operating heavy machinery.
    A guy once told me, "Do not have any attachments, do not have anything in your life you are not willing to walk out on in 30 seconds flat if you spot the heat around the corner."

Neil McCauley (Robert DeNiro): Heat 1995

maudit anglais
    Registered
    May 1997
    I try to be really safe when working around the house. Always wear safety googles, shut off circuits before doing any wiring - I'll even shut down power to the whole house if I'm not sure exactly what is connected to what (one of the benefits of rewiring the house - I know what is on what circuit).

I'm also pretty lucky when it comes to accidents - the accident will happen, but I will be spared serious injury or only come close to hurting myself. Missed my foot with the circular saw by about an inch the other week doing a plunge cut on the floor while relocating a heating vent.

Registered
    Oct 2000
    After my insurance dropped me for having too many accidents in too little time, I've become a very safe driver. It wasn't that I was taking stupid chances before, I just wasn't paying attention, most specifically, running red lights. Not because I was trying to make the light, because I'd forgotten it was there. And especially since having the baby, I've become a VERY careful driver.

That said - I don't wear a helmet when bicycling, but mostly cycle on designated trails and paths that don't have vehicular traffic. I also don't remember to carry ID when I run.

But I do park my car in well lit areas of parking lots at night, and carry my keys in my hand upon leaving the building.

Safe? What's that?

As my real job is in construction[grading], safe is a relative term. Every time my doctor hears what I do for a living, he cringes! My job includes chain saws, shovels, heavy equipment, dump trucks, and other fun things. this is all while on 3 blood thinners, a bad back[one disk crushed and another on it's way], and too many miles and years to record for this stuff. Am currently out with a bad back, walking like the hunchback of Notre Dame. I love my job. I love my job. I love my job. Keep repeating this until it sinks in.

Cyburbian Emeritus Bear Up North's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003

Christmas Decorations & Ladders

Carefully opening an old thread.....just to remind all Cyburbians to practice good safety habits during the approaching holiday season.....

Primarily thinking about ladders. You.....yes you!.....will be propping that ladder against the front porch and scrambling up, strings of occasionally-functioning decorative lights in your cold and somewhat numb left hand. (Brain teasing you about why you waited until cold weather to do this chore. )

Your right hand is gripping each rung, as you move closer to your leave-clogged eave gutters. Because you left the ladder in the yard last week, when you changed the basketball rim's shredded net, it has some moisture in a frozen.....did he say "frozen....let me hear it...."frozen"....let me hear an "amen"...."amen".....state. That sucker is slippery!

Serious questions.....

Is the ladder rated for your weight?
    Are you in a location where the tumbling ladder, even if nobody on it, could hit a power line?
    Is the condition of the ground, for the ladder's "feet", solid. (Put your weight on the first rung and check it.)
    Does the ladder extend at least 3-feet above the roof line?
    Do you have a helper (such as a spouse or complaining teen kid) that can feed the light string out a window?
    Are you prepared to do this job by moving the ladder every few feet, rather than leaning?
    Do you have a safe angle between the ladder and the wall? Not too much, not too little.
    _____

Please pay attention to the rules above, be careful hanging those decorations, drink after you climb the ladder. Oh, if you do not follow the rules, you are on double-secret probation.

Warning - warning - waarning - NSFW.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YbN_MAUbLPM

Bear
    Occupy Cyburbia!

Registered
    Sep 1999
    I always wear a seat belt.

And I'm an advocate for hiring professionals to do any kind of potentially dangerous home improvements/repairs.

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    Christian Szell: Is it safe?... Is it safe?
    Babe: You're talking to me?
    Christian Szell: Is it safe?
    Babe: Is what safe?
    Babe: I don't know what you mean. I can't tell you something's safe or not, unless I know specifically what you're talking about.
    Babe: Tell me what the "it" refers to.
    Babe: Yes, it's safe, it's very safe, it's so safe you wouldn't believe it.
    Babe: No. It's not safe, it's... very dangerous, be careful.
    Marathon Man (1976)
    http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0074860/quotes
    Oddball
    Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves?
    Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
    Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
    From Kelly's Heroes (1970)

Are you sure you're not hurt ?
    No. Just some parts wake up faster than others.
    Broke parts take a little longer, though.
    From Electric Horseman (1979)

Registered
    Dec 2006
    I never drink beer when doing chores around the house.........
    Looking for Sanity
    In this Crazy Land Of Ours

I must be safe.............55 yrs old and never had a speeding ticket, never had a DUI, never in a wreck (just a couple minor fender benders), always wear seat belt (since paying $150 for not one day)

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    I am approaching being safe -
    Still single, no ex and no children;
    don't drink or smoke;
    don't own a ladder or power tools;
    don't own or ride a motorcycle, a snowmobile, or a jetski;
    don't snow ski any more ;
    no longer a Firefighter/EMT ;
    car insurance - no one under 25 yo drives my car;
    have a smoke detector; ....

so I ask you what else can I do to be safer ?
    Oddball
    Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves?
    Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
    Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
    From Kelly's Heroes (1970)

Are you sure you're not hurt ?
    No. Just some parts wake up faster than others.
    Broke parts take a little longer, though.
    From Electric Horseman (1979)

Registered
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally posted by JNA View post
    Give up Cyburbia? Dangerous to physical (carpal tunnel syndrome) and mental health.
    “Death comes when memories of the past exceed the vision for the future.”

Registered
    May 2005
    Blog entries
    Some things I am really safe about, while others I am completely not. For instance, I always wear my seatbelt, except for the rare instance when I'm packed in a backseat with other people like sardines and it's only a short trip and it's almost impossible to put on a seatbelt.

However, I never wear a bike helmet and do not own one.

At the same time, I am uber-paranoid about gun safety and avoid ladders if at all possible (and am very paranoid around them when I do have to use ladders).

However, I am probably not as safe around electricity, particularly when putting up holiday lights after it just rained/snowed. Yet I have yet to get electrocuted.
    "Life's a journey, not a destination"
    -Steven Tyler

Registered
    May 2005
    Quote Originally posted by JNA View post
    I am approaching being safe -
    Still single, no ex and no children;
    don't drink or smoke;
    don't own a ladder or power tools;
    don't own or ride a motorcycle, a snowmobile, or a jetski;
    don't snow ski any more ;
    no longer a Firefighter/EMT ;
    car insurance - no one under 25 yo drives my car;
    have a smoke detector; ....

Don't leave the house??

Nothing like being an agoraphobic to keep you safe.

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. ArcView 9.3 safe?
    Information Technology
    Replies: 7
    Last post: 25 Jul 2008, 12:00 PM
  2. Replies: 14
    Last post: 11 Oct 2005, 5:43 PM
  3. Funny, work safe, and worth it.
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 7