Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Lawrence KS and roundabouts

Registered
    Feb 2005

Lawrence KS and roundabouts

With the city installing more of these yearly, people "seem" to be having problems with them as the story lends towards. Is this common elsewhere, or just another Kansas thing?
    http://www.ljworld.com/section/citynews/story/197698
    Last edited by Tranplanner; 04 Mar 2005 at 1:29 PM. Reason: spelling

I think that generally motorists are "uncomfortable" when presented with something that they aren't familiar with and as this should pass once they use them a few times. A side benefit of this discomfort from the Roundabouts is that this generally means people will use extra caution when using them - I don't think that this can be a bad thing.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    I agree with Margin Walker.

Our firm's transportation division has done several for the state, as well as local governments. The fears dissipate as people get used to them.

Registered
    Dec 2003
    This is similar to what happened in Bend, Oregon when that city first began installing roundabouts. But over time (2-3 years), the public adjusted. And, they have gotten better at making them bike/ped friendly as well. They still have detractors, but in general, the public likes the way they keep traffic moving.
    "There's nothing wrong with America that can't be fixed by what's right with America." - Bill Clinton.

Registered
    Jun 2003
    I grew up with them in NJ, so I guess I don't know what the big deal is.
    Oddball
    Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves?
    Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
    Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
    From Kelly's Heroes (1970)

Are you sure you're not hurt ?
    No. Just some parts wake up faster than others.
    Broke parts take a little longer, though.
    From Electric Horseman (1979)

Registered
    Nov 2004
    They do require some training/adjusting, but I think they are great. Not popular in michigan, but drive through a few of them in upstate new york.

Registered
    Nov 2003
    Quote Originally posted by Chet
    I agree with Margin Walker.

Our firm's transportation division has done several for the state, as well as local governments. The fears dissipate as people get used to them.

My agency has been constructing a lot of roundabouts too. The roundabouts generally safer than a traditional 4-way intersection. When accidents do happen, they are less severe because vehicles are normally travelling at a lower rate of speed. Plus, most accomodate large trucks better. The curbs on the median are usually mountable, therefore trucks won't have the squeeze play when they turn on a traditional 4-way intersection.
    I am recognizing that the voice inside my head
    is urging me to be myself but never follow someone else
    Because opinions are like voices we all have a different kind". --Q-Tip

Registered
    Dec 2003
    I've dealt with them here and live with them. They may be great for moving vehicles and reducing major accidents that may happen at a regular intersection, but I still don't think they're great for pedestrians. Try crossing one and you'll know what I mean.
    A guy once told me, "Do not have any attachments, do not have anything in your life you are not willing to walk out on in 30 seconds flat if you spot the heat around the corner."

Neil McCauley (Robert DeNiro): Heat 1995

Roundabouts have become popular around here in developments. They should work for slowing the residents but they are a real pain during construction. If you make them large enough to navigate with a truck and trailer you make them too easy for people to speed around. If you make them small enough to do what they are intended to do, the usual no-parking sub contractors effectivly block the turn radia. I like them as a whole but in my real job i wish there was a way to avoid them. btw my boss hates them, but what is unusual about that? He hates everything.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jan 2005
    Tell people to suck it up and learn to drive. My community placed them in a new school complex and of course the teenagers had a few accidents the first few weeks but the roundabouts work well with keeping 2000 students on the go when they leave the school campus. It just takes some practice. If a bunch of new teenage drivers can catch on than anyone should be able to handle it!

Good luck!

Quote Originally posted by psylo
    With the city installing more of these yearly, people "seem" to be having problems with them as the story lends towards. Is this common elsewhere, or just another Kansas thing?
    http://www.ljworld.com/section/citynews/story/197698

An addition to my last post here. The Town of Pittsboro NC has had a roundabout as long as I can remember. This thing is not in a development of any kind, it is the town square, right in the middle of HW 64. The town is known as circle city as a result. As long as I attended NCSU, I traveled this road quite often and later as a long haul truck driver as well. In all these years, I saw no accidents there. Not to say that there were none, but that I saw none..Just follow the signs and slow down, that's what they are for. btw, The roundabout went around the courthouse.

Registered
    Mar 2005

Roundabouts trouble?

Heck I spent several years in Lawrence, I don't recall people being so thick that they couldn't get their heads around...a roundabout.

Question, though, do 'yield' signs not work as well? (this amy well be an ignorant question)

Registered
    Mar 2004

Keep them.....

There should be more traffic circles in appropriate places and at an appropriate scale. They are a great alternative to political stop lights, you know, the one's that either aren't warranted or are barely warranted..... The monster traffic circles (see Clearwater Fl) do create a pedestrian nightmare Plus, who likes waiting at a stop light anyway....certainly not the poorly timed kind....
    "The modern conservative is engaged in one of man's oldest exercises in moral philosophy; that is, the search for a superior moral justification for selfishness."
    John Kenneth Galbraith

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Roundabouts in Wisconsin
    Transportation Planning
    Replies: 15
    Last post: 06 Oct 2011, 8:54 PM
  2. Roundabouts
    Transportation Planning
    Replies: 22
    Last post: 26 Jan 2007, 12:06 PM
  3. Pedestrian crossings at roundabouts