Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Coping with horrible TV shows by giving them funny names

Registered
    Aug 2001

Coping with horrible TV shows by giving them funny names

My girlfriend likes to watch Will & Grace. I don't. To cope with the pain, I call it Shrill & Waste. That always makes me feel better.

It's not always bad, though. Last night was funny when the flaming gay character was trying to ask out the hot geeky homo, who was bird watching, and asked him, "I bet you've seen a cockatoo." Ha! That was pretty good.

I just can't stand Debra Messing.

What funny names do you give horrible TV shows? Have you heard any funny ones that you wish you had thought of?

For example Baywatch = Boobwatch. But everyone knows that. Not funny anymore. Please share your good ones!

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Not a bad show, but I frequently pronounce Star Trek as "Start Wreck"
    I guess I haven't come up with names recently because I don't watch tv much these days. Historical ones I recall:
    Porkin' Mindy (Mork and Mindy)
    Crappy Days (Happy Days)

Nowadays I'm more inclined to grant names to other things. I like to shop at a place whose name/logo was historically Meijer's Thrifty Acres (they seem to have dropped the Thrifty Acres part) and they are called Meijer's Shifty Takers. Then there's K-Mart, which is pronounced 'Came Apart'. A News Magazine I sometimes look at is called 'Useless News and World Distort' (i.e. US News and World Report)
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Quote Originally posted by Maister
    Star Trek as "Start Wreck"
    Porkin' Mindy (Mork and Mindy)
    K-Mart, which is pronounced 'Came Apart'
    'Useless News and World Distort' (i.e. US News and World Report)
    These are all good! New to me, never heard of them. Very creative. I like 'em!!

Registered
    Dec 2001
    yes.. like I refer to Wal-Mart as Mall-Mart, Kroger as Krogér, Target as Targét. (Now I'm shopping high-class!)

Tv shows? "The Simpsons" is the "The Chimpsons" because my son called it that when he was 2 yrs old. "Sabrina, the teenaged witch" is "Sabrina, the teenaged _______"(you know the answer).
    Dude, I'm cheesing so hard right now.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Quote Originally posted by boiker
    "Sabrina, the teenaged _______"(you know the answer).
    Snitch? No one likes a snitch, especially teen-ages.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    I refer to all CSI progams as CSI:PVU (parking violations unit) aib a SNL or MadTV sketch (I forget which one). And NYPD Blue as NYPD Nude.

There are many shows I refer to as "that s_ _t" but I don't think I ever referred to a show by a goofy name as standard practice with the exceptions above.
    Information necessitating a change of design will be conveyed to the designer after and only after the design is complete. (Often called the 'Now They Tell Us' Law) - Fyfe's First Law of Revision

We don't believe in planners and deciders making the decisions on behalf of Americans. -- George W. Bush , Scranton, PA -- 09/06/2000

Quote Originally posted by GeogPlanner
    I refer to all CSI progams as CSI:PVU (parking violations unit) aib a SNL or MadTV sketch (I forget which one). And NYPD Blue as NYPD Nude.

There are many shows I refer to as "that s_ _t" but I don't think I ever referred to a show by a goofy name as standard practice with the exceptions above.
    My dad's favorite show is CSI. So, we were in a resturant with served smothered chicken, so I joked with him that they should have CSI: Resturant-case of the smothered chicken.

Registered
    Oct 2001
    Quote Originally posted by boiker
    yes.. like I refer to Wal-Mart as Mall-Mart, Kroger as Krogér, Target as Targét. (Now I'm shopping high-class!)

Winn-Dixie was always "Winn Dick-me"...
    -----------------------------------------------------------------
    C'mon and get me you twist of fate
    I'm standing right here Mr. Destiny
    If you want to talk well then I'll relate
    If you don't so what cause you don't scare me

Registered
    Apr 2004
    Blog entries
    Our Kroger knock-off stores in Colo are King Soopers---or King Poopers

HA!

Okay, I'm done...

...oh and I have no shows to offer.
    You get all squeezed up inside/Like the days were carved in stone/You get all wired up inside/And it's bad to be alone

You can go out, you can take a ride/And when you get out on your own/You get all smoothed out inside/And it's good to be alone
    -Peart

Registered
    Jul 2003
    I can't even remember the actual name of the show but David Carradine did a "sequel" to Kung Fu where he was the grandson (or something) of Quai Chang Cain and his son was a police officer. My husband kept watching it long after it was obvious that it SUCKED -- hoping against hope that it would get better, I guess. I always referred to that show as "Spawn of Kung Fu".

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Quote Originally posted by Mastiff
    Winn-Dixie was always "Winn Dick-me"...
    Win Dixie meets Will and Grace: Him Dick Me ... ?

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 19
    Last post: 09 Mar 2015, 11:27 AM
  2. Funny car names
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 34
    Last post: 04 Jun 2010, 4:43 PM
  3. Replies: 26
    Last post: 17 Sep 2005, 5:01 PM
  4. Replies: 24
    Last post: 01 Feb 2004, 5:54 PM