Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Heard back from grad program?

Registered
    Oct 2004
    Quote Originally posted by FueledByRamen
    I'm still waiting on Portland State.

its the only school I applied to......Im starting to wonder how smart that was....

Grrrr....and if I dont get a GRA or something I can't go anyway. Thats one reason I didnt apply to more schools, I couldnt afford the fees!
    If you havn't heard from Portland yet that might be a good sign...I got my rejection two days ago. On the upside, UIC accepted me. Still waiting on Berkkeley & UT Austin...

Registered
    Jan 2005

Can't decide. . .

Quote Originally posted by situate
    So I guess I was wrong about the 4/1 Columbia notification date -- I got my offer of admission today, which I am very excited about!
    I was also offered admission to Columbia. I can't decide whether to attend UW, Michigan, or Columbia. . .Throughout the app process, columbia wasn't really responsive to my questions but I don't want this to be the decisive factor! Also. . .no word on financial package. . .any thoughts?? What makes you want to attend Columbia over other programs?

Registered
    Mar 2005
    I heard from Portland this week
    I got my letter from PennDesign this week, but was emailed about it a month ago
    I heard from MIT last week, by phone, no mail yet...
    I heard from UMD 2 weeks ago,
    I heard form Rutgers 2 weeks ago

Still waiting on GaTech and Virginia Tech. They assure me it'll be in a couple of weeks

Registered
    Oct 2003
    Quote Originally posted by Urbanavenger
    If you havn't heard from Portland yet that might be a good sign...I got my rejection two days ago. On the upside, UIC accepted me. Still waiting on Berkkeley & UT Austin...

I did finally hear from them. I got in, but I didnt get a GRA or anything...so I dont think I can afford to go. I dont know what I was thinking...if I wouldve gotten a GRA, it wouldve been doable, but its just too expensive without one. Sorry to be all mopey, but Im really sad right now.

Registered
    Mar 2005
    Quote Originally posted by scott
    I got into Penn, Cornell and UMich, but haven't heard from MIT or Harvard yet.

I'm interested in knowing what your thoughts are on Penn's program.
    It's definitely an all-around good, nationally-recognized program. I get the vague sense that they've slipped slightly in recent years, but that shouldn't deter anyone. I'm not attending their open house simply because their FA package was very weak (as in over 30K less than MIT or Cornell!).

As anyone will tell you, even a no-name program can be good if it's stong where your interests lie, and a great program can fail you if it isn't. I got into the GSD's program, for instance, but I applied with the typical "well, it's Harvard so it must be good" attitude. I've since realized that the program's primary focuses are not of great interest to me--so I paid $75 for a nice letter with the Harvard name on it, essentially.

As only one of many factors, I would look into which faculty members have interests that mirror or complement yours.

Registered
    Mar 2005

don't worry, I'm mopey too

Quote Originally posted by FueledByRamen
    I did finally hear from them. I got in, but I didnt get a GRA or anything...so I dont think I can afford to go. I dont know what I was thinking...if I wouldve gotten a GRA, it wouldve been doable, but its just too expensive without one. Sorry to be all mopey, but Im really sad right now.
    Hi, also been accepted to PSU, my top choice, but without any aid. Also didn't quite realize it was so pricey somehow. Can't really bring myself to turn down schloarships elsewhere...

Registered
    Jan 2005
    Although not Planning related, I am waiting to hear back from law schools......Canadian schools only.

Out of the 5, so far 1 rejection and four outstanding......time ticks.....
    "First we shape our buildings, and then our buildings start shaping us." - Sir Winston Churchill

     
    Registered
    Mar 2005
    I have heard back from all 6 schools I applied to. I am trying to decide between UPenn & Columbia, any thoughts?

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Mar 2005
    i have been accepted to Penn, MIT, UNC, UT-Austin, and Maryland, though i am deciding among the first three. any thoughts? i am interested in land use/design and some community development.

Registered
    Mar 2005
    Bizarre circumstances led me to apply to only two schools - Columbia and the Masters of Urban Design program at Carnegie Mellon - and I haven't really decided which one to choose. While the MUD program at CMU is not well-known *at all*, I'm interested in urban design and their program sounds really neat, for lack of a better word I like Columbia because of its location (of course) and I know a few people in planning who recommended it to me. Unfortunately, they don't seem to have much of a design component...

So -- as you can see, I am very confused about everything from career direction to what degree I want! Are you going to the open house on Monday? I haven't heard anything about aid either.

(as for being unresponsive - a friend of mine went there for undergrad and said the administration is notorious for being unhelpful. hopefully just the College??)

Quote Originally posted by ACarea
    I was also offered admission to Columbia. I can't decide whether to attend UW, Michigan, or Columbia. . .Throughout the app process, columbia wasn't really responsive to my questions but I don't want this to be the decisive factor! Also. . .no word on financial package. . .any thoughts?? What makes you want to attend Columbia over other programs?

Registered
    Jan 2005
    Quote Originally posted by situate
    Bizarre circumstances led me to apply to only two schools - Columbia and the Masters of Urban Design program at Carnegie Mellon - and I haven't really decided which one to choose. While the MUD program at CMU is not well-known *at all*, I'm interested in urban design and their program sounds really neat, for lack of a better word I like Columbia because of its location (of course) and I know a few people in planning who recommended it to me. Unfortunately, they don't seem to have much of a design component...

So -- as you can see, I am very confused about everything from career direction to what degree I want! Are you going to the open house on Monday? I haven't heard anything about aid either.

(as for being unresponsive - a friend of mine went there for undergrad and said the administration is notorious for being unhelpful. hopefully just the College??)
    I am also attending the open house and haven't heard anything on financial assistance! If the program is trying to attract incoming students, being unresponsive is definitely not helping them. I also didn't receive details on the open house except a list of activities for the day. Right now, I am leaning towards UMich but maybe that will change after the open house. . .I guess I will see you there!

Registered
    Jul 2004
    Quote Originally posted by sll
    So far I've been accepted to MIT, Berkeley and UT Austin. Has anyone received fellowship/scholarship/financial aid offers from any of these schools yet?
    I spoke to the program director at UT-Austin after I got my admission letter. Apparently they don't make decisions on financial aid until the first week of April.

Frankly I'm not very optimistic about the prospects for aid there. The graduate director told me that they just don't have a lot of resources for student aid. Although you might have a better shot since you're out of state.

Registered
    Jan 2005
    Quote Originally posted by cmd uw
    Although not Planning related, I am waiting to hear back from law schools......Canadian schools only.

Out of the 5, so far 1 rejection and four outstanding......time ticks.....
    *update*

ANOTHER rejection letter......

3 outstanding.
    "First we shape our buildings, and then our buildings start shaping us." - Sir Winston Churchill

     
    Registered
    Apr 2005

same decision

I'm in the process of making the same decision right now -- and while my gut tells me to go to Columbia, I'm having a really hard time justifying that decision since the school seems to not be very responsive to its applicants. I did talk to a current student at Columbia who said that the professors are great, he's learning a lot, and that the new Dean is really trying to improve the program, the funding, and the facilities...and he wasn't somebody that Columbia recommended I talk to, he was just a current student who I found on Columbia's website who has similar interests to mine, academically. Please let me know your thoughts...

     
    Registered
    Mar 2005

Columbia dilemma

Quote Originally posted by amyb
    I'm in the process of making the same decision right now -- and while my gut tells me to go to Columbia, I'm having a really hard time justifying that decision since the school seems to not be very responsive to its applicants. I did talk to a current student at Columbia who said that the professors are great, he's learning a lot, and that the new Dean is really trying to improve the program, the funding, and the facilities...and he wasn't somebody that Columbia recommended I talk to, he was just a current student who I found on Columbia's website who has similar interests to mine, academically. Please let me know your thoughts...
    I am in a similar situation. I really want to attend Columbia, as well, but I have not made my final decision yet. I was accepted into Columbia, UPenn, Maryland, and NYU. I really would love to be In NYC and when I visited the Morningside Heights campus it seemed to be a really great place. I feel that so far that the school has appeared very exclusive and not very welcoming, but I am hoping that it is only like that bc we have not yet accepted. My intuition tells me that Columbia would be the best choice for me, but I am still having trouble making the final decision. I have heard that other students attending the school have had great experiences both socially and academically... maybe the administration is just not that responsive.

Registered
    Mar 2005

In response...

Quote Originally posted by smlee
    I am in a similar situation. I really want to attend Columbia, as well, but I have not made my final decision yet. I was accepted into Columbia, UPenn, Maryland, and NYU. I really would love to be In NYC and when I visited the Morningside Heights campus it seemed to be a really great place. I feel that so far that the school has appeared very exclusive and not very welcoming, but I am hoping that it is only like that bc we have not yet accepted. My intuition tells me that Columbia would be the best choice for me, but I am still having trouble making the final decision. I have heard that other students attending the school have had great experiences both socially and academically... maybe the administration is just not that responsive.
    Hi amby and smlee,

Iíve expressed similar concerns regarding Columbia on another thead. As you may have experienced firsthand, the GSAPP seems rather unresponsive and Iíve been informed from numerous sources that the urban planning curriculum is not quite as structured as, say, Pennís MCP program. Iíve been struggling with the decision for numerous reasons: a scholarship, the location in NYC, and the option to take many courses throughout Columbia. So, like you, Iím also finding it difficult to justify paying large sums of money for the program.

As for NYU, I was not at the accepted student day last week (though I was in NYC the week before and had the opportunity to discuss Wagner with a small group of prospective students, a current student, Bethany Godsoe, and Dean Ellen Schall). Based on what Iíve gathered from Wagnerís accepted student listserv, the schoolís overarching strength seems to be its tight-knit community. Moreover, the urban planning students, according to Bethany, are an especially strong community within Wagner.

Among Columbia, NYU, and Penn, Iím leaning towards Penn, largely due to the feedback Iíve received from current students at the school. It appears to be a very solid program with a vibrant student community. I would suggest looking over the forum with the numerous responses from PennPlanner, whom has been very responsive to questions regarding Pennís MCP. Aside from these three schools, Iím also strongly considering UIC, which is incredibly affordable since Iím an Illinois residentÖthough Iím from Chicagoland and think I need to experience something newÖ

By the way, to all those prospective Wagner MUP students out there, I suggest we get a thread going on this website (and quickly, too)...

Registered
    Jan 2005

so confusing. . .

I am also having a hard time justifying my decision (if I choose Columbia) because of the money situation and the actual program. I discussed with a current columbia planning student about my dilemma in choosing a program. The student told me about his application process last year (he ended up only applying to NY schools) and that the dean of admissions at Harvard told him that Berkeley has one of the best programs! What?!? That doesn't help me at all. . .Every student I talked to said they chose Columbia for the location and not necessarily for the quality of the program. I know that the new Dean at Columbia is trying new things to improve the program but I also don't want to be their "guinea pig" either. . .I also feel the animosity b/n the architecture program and planning program over resources. . .plus, I hear that one of the well known professor will be on sabbatical and they don't have a lot of professors in the planning dpt to begin with!

Registered
    Apr 2005
    I am also having a hard time justifying my decision (if I choose Columbia) because of the money situation and the actual program. I discussed with a current columbia planning student about my dilemma in choosing a program. The student told me about his application process last year (he ended up only applying to NY schools) and that the dean of admissions at Harvard told him that Berkeley has one of the best programs! What?!? That doesn't help me at all. . .Every student I talked to said they chose Columbia for the location and not necessarily for the quality of the program. I know that the new Dean at Columbia is trying new things to improve the program but I also don't want to be their "guinea pig" either. . .I also feel the animosity b/n the architecture program and planning program over resources. . .plus, I hear that one of the well known professor will be on sabbatical and they don't have a lot of professors in the planning dpt to begin with!
    Is Berkeley part of your decision? B/c that's my main decision: Columbia or Berkeley. What I gathered from the Columbia open house is that there are a lot of opportunities to make connections while in NY b/c the program tries to facilitate having internships throughout your time in school--which sounds great. But Berkeley is very heavy on research with a lot of opportunities to work on research projects with professors--also great. And the faculty seems to be more involved with students at Berkeley--but I'm not sure about that. My dilemma currently seems to be deciding b/w a great program and a great city with incomparable urban resources. Oh, and also funding at Berkeley after your first semester (I have been told by current students who seem to be very close and in love with the program) is easier to come by. This is what I've gathered....in case anyone else is losng their mind over this same decision.

     
    Registered
    Apr 2005
    Oh -- do you mind telling me who you heard will be on sabattical from Columbia? that may seriously influence my decision...

     
    Registered
    Mar 2005

Columbia cont'd

Oh -- do you mind telling me who you heard will be on sabattical from Columbia? that may seriously influence my decision...
    I'm actually in an unusual situation deciding between Columbia & UPenn because Columbia is actually offering more scholarship money. I have heard that they are pretty stingy with financial aid, so I was surprised to find out that they were offering me the best deal. I'm still having a hard time, however, because I keep hearing such wonderful things about UPenn's program... and Columbia (both faculty & students) have been relatively unresponsive. I love Columbia's location and the idea of going there seems really exciting... but I don't know if that's enough reason to go there.

What did people think about Columbia's Open House? I was unable to attend.

Thanks!

Registered
    Mar 2005
    Quote Originally posted by smlee
    I'm actually in an unusual situation deciding between Columbia & UPenn because Columbia is actually offering more scholarship money. I have heard that they are pretty stingy with financial aid, so I was surprised to find out that they were offering me the best deal. I'm still having a hard time, however, because I keep hearing such wonderful things about UPenn's program... and Columbia (both faculty & students) have been relatively unresponsive. I love Columbia's location and the idea of going there seems really exciting... but I don't know if that's enough reason to go there.

What did people think about Columbia's Open House? I was unable to attend.

Thanks!
    Your situation may not be as unusual as it seems. I was also offered a larger scholarship at Columbia than at Penn. Your assessment of both programs is accurate though. Essentially a great program vs. a great location. I was unable to make Columbia's open house as well.

Registered
    Oct 2003
    Quote Originally posted by roger
    I spoke to the program director at UT-Austin after I got my admission letter. Apparently they don't make decisions on financial aid until the first week of April.

Frankly I'm not very optimistic about the prospects for aid there. The graduate director told me that they just don't have a lot of resources for student aid. Although you might have a better shot since you're out of state.

At least UT's tuition is pretty cheap. $3,000 per year for a Texas resident is much better than Portland State's $17,000 per year for a Non-res.

I am, by the way, thinking about trying to get in a late application to Texas. I have a friend in the department who used to be the graduate advisor and she is trying to help me.

Texas Cost

Portland Cost

Registered
    Apr 2005
    Quote Originally posted by cyburbian
    Your situation may not be as unusual as it seems. I was also offered a larger scholarship at Columbia than at Penn. Your assessment of both programs is accurate though. Essentially a great program vs. a great location. I was unable to make Columbia's open house as well.
    I went to Columbia's open house and I was more impressed than I thought I would be. I think what I'm essentially getting from current students at all schools is that the program is what you make of it and I got the sense that Columbia is continually working hard to make the program even better. I'm not sure why it seems to be getting such negative reviews across this forum. i think it also depends on what you want to do...if you're looking for vocational training where the program is more rigid with more hand-holding then, yes, Columbia would probably be frustrating.

I've asked this before but haven't gotten much of a response, so here's one more try:
    Berkeley or Columbia and why?
    Last edited by NHPlanner; 07 Feb 2006 at 12:37 PM.

Registered
    Mar 2005

Ok

Quote Originally posted by Monacan
    I've asked this before but haven't gotten much of a response, so here's one more try:
    Between Columbia and BerkeleyÖI think it really comes down to which coast you'd rather be on after graduation...

Anyway, in regards to Columbia, you make a good point...programs often come down to what you make of them. Also, since you attended the open house, could you provide some more information on it?

Nevertheless, though I have been one to express concern regarding Columbia, having reconsidered the option more and discussing it with professors, I think I'll be there in the fall... Penn does seem to have a great program, but in terms of location, network, and job placement upon graduation, Columbia excels by far (if youíre interested in living and working in NYC, which I am). Moreover, having looked over Columbia's website, they have attracted outstanding students to the program, which is nearly as important as the programís professors in creating an excellent learning environment (yes, Iíve been a bit critical of the program until now, but anyone making such a sizable investment of their time, money, and future career would be).

Quote Originally posted by Monacan
    I don't think that Berkeley really has a planning department, or at least I have yet to see a post from anyone who has actually attended this program. That being said, I have a bachelor's degree from Berkeley and so am familiar with the college and the area, if not the planning department. I am a west coast person and so would select Berkeley simply for that reason.

Pluses: The 3 geography classes I took were all outstanding. The Bay Area and UCB both have a large Asian population and focus which is a big plus if you are interested in the Pacific Rim and International development and trade. The whole Bay Area with UCB, UCSF, Stanford and the Silicon Valley is a center for emerging computer, telecommunication and biomedical technologies. California is steeped in Spanish tradition and land ownership patterns much different from the East Coast. CA has a large and growing hispanic population which will be guiding planning decisions for the decades to come. Being a part of planning for a changing demographic base while living within that change and experiencing it first hand would be about as exciting a prospect as I can imagine. Almost half of CA land is in public ownership, leading to very different scenarios, points of view and potential planning solutions than in the East (I would think.)

Negatives: While at Berkeley, I had zero, zilch, absolutely no female professors. This is a major problem. Also, the main professor I was interested in taking classes from turned out to be in what I gathered to be permanent research status rather than teaching classes. UCB focuses upon research and so I would be sure to ask any professors who you are interested in studying under whether they are accepting new graduate students to advise. If you are interested in research, this would be an excellent school to attend.

+ Reply to thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. Boston's Back Streets program - successful?
    Economic and Community Development
    Replies: 2
    Last post: 11 Aug 2013, 4:04 PM
  2. Replies: 6
    Last post: 25 Mar 2012, 12:47 PM
  3. Vehicle buy-back program
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 10
    Last post: 13 Feb 2012, 5:05 PM
  4. Replies: 6
    Last post: 04 Jun 2011, 1:43 PM
  5. Clemson grad program