Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Finding a job out of undergrad

     
    Registered
    Dec 2004

Finding a job out of undergrad

I am a senior at Colby College in Maine, and am interested in going in to planning. I've looked around at some grad school, but many have strongly recommended working for a little bit first - to get some experience. I was wondering if anyone had any advice for how to go about looking for this type of job. Any advice anyone can offer. Thanks, I appreciate it!

Registered
    Mar 2004
    I absolutely agree that you should work for a while first. I came out of undergrad and started working as an intern. Provided that the agency/firm you are working for has the potential to eventually hire someone full-time, starting as in intern is a great way to smoothly slide in without any experience.

Also, if you're going to eventually apply to grad school, I also suggest serving on town/city planning boards, and trying to absorb as much random information about the field as possible.

NIMBY asshatterer Plus Richmond Jake's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2001
    Quote Originally posted by annie
    ....[snip].... starting as in intern is a great way to smoothly slide in without any experience....[snip]....
    No, don't....must...resist....do. not. respond.

If it's possible?

What about a summer internship then start the grad program in the fall?

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Dec 2004
    I'm also an undergrad (currently on a Fulbright abroad) looking for a job or internship that's even remotely planning related...I was an English major, though I'm also interested in graduate school for urban planning. I really haven't had much luck finding anything. Is there much out there for people who don't have planning-related B.A.s? I've compiled a list of all the fields I can think of that are related to planning, and I've started doing internet searches on those individually, but it's still not looking too great...any advice, I guess?

Registered
    Aug 2001
    The internship route is the easiest way into the field. Some will disagree, but I found it very difficult to get the first job, when everyone was asking for a bachelor's degree and two years of experience. That may be a characteristic of the regional market I was in. To get past it, you might look at small, rural communities, especially if you feel up to the challenge of being the sole person in the office. The non-profit world has some good planning-related jobs. Main Street programs are a good example.
    Anyone want to adopt a dog?

Registered
    Apr 2003
    Someplace between yesterday and tomorrow.
    YES… GET A JOB BEFORE GRAD SCHOOL. I hope that I was clear with that. I was told by a few profs to do that, and I am very happy that I did. I did have to move to a place that I did not like for a year, but then I had enough experence to move into a better job and back to the midwest. I have been working for 2 ½ years now, and I just started Grad School. The best part is work pays for it.

What it will do is give you a better idea of what is expected of you as a planner, what skills you will need to improve on to make your self marketable, and have a better understanding to how the “real world” really is. I also know that my professors like it when I speak up in class to give an insight into how current issues are influencing planning decisions and how we have handled development in particular cases.
    Not my monkey, not my circus. - Old Polish Proverb

Registered
    Mar 2004
    I went to grad school in planning straight out of undergrad. The thing about it is: MAKE SURE you know that planning is the route you want to go. I'm totally satisfied with my program, but there are so many planning-related fields that I wish I had had some job experience to work out exactly what I wanted out of school. Also, make sure you're up for another two years of school. It's easy to get burned out on school when you're facing an additional two years after living your whole life with schoolwork!

Registered
    Jan 2005
    I agree with most posts here.......work experience is beneficial. In my classes (Ppanning grad school) the people that have experience and continue to work seem to have a much greater understanding of the overall planning picture. They seem to be further along and contribute much more to the seminars. The pace is very fast in grad school, so the more you understand before you get there the better off you'll be.

Registered
    Feb 2005
    I went to grad school in planning straight out of undergrad.
    Going that same route myself, based on the advice of a lot of people who said the same thing.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Quote Originally posted by Crazeeeguy
    ...The thing about it is: MAKE SURE you know that planning is the route you want to go....
    Exactly! Even if it is planning, the time you spend working will likely give you an idea of what you like most - long range planning, current planning, transportation planning, environmental planning, urban design, economic development, parks planning, etc. Then you can tailor a graduate program and research topic to your interest. You will be much better prepared when you graduate.
    Anyone want to adopt a dog?

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. New Member finding his way
    Introduce Yourself
    Replies: 7
    Last post: 01 Mar 2011, 1:43 PM
  2. Finding Relatives
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 10
    Last post: 27 Jan 2010, 7:00 PM
  3. Finding an internship