Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Planning vs. landscape architecture schools

Registered
    Feb 2005

Planning vs. landscape architecture schools

I am currently considering doing a master's degree in planning.

If I am interested in working in the private sector doing planning work in regard to hotels, resorts, and tourism projects, am I better off with a degree in planning or landscape architecture?

Two people I have talked to recommended landscape architecture. Anybody have any thoughts on what type of program to pursue?

Thank you,

Registered
    Mar 2004
    If you care about design rather than policy, DO LANDSCAPE ARCHITECTURE. I wish I'd known that landscape architects do all of the cool urban design work before I went to planning school.

Registered
    Jan 2005
    There are urban design degrees, which could fit what you are hoping to do. If you enjoy the land design aspects of the projects, then Landscape Architecture is for you. Urban Design is more the form and function.
    A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools. -Douglas Adams

Registered
    Feb 2005

Pont to Add

I guess the other point to add is that I am not very good at drawing. So based on that fact, and my interests stated above, which degree makes more sense - landscape architecture, planning or urban design?

I'm a landscape architect. To be a landscape architect, u gotta know how to design. It doesn't matter whether u can draw nice perspective or present good drawing or not. Though, knowing how to design nice landscape regarding to function, aesthetic, users requirement... is more important. You have many ways to show your design, no need to be able to draw perfectly.
    If u enjoy designing, then be a landscape architect.
    Universe is not wide enough to be planned.

Registered
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally posted by annie
    If you care about design rather than policy, DO LANDSCAPE ARCHITECTURE. I wish I'd known that landscape architects do all of the cool urban design work before I went to planning school.
    Annie's right - landscape architects do the design. But planners can do more than policy - as evidenced by the fact that both Annie and I are concentrating in real estate development and learning about green building. Because planning is so inter-disciplinary, try to find a school that allows you to branch out into design, business, law, public policy/administration, public health, etc., because the further you get into planning, the more you'll realize that knowing about all aspects of the urban environment will help you become more effective

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 2
    Last post: 12 Sep 2010, 9:55 AM
  2. Landscape architecture - environmental planning
    Career Development and Advice
    Replies: 1
    Last post: 13 May 2006, 8:48 PM
  3. Replies: 5
    Last post: 28 Aug 2002, 2:45 PM
  4. Replies: 9
    Last post: 16 Apr 2002, 1:08 AM