Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Application question

Registered
    Dec 2004

Application question

I saw a job advert for a planning job with a former emplyer (see http://www.cyburbia.org/forums/showthread.php?t=16016)

The ad said "Applications may be sent to [the] Board of County Commissioners" and gave the PO Box.

I have sent a .pdf and .doc of my cover letter and resume to the Assistant County Administator (who's phone number was also given.)

I have a question: Would you Cyburbians also send the cover letter and resume directly to each of the members of the Board?

The job is in the rural west, I live in the Mid-Atlantic. I just happen to be going out to the place where the job is located and wanted to try and set up a meeting with the BOCC (or whomever..I'm fairly sure they do not have a professional HR person) and I am afraid that I might be there before the snail mail...

Part of me is saying - do not rock the boat - the other is saying get the resume and killer cover letter in front of the people doing the hiring...

Help?
    NATURE WASTES SPACE
    PAVEMENT IS OUR SALVATION

Zeroxed signs found along Pacific Coast Highway in 1990. Proudly hanging in my office ever since... ;)

NIMBY asshatterer Plus Richmond Jake's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2001
    Quote Originally posted by Off Width
    ...[snip]...The ad said "Applications may be sent to [the] Board of County Commissioners" and gave the PO Box....[snip]...I have a question: Would you Cyburbians also send the cover letter and resume directly to each of the members of the Board? ...[snip]...
    What's the question? Of course, send it to them if you're truely interested in the position.

Registered
    Dec 2004
    Quote Originally posted by RichmondJake
    What's the question? Of course, send it to them if you're truely interested in the position.

I guess I should have been more clear - should I email my cover letter and resume to each indv. member??

And - YES - I am interested in the position....
    NATURE WASTES SPACE
    PAVEMENT IS OUR SALVATION

Zeroxed signs found along Pacific Coast Highway in 1990. Proudly hanging in my office ever since... ;)

NIMBY asshatterer Plus Richmond Jake's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2001
    Quote Originally posted by Off Width
    I guess I should have been more clear - should I email my cover letter and resume to each indv. member??...[snip].......
    I would since they seemed to invite applicants to do that.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    i will be the dissenting voice here. NO! Follow the chain of command. This is one instance where I would not be ballsy.

Registered
    Sep 2001
    I would confirm with teh administrator that the copy (s)he will be submited as requested. If (s)he says no, then submit a single copy by mail addressed to the Chair of the Board, there is no need to send it to each member.
    Too lazy to beat myself up for being to lazy to beat myself up for being too lazy to... well you get the point....

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Employment application question
    Career Development and Advice
    Replies: 2
    Last post: 29 Mar 2010, 10:50 PM
  2. Application resume question
    Student Commons
    Replies: 7
    Last post: 16 Nov 2009, 7:15 PM
  3. Replies: 8
    Last post: 19 Feb 2007, 1:49 PM