Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Do You Have Any Heroes?

Cyburbian Emeritus Bear Up North's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003

Do You Have Any Heroes?

As we approach President's Day, I got to thinking about heroes. Many folks have grabbed onto a President and proclaimed that prez "my hero". Many others looked at some great and/or historic figures as heroes. Lottsa people claim sports figures or entertainment people are heroes.

What makes a hero? Perhaps exceptional courage and/or strength. Willingness to risk life and limb for a cause. (Does it have to be a "just" cause?)

Only two presidents would even come close to filling the hero bill for this Bear.....Thomas Jefferson and Teddy Roosevelt. (Betcha lots of people would list Ronald Reagan.)

Martin Luther King, Jr. also fits into my hero basket. In fact, in the civil rights arena, there are so many unsung heroes.....the people who stood up against the wrongs of our society, risking their own lives in the process.

I cannot think of a single sports or entertainment figure I would consider a hero.

Do you have any heroes?

Bear
    Occupy Cyburbia!

Registered
    Feb 1998
    I have asked this as an interview question. "My Lord and savior" came up too often as a response.

     
    Registered
    Jun 2004
    Monica Lewinski

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    Quote Originally posted by Bear Up North
    What makes a hero? Perhaps exceptional courage and/or strength. Willingness to risk life and limb for a cause. (Does it have to be a "just" cause?)
    Do you have any heroes?
    Bear
    CMOH recipients
    Firefighters
    Oddball
    Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves?
    Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
    Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
    From Kelly's Heroes (1970)

Are you sure you're not hurt ?
    No. Just some parts wake up faster than others.
    Broke parts take a little longer, though.
    From Electric Horseman (1979)

Registered
    Jul 2002
    I hesitate to use the word "hero", because to me it implies that some person is revered because they are perfect and infallible; if you are human, you are neither of those things.

However, I'd have to agree with BUN that "heroes" are people who display exceptional courage in the face of incredible odds. In my mind, ordinary people who rise to the challenge are "heroes": American servicemen and women who serve around the world; emergency personnel who rush in to help people when others flee; ordinary people who sat at "white-only" lunch counters, or at the front of the bus, knowing that they would inspire retribution.

In general, any people who stand up for their principles and defend them with their lives.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jan 2003
    Heroes? Nah... that'd be just idealizing people.... you know, everybody has some good things and some bad things. Heroes are nothing but idealized people that become idols for doing some good things, and forgetting the bad things they've done.
    So for me, a hero is a de-humanized person... like Jesus.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Aug 2001
    My presidential hero is TR, but the person I try to be like is my aunt. She finds good and beauty in everything.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Well Bear, you and I are together on this one. Jefferson and Teddy are at the top of my list.
    Anyone want to adopt a dog?

In fact, in the civil rights arena, there are so many unsung heroes.....the people who stood up against the wrongs of our society, risking their own lives in the process.
    Yup! Community, strength, these people are/were ordinary with iron constitutions.

Service members, be it the Military, Police, Firemen or others not mentioned.

Presidents, Teddy is the man, when I read about him, I want to get up and work harder, study harder, just take in life as much as possible and never stop doing the best I can. That's what a hero is, someone that provides that "ordinary" example of working harder in difficult and peaceful times. Lincoln is also in their.

OFF TOPPIC -on cspan they are showing "Licoln: Seen and Heard" "A White House performance in honor of Lincoln's 196th birthday. Lincoln scholar Harold
    Holzer and Actor Sam Waterston discuss and read from Abraham Lincoln's speeches & writings." Its very nice.

Registered
    Feb 2005
    Can I assume that Batman wouldn't count?

Registered
    Apr 2002
    Atticus Finch. That movie still gives me goosebumps.

Registered
    Sep 1999
    Helen Hayes. Famous short person.
    (NOTE: I do not consider Gary Coleman or anyone who played a munchkin to be in this league...)

Registered
    Oct 2004
    I'd say a hero is a great man whom one would never actually like. Think Le Corbusier, Robert Moses, Napoleon III...

Registered
    Jan 2005
    An American Scholar once wrote that Canadians didn't have a hero - that Canada didn't have a single person who encapsulated the meaning of hero. I disagree as there are lots of Canadians who I consider a hero...

Pierre Trudeau - Canadian Charter of Rights and Freedoms

General Romeo Dallaire (ret) - for continuing to ensure that people are aware of what happened in Rwanda

Michael J. Fox - for his perseverence and push for research despite having Parkinson's

Rick Hansen - for wheeling himself around the world to raise money for Spinal Cord Research and continuing to be a role-model for the physically disabled

Terry Fox - for trying to run across Canada to raise money for Cancer - a run that is now international in scope - I participate every year without fail.

A hero to me is someone who exemplifies the values and ideals of Canada in alot of cases, but often it becomes so much more than that - its not hero worship - they don't do it for the fame, they do it because its the right thing to do...
    Mitchbaby: Proud to be a :canada: planner and a :canada: surfer

     
    Registered
    Feb 2005
    To me, it's the average guys and gals that work hard, put up with all of the and raise a family....

Graham.

Registered
    Dec 2003
    Quote Originally posted by martyR
    Can I assume that Batman wouldn't count?
    It counts. I was going to mention Pee Wee Herman as a hero (seing how I've put a dent on the kitten population)

I just hope nobody list MJ..........
    A guy once told me, "Do not have any attachments, do not have anything in your life you are not willing to walk out on in 30 seconds flat if you spot the heat around the corner."

Neil McCauley (Robert DeNiro): Heat 1995

Registered
    Feb 2005
    Does Bill Brasky count?

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Michael Jackson.

Just kidding. Rumpy. get up off the floor now.

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Helen Keller. Only, I wouldn't say she is a "hero". More like a "roll model". I made a file with a bunch of quotes from her some time back, while going through drug withdrawal, having people tell me that "a sick person like you can't afford to leave your husband" (au contraire -- I MUST leave my husband BECAUSE I am a sick person, dummies), wondering if I would ever again be free of pain, blah blah blah. I agree with...someone..earlier in this thread, who talked about "hero" being kind of a silly idea, an idea of something you, yourself, cannot attain. Even Jesus said something like "what I have done, others can do -- in fact, it is just the tip of the iceberg". Or, to (mis)quote another great prophet: Even the smallest person can change the world. (Galadriel?)

Registered
    Jul 2002

heros

I shy away from naming heros or following leaders for that matter. But here are some nominees:
    Alberet Schweitzer
    Lenny Bruce
    Those people on Flight 93
    MLK
    WALSTIB

Registered
    Jul 2004

Aqua Man

I can't even get a sea lion to acknowledge me at the New England Aquarium. While this dude has a seahorse collaborate a squid to prevent an explosion on the Mid-Atlantic Ridge. Sweet.

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Blog entries
    Quote Originally posted by psylo
    Does Bill Brasky count?
    Hell of a great guy. I once saw him eat a side of beef in one sitting and wash it down with a quart of Scotch!
    "I am very good at reading women, but I get into trouble for using the Braille method."

~ Otterpop ~

Registered
    Oct 2001
    Well, it was Hunter "Dr. Gonzo" Thompson... before his latest stunt.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------
    C'mon and get me you twist of fate
    I'm standing right here Mr. Destiny
    If you want to talk well then I'll relate
    If you don't so what cause you don't scare me

Registered
    Oct 2001
    Thomas Jefferson
    Martin Luther King
    Pat Tilman
    George S. Patton
    Todd Beamer