Urban planning community

Poll results: Who is the prankster in your office?

Voters
22. You may not vote on this poll
  • I'm the regular prankster -- and nobody is immune!

3 13.64%
  • I pick on some favorites, but it's okay... they know I'm just kidding.

6 27.27%
  • Everyone gets messed with in our office -- including me!

10 45.45%
  • The people here are stuffed shirts -- nobody would dare play tricks..

2 9.09%
  • I seem to be the butt of all jokes. Is there something I should know???

0 0%
  • I get picked on sometimes, but there are a few others that get it worse than I do.

1 4.55%
  • Other

0 0%
+ Reply to thread

Thread: Picker or pickee?

Registered
    Aug 2001

Picker or pickee?

Okay... as I sit here and look around my office, I have noticed that many of my prized possessions have been tinkered with, by co-workers that like to pick on me. The poor zamboni on my desk (which has a Leafs logo on it) has been defaced beyond recognition... other team's logos pasted on, etc. Winter is the worst, as my California girl background doesn't mix well with the local weather so I end up looking like Nanook. The jokes start to fly as soon as the temperature starts to take a dive...

This got me thinking... I used to be the one that poked fun at others, but now I'm the pickee. How do you all rate? Are you the troublemakers at work? What are some of the things you have done to others, or had done to you by your co-workers?

I have sabotaged a lot of people's computers with alternate wav files for common errors, photoshopped and hid pics of the hearings examiner in people's zoning ordinance and other fairly innocuous things... I'm interested to see if other offices have a fairly friendly camaraderie or if other places are too stuffy to have a little fun.

Registered
    Dec 1998
    There's this one person whose personality just forces you to hate her. She's extremely insecure and always overcompensating for it by kissing ass to anyone would let her. What's worse than that is that she dresses horribly. She has this pair of white pants that are literally skin tight......they conjure up images of cottage cheese. These pants show off EVERY single physical flaw right down to the very visible panty line. I'm offended every time she wears them and one of these days she's going to force me to tell her about them. :eek :blah

I suppose this makes me a pickee???
    "A witty woman is a treasure, a witty beauty is a power!"

Registered
    Jul 1998
    There was this time.......

When we got our new carpet installed, my assistant was newly single and openly shopping for a new man. One of the carpet layers left his knee pads while working late. I happened to have a night meeting and found the pads. The next morning they were on her desk with a sticky note that read: "wear these to the bar and I know you will score"

pickee for sure

Registered
    Aug 2001
    since i got to the firm...people know to come back and check thier space for a little prank...photo sims are in now...our office manager had her husband's head replaced by John Goodman's (she loves him)...another had her hubby's head replaced by Peter Jennings (again...some wierd infatuation)...and another was out for her birthday so using the huge plotter we have we made a huge banner for her with pictures over the years and hung it at the entrance to the office. innocent buy funny...
    Information necessitating a change of design will be conveyed to the designer after and only after the design is complete. (Often called the 'Now They Tell Us' Law) - Fyfe's First Law of Revision

We don't believe in planners and deciders making the decisions on behalf of Americans. -- George W. Bush , Scranton, PA -- 09/06/2000

Registered
    Mar 2002
    For me Dave and I pick back and forth but its all in good fun. If we did not pick on each other we'd be in cube hell.

D
    "They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Ben Franklin

Remember this motto to live by: "Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, martini in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming 'WOO- HOO what a ride!'"

Registered
    Oct 2000
    I'd say I'm the picker. Difficult to pass a vacant cube without altering their screen saver to the lyrics of the big butt song. Or fun tacking mcd's happy meal toys on top of someone's monitor. just fun stuff.

maudit anglais
    Registered
    May 1997
    Where I work now isn't nearly as entertaining as previous offices - everyone's a little too PC around here.

Used to have loads of fun where I used to work - putting clear tape over telephone receivers, taking out mouse tracker balls, changing screen-savers, etc. I gave as good as I got.

The one prank that backfired - replacing a co-workers troll doll (yes, she even looked like Mimi, and that was her nickname) with one in a grim reaper outfit. How were we to know she would freak out and start screaming hysterically that someone was trying to kill her...

Registered
    Oct 2000
    The pranking at my last office got a little out of control - we were all pretty young. One afternoon, my boss was watching the store for the lady that worked in one of the retail shops below our office. So we called and phone pranked him, pretending to be extremely difficult customers. Unfortunately, he didn't have his usual sense of humor, flipped out and threatened to fire us! but the rest of the office thought it was pretty funny, and he eventually recovered.

Registered
    Oct 2001
    At one office I worked in we would have theme days. One was screw-off day. This was the remains of the day after the morning board meeting. We would forward the phones to the cellular and go road tripping. Another theme day was "cuss like a sailor day." I just loved cuss like a sailor day. We would be a foul mouthed as possible when no customers were around.

Then when a customer arrived the others in the office would watch the one waiting on the customer to see if any words slipped. We would bust up watching the other person try to remain professional. It is darn hard to stop cussing once you have it going strong.

Cuss like a sailor day is no longer possible due to the PC nature of these modern times. Gosh, I miss the early 90's.

This place is one of the most boring places I have ever worked. People here are nice, but no pranks, no drinks after work, nothing outside the office. I don't even know the names of my boss' kids. Very dull. Even the Employee Appreciation dinner is stuffy!
    "I'm a white male, age 18 to 49. Everyone listens to me, no matter how dumb my suggestions are."

- Homer Simpson

Registered
    Aug 2001
    It's open season around here, but we have one guy that will sometimes be too sensitive. Usually the youngest department head gets the grilling at staff meetings (I passed that buck 2 years ago).

Personal property rarely gets mistreated. (except I'm working on something for Prudence's new motorcycle jacket, which looks like something the Borg Queen would wear).

Registered
    Jul 1998
    Originally posted by El Guapo
    It is darn hard to stop cussing once you have it going strong.

Cuss like a sailor day is no longer possible due to the PC nature of these modern times. Gosh, I miss the early 90's.
    I can turn on and off the cussing at will. That drives others nuts. Every day is Cuss like a sailor day around here. The City Administrator gave me one instruction on my first day. "Don't f*** the help", then he walked out of my office and I was on my own. Seems there was a problem with a previous planner.

Registered
    Oct 2000
    At one of my previous jobs, the head of building liked to say:

You shouldn't ever get p**** and your paycheck in the same place.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Originally posted by KMateja

Slow today. That took me a minute. Need more coffee.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Or fun tacking mcd's happy meal toys on top of someone's monitor. just fun stuff.
    oh...maybe i should take my toys off my monitor...somwone prob thinks that there is a big prank going on i am oblivious to...nothing like having buddy christ holding the irish flag and capt. ben sisko on your monitor to start conversation
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails img_0385.jpg  
    Information necessitating a change of design will be conveyed to the designer after and only after the design is complete. (Often called the 'Now They Tell Us' Law) - Fyfe's First Law of Revision

We don't believe in planners and deciders making the decisions on behalf of Americans. -- George W. Bush , Scranton, PA -- 09/06/2000

Registered
    Oct 2000
    Where did you get a Buddy Christ????? love that movie. am a big kevin smith fan. i had fish name jay and silent bob way back in 1994.

Registered
    Aug 2001

Registered
    Oct 2001

My boss said, "Never put your p*ck*r in the payroll..."
    -----------------------------------------------------------------
    C'mon and get me you twist of fate
    I'm standing right here Mr. Destiny
    If you want to talk well then I'll relate
    If you don't so what cause you don't scare me

Registered
    Oct 2001
    Dogma is an all-time favorite. I need to get the special DVD so I can watch the out takes...
    -----------------------------------------------------------------
    C'mon and get me you twist of fate
    I'm standing right here Mr. Destiny
    If you want to talk well then I'll relate
    If you don't so what cause you don't scare me

Registered
    Nov 2001

Pranks

B]For me Dave and I pick back and forth but its all in good fun. If we did not pick on each other we'd be in cube hell.

D.[/B]

Yeah, but when other people catch snippets of it out-of-context, they are briefly freaked out!! I'm sure they wonder what just happened.

As far as actual pranks, nobody would dare do that because this is strictly a stuffed shirt environment (ex: no casual Fridays). Heck, our PC members all wear suits and ties to work sessions!![
    Last edited by Dave F; 08 Aug 2002 at 10:58 PM.

Registered
    Mar 2002

Keeping awake

Lol Dave and I are already at it this am
    the boss is out AGAIN

Im sitting here trying to figure just how much pressure to put on a rubber band to make it bounce of the ceiling over the space between and zap Dave in the head.

*giggles and plots the days excitement*

D
    "They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Ben Franklin

Remember this motto to live by: "Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, martini in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming 'WOO- HOO what a ride!'"

+ Reply to thread