Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Fire Fox?

Registered
    Apr 2003
    Someplace between yesterday and tomorrow.

Fire Fox?

I noticed the firefox link that Dan posted, and I was wondering about how many people use this, and what were their thoughts on it? I looked at it, and it seems like a regural broswer. It is any better or different than IE? I am thinking of changing over, but not sure yet.

*this may be in the wrong forum, so move at will
    Not my monkey, not my circus. - Old Polish Proverb

Cyburbian Emeritus Bear Up North's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003
    Quote Originally posted by michaelskis
    I noticed the firefox link that Dan posted, and I was wondering about how many people use this, and what were their thoughts on it? I looked at it, and it seems like a regural broswer. It is any better or different than IE? I am thinking of changing over, but not sure yet.

Totally off-topic......wasn't "Fire Fox" also the name of a movie that had Angelina Jolie in a supporting role? Looking very hot on a motorcycle?

Bear
    Occupy Cyburbia!

maudit anglais
    Registered
    May 1997
    I remember Fire Fox being a early/mid-80s Clint Eastwood (?) movie about stealing this ultra advanced Soviet fighter plane.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0083943/

Registered
    Oct 2003
    Bear perhaps you mean Foxfire

I use Firefox at home. My favorite features are tabbed browsing and it seems faster too. Pop up blocker works better too. At work I am relegated to IE. Can't use Trillian here either.

Registered
    Dec 2001

get firefox

get it.

The big difference between firefox and IE is that so far, it's relativley immune to spam, spyware, adware, and other ActiveX viruses that can load without your approval. For the sake of your computers health, take advantage of it now and get it now!

The cool featuers that it offers over IE are: themes, plug-ins, tabbed browsing (multiple webpages in one window- BIG memory saver)
    Dude, I'm cheesing so hard right now.

Registered
    Apr 2002
    Firefox is awesome. It's so much faster than Explorer and has better pop-up blocking softare. Plus, it blocks spyware. Everyone should use it. Occassionally a webpage feature will not work correctly, but I just switch to Explorer then.

Registered
    Feb 2005
    I've been using it for about a week, and its night and day. It has a much improved pop-up blocker and on my slow connection, it seems to be loading pages quicker without the insistent crashing that always seemed to happen.

Cyburbian Emeritus Bear Up North's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003
    Quote Originally posted by ludes98
    Bear perhaps you mean Foxfire

I stand corrected. "Foxfire", 1996 movie, according to IMDB.

Bear
    Occupy Cyburbia!

Registered
    Sep 2001
    Just clicked on teh link and got nothing, just a blank browser.

I have used it on a friend's Apple.
    Too lazy to beat myself up for being to lazy to beat myself up for being too lazy to... well you get the point....

Registered
    May 2004
    Been using it for over a year and I enjoy its functionality much more so than IE's. The search function is way - way better, the tabbed browsing is very useful, and I don't have to download security patches every other week like it seemed I was doing with IE. I've also been using the mail client called Thunderbird and am happy with that as well. Except for Excel, Visio and Access, I don't find the MS apps are as robust as I'd like.

GET IT!!!

Registered
    Mar 2004
    In my opinion, the huge plus of Firefox is that if you're willing to spend a couple of hours looking around, there are an enormous number of things you can configure, really allowing you to make your browsing experience your own. To set them, you type "about:config" in the browser bar, and just start experimenting. One of my favorites that I just discovered is called accessibility.typeaheadfind. I set this to true, and now as soon as I type anything on a page, it starts searching for it. For instance, to find the first post by michaelskis on a page, I used to type Ctrl-F, then the word "michaelskis", then Enter. Now I just start typing "michaelskis", and by the time I get to the C or the H, it's already found it.

And if the built-in options aren't enough, there are also scores of "extensions" you can download. These are things people have written that get tacked onto the funcionality of Firefox. Some of my favorites include: Linkification - this Extension will turn plain-text URLs into clickable links, so I never have to copy and paste to the address bar; Image Zoom - adds a lot of useful image-zooming ability, like when an image makes a Cyburbia thread too wide for the screen, I right-click on it and say "Zoom to 75%", and I never have to scroll horizontally to read text; Target Alert - puts a little icon after links to PDF files, or ZIP files, or links that open in a new window, or links to email addresses, so I know what I'm clicking beforehand.

What's great about the way it's set up is you can totally ignore all these things if you want. If you don't want to bother with it, Firefox is a good browser, but if you do, you can make it the perfect browser for you.

Registered
    Aug 2004

Firefox is a whole lot better than exploror, its more secure than the other one. But you cant download the windows updates...

Registered
    Feb 2005
    But you cant download the windows updates...
    I don't know about your computer, but mine does that on its own without internet explorer, but maybe mine is messed up as usual.

Firefox is a significant improvement over IE

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jan 2003
    Firefox works fine with me... and one of the features I like the most is that whenever a page I'm looking for times out it doesn't send you to an error page like IE but promts a small window telling you that it timed out and you just click ok and it doesn't screw up the page you were in before. I must also say that time outs are less frequent now in firefox than when I used IE, and the only thing that has changed is the browser.

The popup blocker and improved security are also major pluses.

Also if you want a secure mail program, use Thunderbird; instead of the incredibly insecure Outlook. Thunderbird also has a great spam filter, that learns what mails are spam and what are not, and those that are, end up in the trash can inmediately.

Registered
    Feb 2003

get Firefox

The extensions and tabbed browsing are HUGE improvements over IE. My favorite extension is the one that allows me to control my music player from the browser - I don't have to switch from what I am browsing to change songs, mute, etc. I

I've been using it for a while now. I love it. I like the tab things and the bookmark management stuff. It's much better at pop-up blocking than stuff I tried with IE and firefox comes setup to block pop-ups by default.

Interestingly, APA refuses to let you log in to member stuff if you use firefox, which really sucks.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    I feel so out of the loop.

I guess I'll do it.

Tomorrow....

*sigh*

Registered
    Jul 2002

fire fox fire

Quote Originally posted by Bear Up North
    I stand corrected. "Foxfire", 1996 movie, according to IMDB.

Bear
    I use Firefox at home and its email counterpart. No problems and it seems quicker. Anything to get away from Bill Gates & Co.
    Has anyone seen the REAL foxfire, I mean the fungus that glows in the dark. Real cool and spookey.
    WALSTIB

Registered
    Jan 2005

I've used it exclusively now for well over a year. It far exceeds IE in both security and functionality, as well as speed and ease-of-use. It is damn near perfect. I have also converted my family over to using it and they love it, would never even dream of returning to IE.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Fire
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 12
    Last post: 20 Sep 2013, 3:09 PM
  2. Fire!
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 18
    Last post: 17 Nov 2012, 2:26 AM
  3. Fire Lake
    Friday Afternoon Club