Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Job concerns

Registered
    Feb 2005

Job concerns

I'm somewhere in a middle ground when it comes to looking for employment. I have a Masters degree, but my internship experience hasn't allowed me to get an assistant position. It feels like I need another intern position before I can move up. What I'm trying to say in short is, where can I find planning intern positions (preferably paid) if they are not advertised outside of calling every city out there?

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Tough question. During my last search I bookmarked the web sites of about three dozen city or regional agencies I might consider, and just kept checking regularly. There are a few broader sites, which I think are still in the resource directory here at Cyburbia. The other thing you might do is look at the employment web sites of universities in places you like. Lastly, don't be too sure you need another internship. With your degree and one internship, you should be able to find a position somewhere. The key is to not limit yourself geographically.
    Anyone want to adopt a dog?

Registered
    Nov 2002
    Paid internships are advertised. Most unpaid internships are aren't advertised.

Be prepared to become free labor in order to gain the experience you want.

Two words: information interviews.

Yes, this means sending out letters with follow-up phone calls. And yes, this means that if they agree to meet with you, you will have to put on your most effective and sincere sales pitch if it's a place you'd like to intern.
    All these years the people said he’s actin’ like a kid.
    He did not know he could not fly, so he did.
    - - Guy Clark, "The Cape"

Registered
    Sep 2001
    I don't really understand the whole intern after university thing. Once you graduate the goal should be to find a full time permanent job. Someone please explain the difference between being a paid inern after graduating vs being an employee.
    Too lazy to beat myself up for being to lazy to beat myself up for being too lazy to... well you get the point....

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Feb 2005
    Quote Originally posted by donk
    I don't really understand the whole intern after university thing. Once you graduate the goal should be to find a full time permanent job. Someone please explain the difference between being a paid inern after graduating vs being an employee.

I think the benefits of being an intern after graduation stem from an ability to parlay an internship into a job after a certain amount of time. Most of the organizations that I have worked/interned for have internal announcements of positions prior to the external announcements. I guess if you're willing to work for free for a bit it may pay off in the long run.

Registered
    Oct 2003
    With an internship and masters in hand, I would apply for jobs unless you are trying to change direction this late in the game. There are a lot of positions available to someone with your credentials.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Quote Originally posted by donk
    I did an internship after my BS degree, while I was waiting for a six-month Army school. I didn't figure many places would hire me knowing I would be gone for half a year.
    Anyone want to adopt a dog?

Registered
    Mar 2005
    Quote Originally posted by Cardinal
    I did an internship after my BS degree, while I was waiting for a six-month Army school. I didn't figure many places would hire me knowing I would be gone for half a year.
    Never sell yourself short

/as if I'm one to talk

Registered
    Jan 2005
    I graduated during a time when there was a planning job drought... I did two internships and then worked as a planning secretary (geeezz) for a few months... all really because I was determined to stay in the same County- come-hell-or-high-water... anyway, it took me a year after I graduated- but, I finally got a 'real' job as a planner... And, the reason I got the job was because on a whim- prior to graduating- I sent a letter to the place I wanted to work (county planning) telling them when I was going to graduate, etc. Then, a year later- they came looking for me... so, hang in there- keep plugging away at the letters and other correspondances.

     
    Registered
    Mar 2005
    [QUOTE=SGB]Paid internships are advertised. Most unpaid internships are aren't advertised.

Be prepared to become free labor in order to gain the experience you want.

I have heard that idea mentioned a number of times. I find myself asking the same question every time that suggestion is given: "How do I eat?". I have never tried that approach specifically because I had not found a good answer to that problem becides taking on another full time job and then that leaves doing an internship a difficult task to perform.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Bird concerns
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 29
    Last post: 13 Dec 2012, 8:10 PM
  2. Childhood aeronautic concerns
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 4
    Last post: 29 Aug 2012, 8:16 PM
  3. Currency concerns
    Friday Afternoon Club