Urban planning community

Poll results: How long will you wait?

Voters
46. You may not vote on this poll
  • Dude, I'm always the late one.

3 6.52%
  • I don't wait. Screw 'em if they can't show up on time.

4 8.70%
  • 0-15 Minutes. I'll cut them some slack.

24 52.17%
  • 15-30 Minutes. Hey man, don't rush through life.

10 21.74%
  • 30-60 Minutes. It's cool Dawg.

1 2.17%
  • All freaking day.

0 0%
  • The Oxen is slow, but the earth is patient.

0 0%
  • I have a different answer

4 8.70%
+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: How Long Will You Wait for a Tardy Person?

Registered
    Oct 2001

How Long Will You Wait for a Tardy Person?

[Type A Question] You know them. They are always late. Heck, you may even be one of them. So, how long will you wait for someone before going on with your life? I know that our tollerance is shorter on some days and longer on others, but on average how long will you wait?

For example: You are going on a trip out of town and everyone in your group was told the wagon train would leave at 8:00. When do you go? No, you can't call them on their cell phone.[/Type A Question]

PS - In my theology the habitually late are all doomed to a very special level of hell!

Registered
    Jul 2002
    Hmmm someone bugging you, el Guapo?

My friends and I joke about "the 15 minute rule" where if you are going to be any later than 15 minutes after the agreed time, you should call to let them know. We joke but we kind of stick to it too.

Lateness with no good explanation is rude.

maudit anglais
    Registered
    May 1997
    It largely depends on who I'm waiting for and why. If it's work-related, I tend to wait longer (I get paid by the hour, eh?). If I'm meeting up with a friend for dinner or whatever - 30 minutes would be the maximum I'd wait. If waiting meant that I would miss the boat/plane/train/event then screw'em.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Aug 2001
    I don't find myself waiting for people to show up, but have learned to give my sister adjusted times to account for her chronic lateness. She is told that things begin 45 minutes before the actual time.

If I am holding a meeting, it will begin no later than 5 minutes late. If someone is late, they are responsible to find out what they miss.

My big complaint with waiting happens when I ask someone if they are available for something (leisure, business, dinner...) and they tell me that they will get back to me. I have been strung along too many times, so now I ask once, and any answer other than yes is considered a "no". Too many folks use this technique as a way to be controlling. I do give consideration to someone needing to check their schedule, or to find a sitter, reasonable things, but I am pretty hard-nosed about it to some people.

     
    Registered
    Jun 2004
    I am ALWAYS the late one...dont know how long I would wait, they are always waiting on me.

Unfrozen Caveman Planner mendelman's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003
    If it is an appointment for a meeting then not long, but if it is for a road trip or such then 15-30 mins...because....you know...they ran out of gas, had a flat tire, didn't have enough money for cab fare, tux didn't come back from the cleaners, an old friend came in from out of town, someone stole their car, there was an earthquake, a terrible flood, locusts...........
    I'm sorry. Is my bias showing?

The ends can justify the means.

Registered
    Apr 2004
    Blog entries
    I don;t like to give too much time, I feel when someone is late then they miss out.
    I tend to be early, and I have had friends that are late all the time for no good reason. The only reason i hang out with them still is b/c their folks pay me good money to associate with their kids...
    You get all squeezed up inside/Like the days were carved in stone/You get all wired up inside/And it's bad to be alone

You can go out, you can take a ride/And when you get out on your own/You get all smoothed out inside/And it's good to be alone
    -Peart

Registered
    Oct 2000
    Quote Originally posted by Tranplanner
    It largely depends on who I'm waiting for and why. If it's work-related, I tend to wait longer (I get paid by the hour, eh?). If I'm meeting up with a friend for dinner or whatever - 30 minutes would be the maximum I'd wait. If waiting meant that I would miss the boat/plane/train/event then screw'em.
    exactly my response.

I absolutely despise chronic tardiness, my personal rule is 10 minutes early is on time and on time is late.

Registered
    Nov 2002
    For scenarios such as what eG describes, I usually budget in an extra 15 minutes or so into the departure time.
    All these years the people said he’s actin’ like a kid.
    He did not know he could not fly, so he did.
    - - Guy Clark, "The Cape"

Forums Administrator & Gallery Moderator NHPlanner's avatar
    Registered
    Apr 1996
    Ditto Tranplanner and Downtown.
    "Growth is inevitable and desirable, but destruction of community character is not. The question is not whether your part of the world is going to change. The question is how." -- Edward T. McMahon, The Conservation Fund

Registered
    Oct 2001
    Is the group waiting on a hot babe? If not, we're on down the road....

The level of hotness is directly proportional to the length of wait time.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------
    C'mon and get me you twist of fate
    I'm standing right here Mr. Destiny
    If you want to talk well then I'll relate
    If you don't so what cause you don't scare me

Registered
    Feb 2002
    I picked 15 minutes.

Get this. A friend of mine that I have known for ten years was riding up to our hometown with me for my baby shower. I talked to her the night before and we agreed that we would leave right after work (5:15 pm). I was feeling physically uncomfortable, and I hate driving at night, and it's a 2.5 hour trip. I told her all of this stuff.

So, the next day 5:15 comes and goes, as does 5:30, 5:45, 6:00. I was HOT! My DH calls and says that apparently her and her boyfriend went out to supper and thats why she isn't there (he works with her boyfriend). I gave her until 6:15 (ONE HOUR LATE, I figure she is coming home for my shower so whatever). So she finally gets there. I played it cool, she didn't even apologize, so I asked why she was so late. She said 'oh, I had to work late'. Total lie, and I knew it. So I kind of came unglued. Asked her if she worked late, how could she had time for dinner, and she was so disrespectful. I wasn't being too nice, and I did later apologize for being so rude, but that I wasn't sorry for being angry.

So anyway, I haven't really talked to her much since. It kind of sucks, but I still think she was out of line.

Quote Originally posted by Mastiff
    Is the group waiting on a hot babe? If not, we're on down the road....

The level of hotness is directly proportional to the length of wait time.
    What Mastiff said.
    Je suis Charlie

     
    Registered
    Feb 2005
    In my opinion, it depends on the circumstance.

I have waited for my wife for up to 1 1/2 hrs. while she talks to her friends..

Get mad maybe, but think of the consequences....

BB King once had a tune.. " Never make your move too soon "

Graham.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Five minutes, unless it's my mom or da boss.
    Annoyingly insensitive

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jan 2003
    15 to 30 mins tops. I usually call up the person I'm waiting when they're 15 mintues late, if they don't answer me, I call back 5 mins later, until the 30 minutes or they come up with a good excuse.
    I'm usually 10 to 5 minutes early to classes and other stuff. For important things I try to be 15 minutes early or so.
    Must be the German genes... too bad, in general, people here in Chile are always late.

Registered
    Jul 2002
    I said 15-30 minutes. It all depends on the situation. I have a friend who is always late when it comes to going out for beer, that ain't no big thang, there will still be beer there when I get there.

Another situation is I have a co-worker who is always late. He ALWAYS waits till the last minute to ask for something. He even has the Ba!!s to set up meetings with me and other on an issues the is "REALLY IMPORTANT" then is late to meet and talk about it.

Lately, when he shows up to my desk 45 min- 1 houre late I tell him I am to busy to meet with him and he missed his meeting time with me. If his issues is that imporant then he would not have missed his chance to talk about it.

Ever notice that the people who are late
    are often much jollier
    than the people who have to wait for them?

Registered
    Aug 2004
    If you're not on time, you're late. If we scheduled a meeting, I'll wait up to 15 minutes, then I move on to other items. Pesonally, I'll wait a little longer for family, but in general, I'm going to let you know that I don't like waiting.

I had someone show up over an hour late. Then they were upset that I wouldn't drop everything to meet with them, since they were ready. Once I finally met with them (I think they waited about 30 minutes) I told them that I have a schedule, and their tardiness meant I had gone to another meeting. They were waiting in the lobby while I had a meeting with clients who came in on time. They were quiet after that.
    "We do not need any other Tutankhamun's tomb with all its treasures. We need context. We need understanding. We need knowledge of historical events to tie them together. We don't know much. Of course we know a lot, but it is context that's missing, not treasures." - Werner Herzog, in Archaeology, March/April 2011

Screw em is my gut reaction and thats what I voted. I'm habitually early for everything, What is this fashionably late people speak of? Depending on the person I'll wait fifteen minutes and be thoroughly annoyed. It's kind off like driving somewhere new that you don't have directions to.

Registered
    Dec 2001
    Quote Originally posted by mendelman
    If it is an appointment for a meeting then not long, but if it is for a road trip or such then 15-30 mins...because....you know...they ran out of gas, had a flat tire, didn't have enough money for cab fare, tux didn't come back from the cleaners, an old friend came in from out of town, someone stole their car, there was an earthquake, a terrible flood, locusts...........
    IT WASN'T MY FAULT!!!!!!!!!!!

anyway, now that I have multiple kids, I expect to be late and never on time. If we need to leave at 12:00, we're getting ready at 10:00 and not leaving till 12:30.

as for work meetings.. 5-10 minutes... 15 at the very most.
    Dude, I'm cheesing so hard right now.

Registered
    Sep 2001
    For personal appointments I am almost always early, except recently as I have been learning the scheduling of teh streetcar and subway. Sorry TP

For work related items / job interviews, always arrive at least 5 minutes before teh specified start time and try to be 10 minutes early.

I'll wait 15 minutes for appointments related to work before I start getting annoyed, for personal things depends on who theperson is and how expected the lateness is.
    Too lazy to beat myself up for being to lazy to beat myself up for being too lazy to... well you get the point....

Registered
    Sep 1999
    0-15 minutes. And maybe less. I am compulsive about being on time, and can't understand the habitually late. I have several friends (NOT Cyburbians, TN and SC, didn't mean you) who drive me nuts because they are never, ever on time. I find myself avoiding making plans with the perpetually-late.

Cyburbian Emeritus Bear Up North's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003
    This Bear is always on time....and usually way too early. Katie is not quite the same....so she goes nuts when I insist we "....get going...." so we won't be late. My son (Mathew) will be, as the saying goes, "Late for his own funeral."

When I hold meetings at work I expect the attendees to be on time. I will give them a little slack if they are generally on time, just late this time. I have included discussions about this topic in performance reviews with my employees.....especially supervisory people who should be setting a good example.

Years ago I was associated with a big company with headquarters in Orlando, FL. Their stance was, if the meeting time is 10:00 AM.....at 10:00 AM the doors are locked.

Bear Takes A Lickin' & Keeps On Tickin'
    Occupy Cyburbia!

I give people up to 30 minutes of waiting and that's mostly because the transportation situation here can be unpredictable.

Years ago I was associated with a big company with headquarters in Orlando, FL. Their stance was, if the meeting time is 10:00 AM.....at 10:00 AM the doors are locked.
    I've just got to much German blood or something because for years I've always made it a habit to be at work no less than ten minutes early. If I'm later than ten minutes before my shift, that's a tardy. I have prework stuff to take care of. As for people that are late for work, I can't tolerate it but, I do. The boss is an anything goes kind of boss, yuck!!!!!!!!!

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. Morning person or night person?
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 22
    Last post: 18 Jul 2012, 8:31 AM
  2. Replies: 4
    Last post: 21 Jan 2009, 11:42 AM
  3. Replies: 26
    Last post: 30 Mar 2008, 12:34 AM
  4. Replies: 33