Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Research or production?

Registered
    Dec 2001

Research or production?

We have a start-up company that wishes to perform research to create a higher efficency battery. I imagine that with the research a certain amount of limited, research type production will occur. The question at hand is at what point does research become prodcution? We allow research to occur at a local college who is renting space to this start-up company. This college is located in a residential zoning district and is surrounded on all sides by residential. This is a typical suburban campus type college (very small too).

A quick phone call to the business verified that they are performing research only and are not manufacturing or producing. But, interested parties are persistant in that they want undeniable evidence that shows no elements of production at the facility and ONLY pure research.

How do other communities handle a topic like this? IS there a transition or breaking point when research becomes production?
    Dude, I'm cheesing so hard right now.

Registered
    Jul 2002
    How does the Ord. define "Research" "Production" or "Manufacturing"

Research is a service relating to the study of technology, elements, or combination of the two, research is generally provided as a service by a public agency or private firm..

Production is a process, of manufacturing, assembly or packaging of a product that results from the research. The product is typicall sold or distributed for a profit

I think the threashold between research and production occurs when the organization is no longer researching the item and refining it to make it perform better and begins the produce or reproduce the item for distribution and sale for profit.

Registered
    Dec 2001
    Quote Originally posted by PlannerByDay
    How does the Ord. define "Research" "Production" or "Manufacturing"
    We don't and we don't!!

Registered
    Oct 2001
    [sam's law] I guess when you can buy it at Wal Mart then it is production. [/sam's law]

Another way to judge if it is production is if they have a commercial barcode for the product or a shrink wrap machine or big trucks show up and devliver and haul things away.

Another way to look at it is "who the hell cares as long as the externalities of production don't show up in the neighborhood."

NIMBY asshatterer Plus Richmond Jake's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2001
    Quote Originally posted by el Guapo
    ...[snip].... "who the hell cares as long as the externalities of production don't show up in the neighborhood."
    The RJ test: OK, if I do this or I look the other way:
    1. Who's gonna find out?
    2. Who's gonna care?

Cyburbian Emeritus Bear Up North's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003
    Quote Originally posted by el Guapo

Another way to look at it is "who the hell cares as long as the externalities of production don't show up in the neighborhood."
    This rule seems best.

Non-Planner Bear Who Produces
    Occupy Cyburbia!

Quote Originally posted by RichmondJake
    The RJ test: OK, if I do this or I look the other way:
    1. Who's gonna find out?
    2. Who's gonna care?
    Applauds

Registered
    May 1997
    There is no such thing as applied research without some of the elements of production present. This is what performance standards are for.

Registered
    Dec 2001
    Quote Originally posted by Lee Nellis
    There is no such thing as applied research without some of the elements of production present. This is what performance standards are for.
    I agree. The special use granted to the property essentially says: "SP for univeristy functions including, day care for the benefit of students, faculty, and staff of the univ, and office and research space for non-university entities.

Performance regulations are rarely implemented here.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Wine production: all the other guys
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 27
    Last post: 11 Oct 2013, 11:07 AM
  2. Replies: 9
    Last post: 22 Sep 2010, 8:17 PM
  3. Biofuel production and zoning
    Land Use and Zoning
    Replies: 14