Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Summer vacation 2005 - Your Plans?

Cyburbian Emeritus Bear Up North's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003

Summer vacation 2005 - Your Plans?

It's not too early to start surfing the net and making preliminary plans for any summer vacation (2005) plans that you may have. Do you have anything penciled-in, yet?

If all goes well on the health front, this Bear and wife Katie will be returning to the Upper Peninsula of Michigan. The fishing boat will be in tow, the bikes will be on the rack, the camping gear will be in the back of the pick-up, the Rolling Rock will be in the cooler.

Haven't decided on an exact place to slide the boat in. I would prefer to fish and camp in the Hiawatha National Forest area that is north and northwest of Manistique. Lots of good fishing lakes in that area. However, National Forest campgrounds have flush toilets but NO showers and Katie won't be in to that. (This Bear is just fine with jumping in the lake and bathing .)

I would also consider a favorite place, Van Riper State Park, located on Lake Michigamme, west of Marquette. It's also close to a good bar, Stumps. Big lake with lots of fish. Great beach for swimming.

My son keeps pushing me to try the Sylvania Wildnerness Area. I have been there, many years ago. Beautiful clean water, great fishing......but I'm what they call a "stink boat" person (powered boat) and this area does not allow stink boats. I gave my canoe to my son and if I chose Sylvania I would have to take the canoe with me.

We may also take a mini-vacation to Washington, DC.

Bear Making Plans
    Occupy Cyburbia!

Registered
    Mar 2002
    Lets see in April going down to Greensboro NC to see friends, June a weekend in Las Vagas, and then in Sept a week at Walt Disney World.

So yes all my summer plans are made.
    "They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Ben Franklin

Remember this motto to live by: "Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, martini in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming 'WOO- HOO what a ride!'"

maudit anglais
    Registered
    May 1997
    Other than a week up at the in-laws cottage, no plans. Probably use my vacation to continue renovations to Chateau Tranplanner. It's the basement this year...

Registered
    Apr 2003
    Going to spend a week at my parents house on the north shore of Lake Michigan. I plan to spend most of the week sitting on the beach in a lawn chair.
    "A long habit of not thinking a thing wrong, gives it a superficial appearance of being right, and raises at first a formidable outcry in defense of custom. Time makes more converts than reason." - Thomas Paine Common Sense.

Registered
    Sep 1999
    No real trip for me this year, maybe a long weekend in July. I'm trying to save up leave time/$$ to take a road trip with my son next summer and maybe meet up with some more Cyburbians along the way!

Road Trip!

The family Gedunker are planning to drive from L-ville to central New Hampshire with stops at Niagara Falls and Saratoga Springs on the way up. Coming back through NYC, the old Jersey homestead, and Philly. Looking at 9 days with an 8yo and 5yo. They're both pretty good roadies. Should be fun.
    Je suis Charlie

Unfrozen Caveman Planner mendelman's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003
    many weekend camping trips (vacation time is somewhat limited this summer)
    Last edited by mendelman; 24 Feb 2005 at 9:39 AM.
    I'm sorry. Is my bias showing?

The ends can justify the means.

Registered
    Nov 2003
    This summer will be my first anniversary. I wanted to plan a trip back to the Carribean. However, our house will be finished in late March. I need to see how the mortgage payments will be. I'll probably take the Mrs...Star to NYC to see the Lion King. We also have a family reunion to go to in Kentucky.
    I am recognizing that the voice inside my head
    is urging me to be myself but never follow someone else
    Because opinions are like voices we all have a different kind". --Q-Tip

Registered
    Jun 2003
    A week at the Jersey Shore when California family is visiting.
    Oddball
    Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves?
    Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
    Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
    From Kelly's Heroes (1970)

Are you sure you're not hurt ?
    No. Just some parts wake up faster than others.
    Broke parts take a little longer, though.
    From Electric Horseman (1979)

Registered
    Jul 2002
    Funny this thread should pop up today, just last night over dinner me and the Mrs. talked about our plans. Many of the things are still in the works but this trip, the Delmac a bike ride from Lansing to Mackinaw City

We have also penciled in
    April- 3day 2 night Backpacking trip up north somewhere
    May - 2 day 1 night kayaking trip on the Betsi, Platte, Manistee or Muskegon River

Aug./Sept - DelMac

Registered
    Mar 2003
    My father-in-law has offered us the time share at Osage Beach, MO. We got it last year too but couldn't take the kids with us. This year we are going to make that schedule happen. ALthough with this whole unemployment thing, a new job might nix me going but it would be great for dad and his girls to get away.
    Other than that we are planning to do yard work this year. We have done inside project the last two years and the King has spoken..
    It is all a matter of perspective!!!

Registered
    Dec 2001
    In May, I'm getting a break from everything and going fishing for 3 days in Southern Illinois, with my father-in-law and a bunch of his friends and brothers... no kids, no wives. Call it a budget vacation. I expect to pay no more than $130 for room, food, drinks, fishing license, travel, etc.

I'd like to take the family on a mini weekend trip, but I have no idea where to go. I'd like to keep it sub $400, 2-3 days, and within 300 miles of P-town.
    Dude, I'm cheesing so hard right now.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Feb 2002
    August, The Outer Banks, North Carolina, like every year.

Registered
    Dec 2003
    Probally do some fishing on the weekends.
    A guy once told me, "Do not have any attachments, do not have anything in your life you are not willing to walk out on in 30 seconds flat if you spot the heat around the corner."

Neil McCauley (Robert DeNiro): Heat 1995

     
    Registered
    Jun 2004
    Quote Originally posted by Queen B
    My father-in-law has offered us the time share at Osage Beach, MO. We got it last year too but couldn't take the kids with us. This year we are going to make that schedule happen. ALthough with this whole unemployment thing, a new job might nix me going but it would be great for dad and his girls to get away.
    Other than that we are planning to do yard work this year. We have done inside project the last two years and the King has spoken..
    My family has a condo at the Lake and the boys and I go down there every weekend of the summer. You should let me know before you guys head down there. I have a boat and jet ski so I could take you all out if you want to.

Forums Administrator & Gallery Moderator NHPlanner's avatar
    Registered
    Apr 1996
    Nothing big planned.....but likely a bunch of trips to Papoose Pond in ME to the in-law's new summer place.
    "Growth is inevitable and desirable, but destruction of community character is not. The question is not whether your part of the world is going to change. The question is how." -- Edward T. McMahon, The Conservation Fund

Registered
    May 1997
    We are taking off this spring, so beyond our annual trip to Sea Isle City, I imagine it will have to be long weekends on the Long Trail and maybe an Adirondacks hike. Hopefully there will be a fall trip to somewhere interesting, maybe Scotland, maybe Oregon.

No definate plans yet, but it looks like we may either go to Glacier National or northern California's wine country. Probably Glacier National, though.

Registered
    Dec 2004
    All booked up and ready to go; April - long weekend in Krakow, Poland (stag do/bachelor party?), May - week in the North Yorkshire Moors, September - week in Pythagorian, Samos, Greece.

Can't wait

Is it true that most North American holiday/leave time is less than over here? The usual here is about 25-30 days per year, together with some places, mostly local authorities, having flexi-time.

Quote Originally posted by noj
    All booked up and ready to go; April - long weekend in Krakow, Poland (stag do/bachelor party?), May - week in the North Yorkshire Moors, September - week in Pythagorian, Samos, Greece.

Can't wait

Is it true that most North American holiday/leave time is less than over here? The usual here is about 25-30 days per year, together with some places, mostly local authorities, having flexi-time.
    Yes, it is very true! Many people just starting a job will receive one week of vacation after being on the job for a year (meaning that they do not get any vacation the first year). I feel pretty lucky because I started out with 10 days (2 weeks), and after one year received 5 more. I get another 5 days Nov. 2006 (after 6 years of service) and I don't know when I get any more after that. I don't really plan on being here much longer after my 6th or 7th year, though.

If I had more vacation time, I think I might keep a bit more of my sanity at times.

Registered
    Apr 2004
    Blog entries
    Well I think some of my vacation time will be taken up to move into my new house, when that gets done. Also, maybe to clean up the apartment to get the ole deposit back.
    I will have much to do with landscaping, and fixing up the house (wiring for speakers, lighting improvements, installing dog door) so I may use some of that time for the improvements.
    Also, we may have no money to spend to go somewhere, which is not good.

We do have my parents' cabin in the mountains Southwest of Denver...

The GF's folks invited us to their cabin on Kootenay Lake in B.C. (sound framiliar Canuks?) And I would like to break in the new Subaru on a road trip... But, we'll see. The girlfriend finally gets to take her vacation time in June and we may save some money.

If not, we will probably try to camp (hopefully on drier weekends than this last summer) and use my year pass to Rocky Mountain National Park to a weekly hike. (Gosh, I hope we do that)

Maybe some fly fishing too. The mountains in my region of Colorado have much to offer, and I think it may be time to explore them...

I am VERY excited now, thanks for the thread, Bear.
    You get all squeezed up inside/Like the days were carved in stone/You get all wired up inside/And it's bad to be alone

You can go out, you can take a ride/And when you get out on your own/You get all smoothed out inside/And it's good to be alone
    -Peart

Registered
    Aug 2001
    A week in California in March, a long weekend in Portland in April, nothing yet in May, a week canoeing and hiking the Green River in Utah in June, no plans yet for July and August - probably just road trips and hiking in the mountains on the weekends, Chicago in September. I'd like to get to Europe, but the mortgage come first.
    Anyone want to adopt a dog?

Registered
    Apr 2004
    Blog entries
    Quote Originally posted by Cardinal
    a week canoeing and hiking the Green River in Utah in June
    Beautiful! I did that in October of 1999 and it was one of the best trips I have had.
    You get all squeezed up inside/Like the days were carved in stone/You get all wired up inside/And it's bad to be alone

You can go out, you can take a ride/And when you get out on your own/You get all smoothed out inside/And it's good to be alone
    -Peart

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jan 2003
    Summer vacations? dang... they're almost ending for me
    Oh you mean vacations around July.... oh... my winter vacations... I have no plans yet, and I doubt I'll even go back to Valdivia... since my brother might go to Santiago for teh vacations to look for internships, and there's no way he'd manage to live alone in my apartment also my parents are celebrating their 25th anniversary... so they're out on their own.

Registered
    Aug 2004
    So far, nothing specific. We are going somewhere for our anniversary in late June, but don't know where exactly or how long. I'm hoping for a loooong trip, but the hubby travels for work, so it may be somewhere close for a long weekend.
    "We do not need any other Tutankhamun's tomb with all its treasures. We need context. We need understanding. We need knowledge of historical events to tie them together. We don't know much. Of course we know a lot, but it is context that's missing, not treasures." - Werner Herzog, in Archaeology, March/April 2011

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. Summer Vacation 2007 - Your Plans
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 79
    Last post: 13 Aug 2007, 7:34 PM
  2. Summer Vacation 2006 - Your Plans
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 51
    Last post: 20 Jul 2006, 12:53 PM
  3. Replies: 17