Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Online graduate programs in planning

Online graduate programs in planning

I am a recent college graduate and have tanken a planning position with a smaller community. The closest Masters degree program is 95 miles away, which has led me to look at online alternatives for furthering my education in the planning and economic development fields. Does anyone have an idea of what is out there?

Registered
    Aug 1997
    I know Penn State has some online community development classes that leads to some kind of certificate. And both PSU and USC have online GIS certification training.

As for real graduate level classes leading to a Masters Degree, I'm not aware of any.
    JOE ILIFF

"Rarely do we find men who willingly engage in hard, solid thinking. There is an almost universal quest for easy answers and half-baked solutions. Nothing pains some people more than having to think."
    Martin Luther King, Jr.

Registered
    Aug 2001

Online Planning Courses

I recently stumbled on a site that offers planning and related couses online...www.fathom.com.

The offerings are limited, but you might find one or two that interest you. In particular, there is a FREE seminar on Sustainable Development.

Check it out.

Online classes

There is not a whole lot out there in terms of planning education. Penn State offers a certificate in Community Development and hopes to have it as a Master's degree within 3 years.

Kansas State has an on-line Master's in Environmental Planning that it has run for the military.

Ohio State University is developing on-line continuing education classes for planners. That program will debut this fall.

Registered
    Dec 2001

Penn State

PSU just sent me a survey to gather information about an online Masters Degree in Community and Economic Development, they say they're going to offer it Fall 2003, but they haven't listed prices yet.
    When Jesus said "love your enemies", he probably didn't mean kill them.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 1
    Last post: 09 Jul 2012, 8:34 PM
  2. Replies: 0
    Last post: 26 Oct 2010, 1:11 AM
  3. Replies: 1
    Last post: 17 Feb 2003, 12:44 PM
  4. Replies: 3
    Last post: 14 Feb 2003, 8:30 AM
  5. Graduate planning programs
    Student Commons