Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Crazy neighbors

Registered
    Jul 2002

Crazy neighbors

Hmmm. . .I just got a letter from the adjacent neighbor of somebody who is seeking a Variance for a home addition. This lady is against the request because she has just paid all of this money to schedule the repainting of her house and the resealing of her deck and doesn't want 'construction dust' to mess it all up. Um. . .okay. . . is the painter going to flick off every little bug he comes across too?!? :rolleyes

Registered
    Dec 2001
    based on that information alone, I belive you are on grounds to deny. No one should have to put up with a neighbor expanding their home, let alone all the transient dust particles taht will be created and encroach onto adjacent private property and potential the public right of way.

Dude, I'm cheesing so hard right now.

Registered
    Dec 2001
    I agree, setbacks are put in place for a reason and if granting a variance to the setback would cause the neighbor damage to their home you are looking at getting sued (IMHO).

However, if the variance is granted, the contractor has a responsibility to put up tarps over the neighbors house (or something similar) so as not to damage her property.

Think about it like this....If I decided to spray paint my house would you be pissed if a strong wind picked up and some over spray got on your house?

Registered
    Oct 2001

I'm with Mike

If she is only asking for a delay then I think she is being quite reasonable. Encourage her to work it out with the neighbor. If they can't screw with them both until they do. Remember you are the grown ups.

Registered
    Jul 2002
    Yeah, I know. I told her that the applicant had 180 days to get a permit if his variance was approved and they could work out a timeline, but that is not something the Zoning Board would mandate. She also had a few other complaints, but it really comes down that she also admitted that she didn't like or trust her neighbor. Most of her letter was grabbing at straws to look for a way to get it denied.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Ah, neighbors. Why is it when they can't get along they always expect the city to stick it to the other guy?

- Don't give him a variance.
    - He shouldn't be allowed to build homes on that land, and no, I don't want the city to put a park there. Leave it like it is. No, I won't buy it.
    - My neighbor always parks in front of my house. You need to take parking off that street.

C'mon people, aren't you adults? We, at least, aren't your parents.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. What to do about the new neighbors?
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 16
    Last post: 28 Feb 2013, 2:51 PM
  2. Thy neighbors
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 34
    Last post: 12 Feb 2007, 1:43 PM
  3. Planners as neighbors
    Friday Afternoon Club