Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Past Lives (AIB Alter Ego)

Registered
    Apr 2003
    In a new discovered reality where it doesn't snow

Past Lives (AIB Alter Ego)

The alter ego thread got me thinking about who I am... and who I was... before I was born. Do you believe in past lives, and if who, who were you?
    "A long habit of not thinking a thing wrong, gives it a superficial appearance of being right, and raises at first a formidable outcry in defense of custom. Time makes more converts than reason." - Thomas Paine Common Sense.

Registered
    Nov 2002
    The math doesn't work out for reincarnation since there are many more people now than years ago. But hey, if you factor in animals like the Hindus do, then it does.

Its funny that people who believe in reincarnation always think they were someone important like Napoleon, or at least someone interesting like a samuri warrior.

Registered
    Apr 2004
    Blog entries
    The teachings of Buddhism (at least what I have read in my short [so far] study) is that your life continues until you achieve enlightenment. I think they also said how your life is now, means how pure and devout your past life was. If you live with the strict teachings of the Budda, your next life will be good and you will have a better chance at enlightenment (unless you achieve enlightenment in this life) and your soul will be in the state of Nirvana for eternity. I think.

If I am way off, please someone help me to elaborate.
    You get all squeezed up inside/Like the days were carved in stone/You get all wired up inside/And it's bad to be alone

You can go out, you can take a ride/And when you get out on your own/You get all smoothed out inside/And it's good to be alone
    -Peart

Registered
    May 1997
    I have no serious doubt that the energy goes on, and always has been going on. The Judaic/Christian/Islamic heaven and hell thing is just for manipulating people.

I have had a very convincing psychic reading that provided insight into past lives - and I was NOT someone important or even particularly interesting in all of those lives.

Registered
    Jul 1998
    I believe in it too. When you meet people and feel that you have known them before is erie. That has happened a couple of time in my life. No other way to explain it other than you just know.
    “As soon as public service ceases to be the chief business of the citizens, and they would rather serve with their money than with their persons, the State is not far from its fall”
    Jean-Jacques Rousseau

Registered
    May 2002
    I believe in a limited concept of past lives, but I also believe that the ability to create new life is infinate and thus new lives are constantly created that have never lived before.

Those of you who do believe, have you ever had the opportunity to go somewhere you remember? I visited the Cowpens battlefield a few years back, after I'd found out about that battle, which I'd never heard of before, through a meditation. Very facinating experience.

By the way, I also happen to believe that you will tend to reincarnate within your family line.
    The cookies are worth the drive

Registered
    Apr 2004
    Blog entries
    You know, another thing I have read (through Buddhist study) is that people sometimes have memories very young of places they have never been/lived, and people they have never met/known. Recalling these memories in studies, they were taken and aquainted with the towns and people and have been proven that their memories are correct, and that they may have lived there in a past life.
    You get all squeezed up inside/Like the days were carved in stone/You get all wired up inside/And it's bad to be alone

You can go out, you can take a ride/And when you get out on your own/You get all smoothed out inside/And it's good to be alone
    -Peart

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally posted by Seabishop
    The math doesn't work out for reincarnation since there are many more people now than years ago. But hey, if you factor in animals like the Hindus do, then it does.
    The math doesn't work out only if we operate on the assumption that all souls are reincarnated and in linear chronological fashion. Why not reincarnate in nonlinear chronological fashion? (i.e. souls could actually originate outside of linear time and be introduced at any point in history - future or past and in no particular order). Even if we take linear time to be an absolute, I suppose there's no reason new souls couldn't be introduced now or at any point in the future, too.

Incidently, I have it on good authority that Seabishop was a mallard duck in his last lifetime. And to prove it, I'll bet if you asked him if he likes to swim he'd say yes...
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Quote Originally posted by Coragus
    <snip>
    Those of you who do believe, have you ever had the opportunity to go somewhere you remember? I visited the Cowpens battlefield a few years back, after I'd found out about that battle, which I'd never heard of before, through a meditation. Very facinating experience.
    <snip>
    I don't know if I believe, but all my life I've had a recurring dream that I was murdered by a British soldier (the red coat stands out so vividly) during the Revolution. It was somewhere in western Massachusetts, on the side of a hill overlooking a valley. When I would drive from jersey to new hampshire to visit my brother, I would get very unsettled on I-89 north of Springfield.
    Je suis Charlie

Registered
    Nov 2002
    Quote Originally posted by Maister
    Incidently, I have it on good authority that Seabishop was a mallard duck in his last lifetime. And to prove it, I'll bet if you asked him if he likes to swim he'd say yes...
    I'd rather have been a barn owl, they're cool. The ducks are your thing. (I actually can't swim.)

Registered
    Apr 2004
    Blog entries
    Quote Originally posted by Gedunker
    I don't know if I believe, but all my life I've had a recurring dream that I was murdered by a British soldier (the red coat stands out so vividly) during the Revolution. It was somewhere in western Massachusetts, on the side of a hill overlooking a valley. When I would drive from jersey to new hampshire to visit my brother, I would get very unsettled on I-89 north of Springfield.
    THAT is some interesting stuff....

-Peart

Registered
    Apr 2003
    Mine is going to sound bad... very bad... I have this reoccurring dream that I am being chased by the cops while being shot at, and I am shooting back. We are driving through the streets of Chicago (I see the Wrigley building) but it is an older Chicago. It has just rained and it his a hot muggy night. Steam is rolling of the streets, creating a hazy fog. I park the car and run into an old building to hide. The building has a wooden door that I kick in, and the windows are partly broken, and covered with paint, or soap, or something else that does prevents seeing into them. I make sure that there is a window that I can shoot out of, and find one in what appears to be an old gym. There are holes in the floors and boards over some of the windows. There is a cracking noise, and the roof starts to cave in as they are shooting into the building, that it comes crashing in around me.

The scary part, is every time I am in Chicago, I feel an amazing comfort. I feel like I know the feel and flow of the city. But I think that I was a bad, bad man in another life.
    "A long habit of not thinking a thing wrong, gives it a superficial appearance of being right, and raises at first a formidable outcry in defense of custom. Time makes more converts than reason." - Thomas Paine Common Sense.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Feb 2005
    This topic is very interesting. It's kind of freaky that this has actually come up as a thread as I've been thinking about Buddhism for a bit now and would really like to expand my knowledge on the religion. I guess everything happens for a reason. Does anyone have any suggestions for introductory readings on the subject? Any help would be much appreciated. Have a great weekend!!

Registered
    Apr 2004
    Blog entries
    That's amazing MichaelSkis....

Quote Originally posted by DevFan
    This topic is very interesting. It's kind of freaky that this has actually come up as a thread as I've been thinking about Buddhism for a bit now and would really like to expand my knowledge on the religion. I guess everything happens for a reason. Does anyone have any suggestions for introductory readings on the subject? Any help would be much appreciated. Have a great weekend!!
    I have been doing the same thing, DevFan.
    I would suggest going to www.buddhanet.net. They information and EBooks to read... for specifics please PM me.
    Good resource though.
    Last edited by Tranplanner; 25 Feb 2005 at 1:24 PM.

-Peart

Registered
    Apr 2003
    Quote Originally posted by zmanPLAN
    That's amazing MichaelSkis....
    Or I spend too much time watching Mobster movies

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Feb 2005
    I would suggest going to www.buddhanet.net. They information and EBooks to read... for specifics please PM me.
    Good resource though.[/QUOTE]

Thanks zman. I'll take a look and maybe contact you later.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jan 2003
    Hmmm... Do I believe in past lives? Nope... but have the molecules and atoms that forme me been somewhere else? certainly... but that's not a past life...

Cyburbian Emeritus Bear Up North's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003
    I keep having this feeling that I used to be a frog. My color was green and I felt lost while standing on my lily pad. Of in the distance I could hear a faint cry of "Hopkin....Hopkin....where are you?".

I asked the young and cute frog on the next lily pad what she thought she heard, Bambi didn't respond. She just croaked.

Bear
    Occupy Cyburbia!

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Quote Originally posted by DevFan
    Good resource though.
    Thanks zman. I'll take a look and maybe contact you later.[/QUOTE]

If you are interested in studying Buddhism in a place where you can also enjoy the built (and natural) environment, try here: http://www.naropa.edu/religiousstudies/index.html
    Anyone want to adopt a dog?

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Yes, I believe in reincarnation. No, I don't think it is "linear". FWIW, many astrologers (me included) believe that a soul chooses the time of birth to reflect past life experiences as well as influences from spending time in the vicinity of various planets during the times between incarnations. Of course, I see all of my beliefs as "my current mental model" and I assume there will be revisions to my understanding of life, the universe, and everything as I continue to live, read, talk to people, think, feel, and everything. I also am not so egomaniacal as to think I can possibly fit a comprehensive understanding of every detail of the universe into the little box called "the mind of Michele". So I like to leave room for life to Suprise me. But, as Lee said, "the energy goes on". If you believe in Physics and that basic law that nothing is created nor destroyed, just tranformed to new stuff, how can you believe that souls simply end when life ends?

I'm open to the possibility and the belief (or idea). It seems as legitimate as any. If you had a choice would you want to come back to earth again or leave to a new experience? Do you feel like you're ready to drop the flesh after this life ends? Better check your akashic records before you get carried away.

Registered
    Oct 2000
    I'm open, like Irish - why not? I can dig the concept of kharma and past lives, and "you reap what you sow".

Any knowledge I have of buddhism was derived, however, from the movie "Little Buddha" (a great movie, btw).

Doesn't Hinduism also deal with reincarnation?

Registered
    Dec 2004
    Quote Originally posted by Seabishop
    Its funny that people who believe in reincarnation always think they were someone important like Napoleon, or at least someone interesting like a samuri warrior.
    I've always thought that funny too Seabishop, the people who you hear about always think they were Marie Antoinette or Queen Mary or similar.

I suspect in my past life (if I had one) I was some scutty peasant who ate mud (rather like the ones in Monty Python and the Holy Grail)

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Cyburbias Brewpub, best seat in the haus!
    Ok, so you get to be reincarnated over and over again until you get it right.

You think to yourself, ew! I might come back as a disgusting bug! But really, there are worse things than coming back as a tsetse fly or dung beetle. If you really misbehave, you get sentenced to being a Galopagose Tortoise. Thats right, if you were to come back as a bug, its over in a few weeks and then your up the latter again. As a Galopagose Torioise, you have upwards of 3 to 5 HUNDRED years of eating salad to think about becoming a misquito! Or you get to be a Lake sturgeon, upwards of 150 sucking PCB contaminated mud off the bottom of Lake Michigan or the Volga!

I sentence Michael Jackson to be a Galopagose Tortoise!
    I can't deliver UTOPIA, but I can create a HELL for you to LIVE in :)DoD:(

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jan 2003
    Quote Originally posted by Duke Of Dystopia
    I sentence Michael Jackson to be a Galopagose Tortoise!
    Nah... Kids love to ride tortoises (I'm soo going to hell)

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 1
    Last post: 01 Mar 2012, 5:40 PM
  2. Replies: 24
    Last post: 11 Mar 2007, 11:08 PM
  3. Do You Have An Alter Ego?
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 27
    Last post: 25 Feb 2005, 9:48 AM
  4. Past lives?