Urban planning community | #theplannerlife

+ Reply to thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: American chains overseas

Registered
    Dec 2004
    As jimi_d said, Wal Mart is represented here by Asda. Although they don't seem to be growing that much at the moment, as they still have to face the vast ever growing behemoth that is Tescos. And Asda have bloody annoying adverts.

I like the idea of buying beer at a fast food place, even if it is crap beer. I was unaware Wimpy's were still going (main marketing point- proper cutlery and crockery!) until I drove past one the other day. It was like a blast from the past.

Like Nandos too, and am also quite fond of Mamma Amalfis, an Italian restaurant chain here. Are they anywhere else? They do a very good calzone.

Registered
    Dec 2003
    Its obvious the US has been effective in exporting unhealthy eating habits. How about the whole fitness "craze" (can you call it a "craze" anymore?) Any Bally's, LA Fitness, Curves for Women noted in other countries? I've never seen any. You don't see many morbidly obese people in the European countries I've visited, but you don't see many overly muscled guys or extra-aerobicized women either.

When I went jogging on a cool, rainy June morning in a suburb of The Hague, I got some surprised stares. But to bike to work there in all kinds of weather is quite common. At least they have that for burning up those empty calories from fast food.
    Adrift in a sea of beige

Registered
    Oct 2004
    Quote Originally posted by noj
    As jimi_d said, Wal Mart is represented here by Asda. Although they don't seem to be growing that much at the moment, as they still have to face the vast ever growing behemoth that is Tescos. And Asda have bloody annoying adverts.
    You can guess what ASDA is in Sign Language

I like the idea of buying beer at a fast food place, even if it is crap beer. I was unaware Wimpy's were still going (main marketing point- proper cutlery and crockery!) until I drove past one the other day. It was like a blast from the past.
    There's one in Birmingham. I haven't been in there for years, but I walk past it quite a bit!

Like Nandos too, and am also quite fond of Mamma Amalfis, an Italian restaurant chain here. Are they anywhere else? They do a very good calzone.
    I must look out for them...

Registered
    Oct 2004
    Quote Originally posted by boilerplater
    Its obvious the US has been effective in exporting unhealthy eating habits. How about the whole fitness "craze" (can you call it a "craze" anymore?) Any Bally's, LA Fitness, Curves for Women noted in other countries? I've never seen any. You don't see many morbidly obese people in the European countries I've visited, but you don't see many overly muscled guys or extra-aerobicized women either.
    Yes. There's an LA Fitness about 10 minutes walk from my house. Needless to say, the UK has the highest obesity rate in Europe.

+ Reply to thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

More at Cyburbia

1. Good chains, bad chains
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 7
    Last post: 24 Jul 2012, 7:47 AM
  2. Urban planning overseas
    Career Development and Advice
    Replies: 9
    Last post: 01 Feb 2010, 7:52 PM
  3. Working overseas