Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Arcview 8.1 problem

Registered
    Jul 2002

Arcview 8.1 problem

My computer is running MS Windows 200 (5.00.2195 sp4). I'm having a problem with Arcview 8.1 as follows:
    When I try to clip one shapefile by another I get the following message
    "The instruction at "0x7800fdc9" referenced memory at "0x0000000c". The memory could not be "read" "

"Click on OK to terminate the program"
    When I click ok, Arc shuts down. I got one help response at http://kmeleon.sourceforge.net/forum...&i=10906&t=109 but it doesn't help me much. Any guidence would be appreciated.
    WALSTIB

Suspended Bad Email Address teshadoh's avatar
    Registered
    Mar 2004
    Unfortunately it sounds like more of a hardware issue - memory. You could increase your virtual memory, I don't know much about that, but ultimately it would be the amount of RAM.

How many features in the shapefiles are you clipping? Also, do they have a large number of attributes? You could clip a smaller batch to see if that would work.

Registered
    Dec 2003
    ArcView 8.1 had lots of problems from the start. You'll have to go to their website and download some patches for the program.
    A guy once told me, "Do not have any attachments, do not have anything in your life you are not willing to walk out on in 30 seconds flat if you spot the heat around the corner."

Neil McCauley (Robert DeNiro): Heat 1995

Suspended Bad Email Address teshadoh's avatar
    Registered
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally posted by Rumpy Tunanator
    ArcView 8.1 had lots of problems from the start. You'll have to go to their website and download some patches for the program.
    I think I like your suggestion better - Tom, ignore mine

Registered
    Jul 2002

Curver Ball

Curve ball: Same software on an older (lesser) computer - No problem,?
    WALSTIB

Registered
    Aug 2001
    ESRI has some known conflicts with other programs too. It does not play well witrh others, although 8.1 is better that its predecessors. Do you have other software open or in the system tray while you're doing this?

Registered
    Jul 2002

Arcmap

Open
    I'm not sure what a system tray is.
    WALSTIB

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Quote Originally posted by Tom R
    Open
    I'm not sure what a system tray is.
    In windows, in the lower right corner, to the left of the clock, there are small icons indicating programs that are loaded and "open". When several are open, they will be hidden and a "<" arrow will be there, indicating that if you click it, it will expand the list of open programs. For example right now I have 11 of these icons behind the "<".

Registered
    Jul 2002

gotcha

The tray contains MS I Explorer, Outlook ex, Outlook, Winamp, Visioneer (Scan software) Winzip.
    WALSTIB

Registered
    May 2003
    I might be a little behind the times in replying to this one but I used to have a similar problem. This may be obvious, but make sure the new shapefile you're creating by clipping one layer based on another does not have any spaces in the file name. I've had lots of problems with 8.1 when I used spaces in the file names (even though in Windows 2000 it shouldn't be too big a problem).

This one may be out of your hands, but you need to upgrade. The latest is ArcGIS 9.0, service pack 3. It'll still crash, but less often. If it's a money issue, you've got to explain to the powers that the old software reduces your efficiency.

Remember, ESRI stands for the Environmental Systems RESEARCH Institute. They never claim to get it right.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. GIS ArcView GIS 10?
    Information Technology
    Replies: 1
    Last post: 10 Apr 2012, 5:17 PM
  2. ArcView 9.3 safe?
    Information Technology
    Replies: 7
    Last post: 25 Jul 2008, 11:00 AM
  3. Problem with AICP exam problem!
    Career Development and Advice