Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Dual degrees? [was: Silly question...]

Dual degrees? [was: Silly question...]

Say someone was considering a dual Bachelor's and dual Master's from the same university.

Is there any disadvantage to having all your degrees from one school? Does an employer even care?

(It's just easier that way and it cuts down on dublicate course work ... also all your credits are ensured to transfer )

Moderator note:
    Thread Title Clarified.

-Chet

Part II

What I'm really looking for is a M.B.A. + M.S.P. dual degree which can be completed in under three years. I'm a good student, I have glorified references from 70-year old professors ready to croak, I'm studying for the GMAT, but i'll have zero work experience outside of a part-time job.

I'm currently at Florida state which has an excellent planning program, but the MBA program... let's just say it's not so excellent. However, it does have it's appeal considering the reasonably priced in-state graduate tuition.

Registered
    Feb 2005
    I've heard that it's better to get your graduate degree from a different school than you undergrad because you WILL have repeat coursework at the same school. It depends on where you go and what the programs entail but diversity is a good thing as far as I'm concerned.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    I see no problem with getting a bachelors and masters from the same university. I would strongly recommend against continuing for a PhD at the same university.

There is much you can learn by going on to higher levels at the same university, and for some, an advantage in advanced courses relating more closely to introductory ones, and in a common theme within the department. As an employer, I could care less about whether your degrees are from the same university, or for that matter, which university you went to.
    Anyone want to adopt a dog?

Registered
    Jan 2005

Planner Girl in Nor.Cal

Quote Originally posted by OfficialPlanner
    Say someone was considering a dual Bachelor's and dual Master's from the same university.

Is there any disadvantage to having all your degrees from one school? Does an employer even care?

(It's just easier that way and it cuts down on dublicate course work ... also all your credits are ensured to transfer )
    I don't think it makes a difference... I have a friend who received both from one school and another who went somewhere else.... all that matters is how good you are at what you do.... that's bottom line and, where I work, that's what employers really look for

Registered
    Aug 2001
    I would agree with Cardinal, but as an employer, if you have zero work experience and dual degrees, I'd be likely to hire the other candidate with internship experience and one advanced degree.

Registered
    Feb 1998
    The question of going to different schools matters only in academia. If you desire a PhD later, go with Cardinal.

Quote Originally posted by Chet
    I would agree with Cardinal, but as an employer, if you have zero work experience and dual degrees, I'd be likely to hire the other candidate with internship experience and one advanced degree.
    I understand this. I figure it's better to get my education goals out of the way while I have minimal obligations than to enter the working world for a few years and risk doing something silly... something that might make it more difficult to go back for my masters in the future.

I'm thinking that my first job after graduation will also have to dub for the internships and work experience that I did not do during college. After I build up a few years work experience, I'll then start a search for a career.

I assume this will be okay, is it?

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Quote Originally posted by OfficialPlanner
    I'm thinking that my first job after graduation will also have to dub for the internships and work experience that I did not do during college. After I build up a few years work experience, I'll then start a search for a career.

I assume this will be okay, is it?
    I'm not sure what you are saying. Your career really begins with your first job, and you should expect to move around a bit.

It was just in response to Chet's comments: "if you have zero work experience and dual degrees, I'd be likely to hire the other candidate with internship experience and one advanced degree."

After graduation, and after I've been working for a couple years, say I wanted to then go look for another career. I assume my lack of internships taken in college will be irrelevant at this stage since I would then have a couple years work experience behind me.

Sorry for the confusion.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Gotcha. You're right, it wouldnt matter to me at that point

Registered
    Sep 2001
    The quote I was given from a professor I respected was "that if you had not learned everything you needed from him in 4 years, what did you think another 2 years would get you?" Even for people not intending to enter academia, he was of the opinion that going to different schools for your masters and undergrad is a good idea. New ideas, new people, new places.
    Too lazy to beat myself up for being to lazy to beat myself up for being too lazy to... well you get the point....

Registered
    Feb 2005
    I have a dual degrees in architecture and construction. I went out and got 2 years of practical experience. I then returned to the same university to get my Master's in Planning. I went through all the departments (Architecture, Construction Science, and Landscape Architecture and Urban Development) in my school's College of Architecture and never had the same professor twice for either degree. Although, I graduated in May and am still looking for an entry level job, if someone can please help explain this, PLEASE HELP ME!

Laters,

Unfrozen Caveman Planner mendelman's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003
    I did my BA and Master's at the same highly respected public university, and have had no problems so far.

I didn't repeat any course work or pofessors because my undergrad was History and Master's was Planning, and the Planning department had no undergrad program.

As for opinions from the employer's end, go with Cardinal and Chet.
    I'm sorry. Is my bias showing?

The ends can justify the means.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Quote Originally posted by Urban P.
    I have a dual degrees in architecture and construction. I went out and got 2 years of practical experience. I then returned to the same university to get my Master's in Planning. I went through all the departments (Architecture, Construction Science, and Landscape Architecture and Urban Development) in my school's College of Architecture and never had the same professor twice for either degree. Although, I graduated in May and am still looking for an entry level job, if someone can please help explain this, PLEASE HELP ME!

Laters,
    Where are you looking? There are parts of the country where people are hiring.

     
    Registered
    Dec 2004
    If plan to remain in Florida, then I'd go for it.

Registered
    Feb 2005
    Quote Originally posted by Cardinal
    Where are you looking? There are parts of the country where people are hiring.
    I've almost exclusively been looking in the Texas. That's where I've had almost all of the interest whether it be for a city, consultant and/or COG. Right now I'm working on trying to get into interviews with two fairly COGs in two respectively large metropolitan areas here in Texas. Although, I don't quite have the "organization/understanding" of COGs that I've learned of cities and consulting firms, if you know what I mean? Basically, I've networked majorly, but now I'm learning how utilize that network.

It's been over half a year since I got my Master's. Do I need to think about just attempting some form of internship? Also, how much consideration does an interviewee/employer view gaps from graduation to interview and/or first job? Do they consider the difficulty (i.e.tough job market etc...) sometimes in gaining that first opportunity? I'm kinda split between some advice given, from experienced planners, to "just taking any job" or taking a bit longer and "accepting a position that fits both sides more complementary." Any thoughts.

Laters,

Registered
    May 1997
    I am going to go against the prevailing tide here. What you learn is not all, or even mostly, in classes. Planners can only learn about how communities change by traveling, the more extensively the better. Ceterus paribus, I am going to prefer the candidate who has broadened his or her education by going to school in different places. If you're at Florida State now, I'd recommend one of the big Midwestern research universities or somewhere on the West Coast. You need to see the contrast among regional cultures, landscapes, and planning styles.

Registered
    Jul 2004
    Quote Originally posted by Urban P.
    I've almost exclusively been looking in the Texas. That's where I've had almost all of the interest whether it be for a city, consultant and/or COG. Right now I'm working on trying to get into interviews with two fairly COGs in two respectively large metropolitan areas here in Texas. Although, I don't quite have the "organization/understanding" of COGs that I've learned of cities and consulting firms, if you know what I mean? Basically, I've networked majorly, but now I'm learning how utilize that network.

It's been over half a year since I got my Master's. Do I need to think about just attempting some form of internship? Also, how much consideration does an interviewee/employer view gaps from graduation to interview and/or first job? Do they consider the difficulty (i.e.tough job market etc...) sometimes in gaining that first opportunity? I'm kinda split between some advice given, from experienced planners, to "just taking any job" or taking a bit longer and "accepting a position that fits both sides more complementary." Any thoughts.

Laters,
    Did you go to Texas A&M? I'm thinking about going there for the Master of Science in Land Development. What are COGs?

As far as job hunting, I would advise against taking "just any job" unless you desperately need the income. Chances are you'll get stuck doing something you don't like, and then it will be even harder to find the "perfect job".

Registered
    Mar 2004
    Blog entries

Har har har....

Quote Originally posted by mendelman
    I did my BA and Master's at the same highly respected public university, and have had no problems so far.
    We're just being polite here though ......hmmpph....ha ha ha....just messing with the mendelman.....
    "The modern conservative is engaged in one of man's oldest exercises in moral philosophy; that is, the search for a superior moral justification for selfishness."
    John Kenneth Galbraith

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Dual degrees?
    Student Commons
    Replies: 4
    Last post: 24 Sep 2009, 12:54 AM
  2. Dual Degrees
    Career Development and Advice
    Replies: 2
    Last post: 19 Aug 2006, 3:13 AM
  3. Dual Degrees