Urban planning community | #theplannerlife

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: What's Hanging On Your Rearview Mirror?

Cyburbian Emeritus Bear Up North's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003

What's Hanging On Your Rearview Mirror?

Katie and I had to drive up to Adrian, MI, this morning. Birthday gift time for my oldest granddaughter.....Anjelica. She is now thirteen (13). I'm old.

On the way up I was noticing the gentle sway of the stuff that is hanging from my rearview mirror. Here's the list:

A smaller-than-a-credit-card sized card that says "Pittsburgh Steelers".

A small Bear, hanging on a chain.

A pair of fuzzy dice, black and white.....soon (warmer weather) to be changed to black and gold (Steelers colors).

This got me thinking back to my 1959 DeSoto. During the late 1950's all Chrysler Corporation cars had the interior rearview mirrors mounted on the dashboards. Tough to hang stuff from those mirrors.

So, what's on your rearview mirror?

Bear

Registered
    Mar 2003
    Nothing. I don't want any distraction in my view. I really hate things on my dash too! I won't even wear sunglasses unless the glare is un bearable cause it interfers in my line of sight. Weird, huh!
    It is all a matter of perspective!!!

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries
    Nothing. During my college years, it was a parking pass and my high school graduation tassel. (Don't know where that is now.)

When the revolution comes, big-haired women who drive Chevrolet Cavaliers, all of which have a shiny crystal danging from their rear view mirrors, will be up against the wall along with telemarketers, e-mail spammers, every executive and management-level employee -- excluding on-air staff -- of Clear Channel, and those responsible for Jamster and Dirtyhippo.
    Growth for growth's sake is the ideology of the cancer cell. -- Edward Abbey

I don't even have a rearview mirror.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jan 2003
    Hmmm I don't own a car... My parents car (which I rarely drive) doesn't have anything hanging... it's distracting, period.

Now... rearview mirrors in mass transit busess are excessively adorned... Let's start by the mandatory hanging jesus statue and other catholic parafernalia, and it can't be a mass transit bus without CDs on the windshield (remember that urban myth that says that if you put CDs in your windshield they'll reflect the laser from speed contolling guns?) Oh... I was forgetting about the curtain in the windshield also... (CLASSY!!!) And that's why I preffer using the subway...(much better LOS and speed, and all for the same price!)

Registered
    Sep 1999
    Nothing. Anything I would want to hang there (work ID, whistle) would start swinging back and forth and drive me nuts.

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    I will go even a step further than Queen B to include the back window deck.

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Quote Originally posted by Super Amputee Cat
    I don't even have a rearview mirror.
    I have a black exterior, black interior car that gets VERY hot in summer. Due to the incessant baking, the rear view mirror falls off like clock work about every three years. I imagine it would fall off more often if I had anything hanging from it (other than the occasional parking pass -- I still sometimes take college classes on a real campus). Like others here, I also don't like distractions when driving. I already drive like a little old lady. We don't need to do anything to exagerate my pathetic driving.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    nothing hangs from the rearview mirror at the moment, mycar is completely unadorned, no photos pasted to the dash, no statuettes, no fuzzy critters or prism stickers printed with my babies names no crystals snowflakes or angels spinning not even a pine freshener.

I should put a shell necklace or mardi gras beads, or a bandana with a picture pin of my soccer players stuck in it...just to jazz it up a bit.
    what is the purpose within
    if not to reach the cluBBe
    herein it remains contained
    let the journey of the words begin

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Nothing but a parking permit.

Trivia question: My grandmother used to have a small chimney sweep hang from hers. Who knows the significance?
    Anyone want to adopt a dog?

Registered
    Sep 1999
    Quote Originally posted by Cardinal

Trivia question: My grandmother used to have a small chimney sweep hang from hers. Who knows the significance?
    She had a thing for midgets?

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Just my earpiece for the cell phone. I will NOT talk on the phone without being hands free, and even then will usually not answer, just note the Caller ID and cll them back later. This is a driect result of watching people do STOOPID things while talking on the ohone and driving.

Registered
    Apr 2004
    Blog entries
    Quote Originally posted by Chet
    Just my earpiece for the cell phone. I will NOT talk on the phone without being hands free, and even then will usually not answer, just note the Caller ID and cll them back later. This is a driect result of watching people do STOOPID things while talking on the ohone and driving.

I should do that!

I only have a discount ski pass hanging from there. I used to have parking passes and the like, but not anymore.
    You get all squeezed up inside/Like the days were carved in stone/You get all wired up inside/And it's bad to be alone

You can go out, you can take a ride/And when you get out on your own/You get all smoothed out inside/And it's good to be alone
    -Peart

     
    Registered
    Jun 2004
    Nothing hanging from mine.

Registered
    Dec 2003
    A Homer Simpson air freshener, long dried out, and a little green alien figurine on a string that my friend's daughter left behind. Maybe its time to update. There's an EZ Pass transponder stuck up behind it. Does that count? Its hanging on velcro in the mirror area.

Man, I'm bored.

Registered
    Sep 2001
    This should be everyone's answer.

"'cause you find one in every car."

In reality, nothing.
    Too lazy to beat myself up for being to lazy to beat myself up for being too lazy to... well you get the point....

Registered
    Feb 2005
    Noting, in fact I don't even own a rearview mirror

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Before the 'lowrider' rear view mirror fell off 8 months ago, it sported a 2001 Michigan parks campsite sticker. I was going to glue the mirror back on but decided not to after a couple of weeks driving around without. It seems I stress a lot less not knowing who's tailgating me...
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

I have two rerview mirrors: one for traffic and the second, non-factory option, rearview mirror to ward off the inevitable fights between 8yo boy and 5yo girl.

Both (mirrors) beautifully unadorned.
    Labor is prior to, and independent of, capital. Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if labor had not first existed. Labor is the superior of capital, and deserves much the higher consideration.
    Abraham Lincoln

Registered
    Jun 2004
    Quote Originally posted by Cardinal

It was there for luck.

i have a WWJD necklace that my foster daughter insisted that i place there... i guess she experienced one to many intances of road rage. she told me i needed it more then her. Also a bathroom pass from the same foster daughter that i need to get back to preschool.

Registered
    Dec 2004
    Hula girl air freshener and parking pass.
    In the past I had my tassel from college graduation hanging there.. but it was too distracting... It was however fun on on/off ramps, it would sway with the centrifugal (or whatever) force.

moderator in moderation Suburb Repairman's avatar
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    Nothing at this time. My old car had a pair of fuzzy dice and a pair of baby shoes that my girlfriend had decorated and given me (inside joke about my feet).

My far the most obnoxious thing are the people that hand a CD off their mirror. That thing spins around and just about blinds you when the sun or headlights hit it just right.

"Oh, that is all well and good, but, voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. It works the same way in any country."

- Herman Göring at the Nuremburg trials (thoughts on democracy)

Registered
    Aug 2004
    Nuttin, honey. I used to hang a school parking permit, but then I graduated. Then it was a parking permit for work, but then I left that hellhole. Here, I ride the bus.

I do have a Beanie Baby snake (tag says name is Hissy) wrapped around my gearshift. But that's not distracting - and it relates to my handle, so it's a must!
    "We do not need any other Tutankhamun's tomb with all its treasures. We need context. We need understanding. We need knowledge of historical events to tie them together. We don't know much. Of course we know a lot, but it is context that's missing, not treasures." - Werner Herzog, in Archaeology, March/April 2011

Registered
    Feb 2003
    Nothing. I like to go "bare" as much as possible.

My worker ID badge. I find that if I don't put it there, I'll forget it, then I can't get into the building.

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. Signs / billboards Signs hanging over right-of-way
    Land Use and Zoning
    Replies: 13
    Last post: 11 Feb 2010, 12:00 AM
  2. Replies: 2
    Last post: 20 Dec 2006, 8:47 AM
  3. Replies: 6
    Last post: 29 Sep 2006, 12:02 PM
  4. Replies: 6