Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Houston...... we’ve lost a planet.

Registered
    Apr 2003

Houston...... we’ve lost a planet.

Well after several decades of school teachers saying that we have 9 planets in our solar system, kids having a little purple dot around the outer edge of their mobiles, and all those posters with 9 orbs around a large ball of fire called the sun, Pluto is no longer a planet.

(CNN LINK)

My question is what does it matter? Why is it not a planet? Will this change the way that people live their lives? Will be space aliens be ticked off at us for it?

What are your thoughts on it?
    "A long habit of not thinking a thing wrong, gives it a superficial appearance of being right, and raises at first a formidable outcry in defense of custom. Time makes more converts than reason." - Thomas Paine Common Sense.

Registered
    Feb 2004
    How terrible! I subscribe to the 'no iceball left behind' policy.
    http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20060820/.../planet_hunter

Children in the year 2032 should have to memorize 57 'planets'!
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Quote Originally posted by michaelskis View post
    Pluto is no longer a planet.
    What are your thoughts on it?
    I'm sure the Republicans are behind this! Further efforts to hide global warming by taking status away from a frozen planet...errr....giant space rock.
    "You can measure the health of a city by the vitality and energy of its streets and public open spaces.”-- William H. Whyte..

Registered
    Jul 2006
    This probably sounds dumb, but one of the first things I thought of is it's like losing a landmark within your city... something you took for granted is suddenly gone. The solar system just got a bit smaller.

Also dumb -- I guess Pluto's real estate values have just dropped

Oh well. Better than the other alternative they were considering with a bunch of crazy new planets.

One last thought -- does this affect the credibility of "space" for anyone? To me, this is kind of like when something goes wrong for NASA, or someone says the moon landings were a hoax, etc... it makes "space" just a little less cool, and more hokey.

Super Moderator luckless pedestrian's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2005

it's an outrage I tell you!

I'm sure the folks at Disney are bummin'

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Pluto has never been a planet. Its oblong orbit overlaps (dips closer to the sun), Neptune’s orbit. BTW: who cares?
    Annoyingly insensitive

What else are they going to come up with?
    Are they going to disspell that we came from monkeys too???
    Who's gonna re-invent the wheel today?

Why do 2,500 astronomers get to decide if Pluto is a planet. Did we elect them to represent us? Don't we get a voice? Do they think we are too stupid to be part of this discussion? I watch Nova. I feel I am informed. Why pick on a small defenseless planet. I don't see those astronomers picking on Jupiter. What happened to democracy? I think we should take this issue to the People. Pluto Power!!

Registered
    May 2003
    Quote Originally posted by transformer
    Why do 2,500 astronomers get to decide if Pluto is a planet.
    Quote Originally posted by RichmondJake View post
    Pluto has never been a planet.

So just think of it like when the Catholic Church annulls a marriage.

The worst part of having Pluto as a planet is that there were no good pictures of it. Like, you look in those books that have all those amazing Voyager shots of all the other planets and then they get to Pluto and it's just a fuzzy blue blob taken from Hubble. I bet this move will really increase the overall presentation of solar system books.
    Reality does not conform to your ideology.
    http://neighborhoods.chicago.il.us Photographs of Life in the Neighborhoods of Chicago
    http://hafd.org/~jordanb/ Pretentious Weblog.

Registered
    Jul 2003
    I wonder if astrology magazines will treat this as Headline News and a Major Crisis.

So what will happen to:

"My Very Educated Mother Just Showed Us Nine Planets"

Super Moderator luckless pedestrian's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally posted by Michele Zone View post
    I wonder if astology magazines will treat this as Headline News and a Major Crisis.
    LOL!!!!

We still have Pluto the dog.

Registered
    Sep 1999
    I dunno, it feels kind of funny after thinking about Pluto as a planet all my life, like if Congress suddenly voted that one of the states isn't a state anymore.

Registered
    Dec 2001
    Most upset will be my hometown, the birthplace of Clyde Tombaugh. They'll have to remove the small monument erected in front of City Hall that proclaims his discovery.

A couple years back, a couple elementry schools banned together to petition the retention of Pluto as a planet.

Now, the only thing my hometown has to be "famous" for is Baskin-Robbins. Mr. Baskin was from Streator, IL.
    Dude, I'm cheesing so hard right now.

Registered
    Jun 2005
    Gee, Pluto was my favourite planet too- i did my year two science project on it
    "Have you ever wondered if there was more to life, other than being really, really, ridiculously good looking?" Zoolander

Registered
    Dec 2003
    These came from the local newspaper's blog on the subject:

It’s not a demotion. It’s a reclassification. Pluto’s characteristics are very unlike a planet but pretty typical for a Kuiper Belt Object. It just so happens there was a 60-year gap between the discovery of Pluto and the discovery of additional KBOs, but that is certainly no reason not to correct the way Pluto is categorized.
    When Pluto was discovered in 1930, it was thought to be much larger than it was — it wasn’t until years later when it was revealed that Pluto was only one of the largest members of a group of icy worlds orbiting in a vast zone beyond Neptune.

Similarly, when the asteroids were first discovered 200 years ago, they were initially grouped as planets, but as their numbers grew, astronomers came to their senses and reealized that they were just small bits of debris and stripped of their planethood.

The reality of science is that as new discoveries are made, sometimes terminologies and classifications need to be redefined — especially in astronomy. Unfortunately, Americans as a whole are lacking in this understanding, and any kind of romantic attachment to Pluto as one’s “favorite planet” is just bewildering to me.
    I think they're rather well reasoned. It's science not religion. Things are suppose to change with the addition of new information.

Edit: Pluto might have the last laugh
    http://www.myconfinedspace.com/wp-co...to-astroid.jpg
    As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron. - H.L. Mencken

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Quote Originally posted by luckless pedestrian View post
    LOL!!!!
    I do astrology, so I'm probably a good person to poke fun at it. Besides, I don't agree with all the rulerships and so forth as is.

Cyburbian Emeritus Bear Up North's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003
    I happened to catch the tail end of the ABC Nightly News. When I heard the announcer mention "icy dwarf" I assumed that they were discussing a ZG trip to Michigan in February.

Bear Running & Hiding Behind Uranus
    Occupy Cyburbia!

Registered
    Jun 2003

Apparently all that medical treatment has not affected/altered The Bear's wicked sense of humor.
    Oddball
    Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves?
    Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
    Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
    From Kelly's Heroes (1970)

Are you sure you're not hurt ?
    No. Just some parts wake up faster than others.
    Broke parts take a little longer, though.
    From Electric Horseman (1979)

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jan 2003
    Now all Astronomers have to do is to "reclassify" Neptune, so Uranus is the last planet in the solar system...

Well I haven't considered Pluto a planet since quite some while... And I don't see what's the big fuss about it... it's a big chunk of ice very very far away from us.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Quote Originally posted by Bear Up North View post
    I happened to catch the tail end of the ABC Nightly News. When I heard the announcer mention "icy dwarf" I assumed that they were discussing a ZG trip to Michigan in February.

Bear Running & Hiding Behind Uranus
    Off-topic:
    Hairy running man with the big butt: do you have some sort of a death wish?
    Annoyingly insensitive

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Blog entries
    Quote Originally posted by Zoning Goddess View post
    I dunno, it feels kind of funny after thinking about Pluto as a planet all my life, like if Congress suddenly voted that one of the states isn't a state anymore.
    I agree. Let's make Rhode Island a territory or a protectorate. It is obviously too small to be a state. Two senators - come on! Maybe one senator, part-time or maybe they could share a senator with Alaska.

Pluto is my son's favorite planet, too, or should I now say, dwalf planet. He is only five. He isn't old enough to enjoy the juvenile pleasure of Uranus.
    Last edited by otterpop; 25 Aug 2006 at 10:51 AM.
    "I am very good at reading women, but I get into trouble for using the Braille method."

~ Otterpop ~

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jun 2005
    So its not a planet anymore. Hmmmm... How about a destination point. Mixed use development anyone?

Unfrozen Caveman Planner mendelman's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003
    Off-topic:
    Quote Originally posted by Zoning Goddess View post
    ...like if Congress suddenly voted that one of the states isn't a state anymore.
    Yeah...poor Rhode Island.
    I'm sorry. Is my bias showing?

The ends can justify the means.

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 2
    Last post: 29 Sep 2011, 8:10 AM
  2. Replies: 5
    Last post: 26 Feb 2009, 9:40 AM
  3. Replies: 0
    Last post: 10 Oct 2008, 6:28 PM