Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Have you ever, or do you know own/ride a motorcycle?

Cyburbian Plus Whose Yur Planner's avatar
    Registered
    Jun 2004
    No and will never. My dad was a cop and would come home with stories of bike wrecks he covered. He would also go into graphic detail about them. After a while I told him that I had gotten the drift and wouldn't ride one.

Registered
    Feb 2003
    Yes. I have an uncle who owns two Harleys -- a 1979 triumph and a on the road kind, don't know which. He takes me on joy rides often.

And I have a friend who owns a honda crotch rocket. Lots of fun.

I am going to own one someday. Can't beat the thrill.
    “I am not discouraged, because every wrong attempt discarded is another step forward.” - Thomas Edison

A 1975 Honda CB550. Great touring bike for a smaller person. It didn't hold up well to a front tire becoming suddenly deflated at 70 mph, though. I got out of that with a dislocated shoulder and went back to riding as soon as the brace came off. I WILL be back in the wind as soon as I can afford a bike large enough to tote my big carcass. Definately take the lessons though. I was a trail biker before my father passed his 550 down the line so I had plenty of time in the dirt. First couple of road trips were on a Yamaha CT3 175 dirt bike. Not a good choice for long trips but fun for commutes. Small, quick, and extremely aggravating to others with the 2-stroke buzzing. I love to aggravate.

Registered
    Jun 2003
    I used to ride a bike to commute to uni. many moons ago. It was an enduro bike so not a good choice for the road trip to uni, but fun on weekends. That part of my life ended with the inevitable when a woman picking up her son from sport (cricket) pulled out in front of me - short stay in hospital but no real damge. Mrs Rem (my gf at the time), sold me her car to replace the bike and saved me from a recurrence. I'm contemplating a mid-life crisis but I'm torn between a bike or a new boat.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    I've been bitten by the bug again, but my husband is downsizing his stable making room for a Porsche Spyder... I am contemplating dreaming scheming over a BMW 650 dual sport bike. Back before kids I learned to ride on a 200 Yamaha that I rode the wheels off of and then I graduated to a Cagiva (ducati) 650. Took several long trips with the husband( 907 Duc, just sold it to a lucky couple in Ohio)...the longest being a Michigan to N Florida road trip. We had two way radios that were fun, at first

I would like to get back on the bike for making the morning commute mo better.

Registered
    Jul 1998
    Quote Originally posted by Jen
    I graduated to a Cagiva (ducati) 650.
    That's hot!
    “As soon as public service ceases to be the chief business of the citizens, and they would rather serve with their money than with their persons, the State is not far from its fall”
    Jean-Jacques Rousseau

maudit anglais
    Registered
    May 1997
    Never really had the desire to ride a motorcycle. One of my cousins in England drove his bike through a milk float once (small electric truck used to delivery milk).

Oh, and PG - you're not fooling us. We all know you just like getting geared up in head to toe leather

Registered
    Mar 2002
    Ha! No too friggin HOT, I want a Aerostitch Roadcrafter full body suit to match Steves so I will have better protection and maybe better temp control.

Hey anyone seen Alton Brown's (Good Eats) shows where hes on his bike?
    "They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Ben Franklin

Remember this motto to live by: "Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, martini in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming 'WOO- HOO what a ride!'"

Registered
    Jul 1998
    Quote Originally posted by PlannerGirl
    No, does he bake a turkey on the mufflers?
    “As soon as public service ceases to be the chief business of the citizens, and they would rather serve with their money than with their persons, the State is not far from its fall”
    Jean-Jacques Rousseau

Registered
    Apr 2004
    Blog entries
    Here is what I found that might be good for me....
    The GF may not like it...

I may need help Mods... I can't seem to get it...

Moderator note:
    (NHPlanner) Image link fixed. You need to put the file name into the "img" code, not the url of the page where it's displayed.

Thanks NH.
    Last edited by zman; 01 Mar 2005 at 11:08 AM.
    You get all squeezed up inside/Like the days were carved in stone/You get all wired up inside/And it's bad to be alone

You can go out, you can take a ride/And when you get out on your own/You get all smoothed out inside/And it's good to be alone
    -Peart

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Quote Originally posted by giff57
    That's hot!
    I bought it new in 1992 right out of the crate but it is a 1987 model. That thing ran flawless from day one too!

It was or is even hotter today. All tricked out, new fiberglass, exhaust, solo seat, clip ons,instead of a tricolor stock scheme its red all over including the rims... race track ready but still street legal. iit's his now, but I kind of miss the yahama more.

Registered
    Apr 2004
    Blog entries
    Looks like my fiance and I will be taking a trip to the mountains next month with some friends. The main purpose? Camping, but also learning to ride a motorcycle on smooth, wide dirt roads hardly ever used.

I cannot believe my fiance suggested this...
    You get all squeezed up inside/Like the days were carved in stone/You get all wired up inside/And it's bad to be alone

You can go out, you can take a ride/And when you get out on your own/You get all smoothed out inside/And it's good to be alone
    -Peart

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Blog entries
    Quote Originally posted by PlannerGirl View post
    Ha! No too friggin HOT, I want a Aerostitch Roadcrafter full body suit to match Steves so I will have better protection and maybe better temp control.

Saw the Alton Brown series. I like his take on cooking. The lunchbox cooker was cool. Cooking on the muffler was also interesting.

As for motorbikes. I've not been interested until late. Being a river rat I've thought about the conveneince of being able to leave a motorbike at the take-out, so i wouldn't be so dependent on finding someone with a car to help with the shuttles. Lately I've seen a lot of people on motor scooters and it looks like a good way to get to work in the summer and use less gas.

But I doubt I will ever get one.
    "I am very good at reading women, but I get into trouble for using the Braille method."

~ Otterpop ~

Registered
    Mar 2006
    My dad had a number of motorcycles in his youth, right up to the Honda he had when I was growing up. He'd give all the neighborhood kids rides on it (after they asked their parents for permission) every once in awhile. And I always felt cool when he'd take me to school on it. He was always careful when he had a passenger, but on his own, he must have been reckless. He's gotten into countless wrecks we had to hear about, many requiring trips to the hospital and one requiring knee surgury years later. Then he got older and realized it wasn't worth it. And he forbid my brother from ever getting one, and never wanted me to ride on the back of one.

Now the closest thing I get to ride on is my husband's Yamaha Banshee 4-wheeler.

I had a Honda 350 when I was in High School. Lived in a semi-rural area then and I loved cruising around the country roads. I live in a more urban area now with very heavy traffic. The thought of riding a motorcycle on the streets of this city scares me.

+ Reply to thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

More at Cyburbia

1. Sturgis Motorcycle Rally
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 38
    Last post: 16 Aug 2012, 9:47 AM
  2. Cyburbia Angels (Motorcycle Thread)
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 37
    Last post: 17 Aug 2009, 8:16 PM
  3. Motorcycle Sales B-1 & B-2