Urban planning community | #theplannerlife

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: I hate Giant Eagle shopping carts

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries

I hate Giant Eagle shopping carts

A supermarket in my neighborhood, Giant Eagle, has two types of shopping carts; the normal long basket, and a tall, upright cart with two shelves on it. You use a normal cart for shopping, but after you purchase your groceries, the bagger transfers everything to one of the tall, upright carts, which you're supposed to use to take everything back to your car.

I hate these upright carts -- the rear axle is placed where it hits your foot or the bottom of your shin unless you're very, very careful when you push it. I have never seen another grocery store use this two-cart system; only the Giant Eagle in Legacy Village outside of Cleveland. What I'm wondering, though, is "what's the point?" Why have these special, awkward carts to take your bagged groceries out to your car? Why not just use your normal shopping cart to take your purchased products to your car? Are there any other stores that use this dual-cart system?
    Growth for growth's sake is the ideology of the cancer cell. -- Edward Abbey

Registered
    Sep 2001
    Never seen the ones you are describing.

I hate the carts that are designed around the custom made grocery box, that you are expected to purchase. Makes having a full cart a PITA.
    Too lazy to beat myself up for being to lazy to beat myself up for being too lazy to... well you get the point....

Quote Originally posted by Dan
    A supermarket in my neighborhood, Giant Eagle, has two types of shopping carts; the normal long basket, and a tall, upright cart with two shelves on it. You use a normal cart for shopping, but after you purchase your groceries, the bagger transfers everything to one of the tall, upright carts, which you're supposed to use to take everything back to your car.

I hate these upright carts -- the rear axle is placed where it hits your foot or the bottom of your shin unless you're very, very careful when you push it. I have never seen another grocery store use this two-cart system; only the Giant Eagle in Legacy Village outside of Cleveland. What I'm wondering, though, is "what's the point?" Why have these special, awkward carts to take your bagged groceries out to your car? Why not just use your normal shopping cart to take your purchased products to your car? Are there any other stores that use this dual-cart system?

I think it has to do with the carts being stolen. The ones you take out to your car are probably made out of a cheaper material that the thieves won't fk with.

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries
    Quote Originally posted by Super Amputee Cat
    I think it has to do with the carts being stolen. The ones you take out to your car are probably made out of a cheaper material that the thieves won't fk with.
    Nope. They're made out of the same material as the regular shopping carts; heavy, vinyl-coated steel. There's also no residential areas within walking distance of the store, except for a high-rise apartment building that is on top of a hill and some extended care facilities catering to little old Jewish ladies.

Registered
    Sep 1999
    You Yankees have strange customs...

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jan 2003
    I think I know the carts you're talking about, Dan. Just one question: Do the upright carts have wheels in the front? Anyways, I think I get your idea, some supermarket bagger boys use them, but those carts have no front wheels, so they lift the front to move it and also to avoid the groceries falling out. And I don't think they find it uncomfortable. So maybe you could try doing that
    1 minute MSPaint diagram:

That's what I'm talking about.

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries
    Quote Originally posted by SkeLeton

That's what I'm talking about.
    Exactly! However, the bag boys don't use those carts; you actually push them out to your car.

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    Dan -
    Is this a picture of the type of cart you talking about -
    http://premiercarts.com/images/New/Tech_5341.pdf

Registered
    Jul 1998
    I know its probably planner karma, but I hate the carts at one of the walmarts near me. The wheels and the floor are made of some certain substances that are designed to create as much static electricity as possible. Reach for any item and ZAP!!! Winter, summer, doesn't matter.
    “As soon as public service ceases to be the chief business of the citizens, and they would rather serve with their money than with their persons, the State is not far from its fall”
    Jean-Jacques Rousseau

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries
    Quote Originally posted by JNA
    Dan -
    Is this a picture of the type of cart you talking about -
    http://premiercarts.com/images/New/Tech_5341.pdf
    Linky no worky. I saw photos of the carts on the page, though, and the type of cart I'm talking about isn't pictured.

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Those are the same carts baggers use at commissaries across the U.S. and possibly world wide. At my local commissary, they used to let the customers take the regular grocery carts out to their cars, like if you went through the "fast" lane but had sodas or something else too heavy to carry. Policy changed June of last year and you now have to take the tall, two-shelf carts to your car and it is verbotten to take a regular cart. The stated reason is that taking normal carts out to the parking lot tracked lots of road grime into the store and they had very high wear and tear on the floors because of it. The two-shelf carts are restricted to a strip of floor between the cash registers and exits, so they don't track all that crap through the store.

Anyway, that is the reason here.

Cyburbian Emeritus Bear Up North's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003
    The baggers use similar carts at the local small grocery store, here in Swanton, OH. The big Kroger store about a block away just has regular carts.

Slightly-on-topic.....

Kroger is the big player in Toledo and NW Ohio, gathering well over 50% of the grocery business. Wally-Mart's in Toledo do not sell the full grocery line. Toledo has a number of Meijer stores and they are in 2nd place in the grocery race. Not sure where Giant Eagle is. Pretty low I believe.

Giant Eagle only has two (2) stores in the Toledo area. I can't figure out how they can effectively (cost effective) distribute to these stores. I think that their closest stores to here are one-hundred miles away, in metro Cleveland.

And even-more-off-topic.....

Carts and scanners have been developed that will scan your whole cart. Of course, after this machine scan the store will "give you" the bags to bag it yourself. Here comes the future.

Bear
    Occupy Cyburbia!

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries
    Quote Originally posted by Michele Zone
    The stated reason is that taking normal carts out to the parking lot tracked lots of road grime into the store and they had very high wear and tear on the floors because of it.
    That may just be it.

The foo-foo upscale Giant Eagle in Legacy Village has the two-cart system, while the merely slightly upscale one on Mayfield Road has just the normal one-cart system. However, both have the same type of flooring material; stone as you enter and throughout the produce department, some hardwood or Pergo flooring, and plastic tiles throughout the rest of the store.

Off-topic:
    Bear - no Meijer stores in Cleveland. There aren't even any Wal Mart Supercenters here, although Neighborhood Market is coming in 2006 or 2007. The two domiant supermarkets are Giant Eagle (a Pittsburgh chain) and Tops (from Buffalo; their stores in Cleveland are somewhat smaller than their bulked-up siblings in WNY). There's also Heinen's (local, usually in upper middle class areas), Dave's (local , usually in lower incoem areas) and Marc's (statewide, and very 1970s retro). Can't stand Heinen's, because they won't even let you take the cart to your car; you have to drive up to a loading area and have a bg boy/girl fill your trunk.

There's always rumors about Wegmans, but that chain is expanding to more affluent areas where they can get a better return from their dollar; Washington DC, Baltimore and New Jersey. Closest Weggies is in Erie, and some Clevelanders do make the drive.

Registered
    Nov 2002
    No comment about Giant Eagle (this is a company town when it comes to grocery stores after all ) other than that I have never seen those upright carts at any of their western PA stores.

Registered
    Apr 2003
    Somewhere between the mountains and the ocean.
    Just go shopping at a place that will bring everything out to our car for you!

We have a place called Hardings that has those types of carts, and the bag boys use them to bring everything out for you.
    If you're not growing, you're dying. - Lou Holtz

Registered
    Oct 2000
    Quote Originally posted by michaelskis
    Sigh. I don't know of a grocery store in upstate NY that does that anymore.

Makes me miss my South Carolina Publix! Boar's Head Deli Meat AND they carry out to the car for you!

Registered
    Nov 2002
    Quote Originally posted by Downtown
    Makes me miss my South Carolina Publix! Boar's Head Deli Meat AND they carry out to the car for you!
    No offence to you Yankees but what is with you’re apparent inability to have quality grocery stores up here. Most of the Giant Eagles and Shop ‘n Save’s I’ve been in have been kind of grub central. After all, it finally took a Southern based chain (Whole Foods) moving in here for us to get a decent place to shop. Where’s Publix, Harris Teeter, or even Bi-Lo when you need them.

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally posted by michaelskis

We have a place called Hardings that has those types of carts, and the bag boys use them to bring everything out for you.
    I like shopping at Hardings but I hate the whole grocery boy taking them out to your car thing. I always feel a pang of guilt for not tipping them - it's store policy that you not do so - and I realize I'm paying several cents more for that can of beans to pay for the service, but I still feel guilty. One time we had this 80 year old guy wheezing and coughing as he struggled to push the cart through the icy parking lot. I felt like I shoulda been helping him not the other way around.
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally posted by biscuit
    No offence to you Yankees but what is with you’re apparent inability to have quality grocery stores up here. Most of the Giant Eagles and Shop ‘n Save’s I’ve been in have been kind of grub central. After all, it finally took a Southern based chain (Whole Foods) moving in here for us to get a decent place to shop. Where’s Publix, Harris Teeter, or even Bi-Lo when you need them.
    Quality grocery stores down south? - HAH! When was last time you set foot in a Winn Dixie, Piggly Wiggly (love their logo), or Food Lion? 'Quality' you say?
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries
    Quote Originally posted by biscuit
    No offence to you Yankees but what is with you’re apparent inability to have quality grocery stores up here..
    Go to Buffalo, where you'll find massive Tops and Wegmans stores. You'll never see a Publix in the same light again. It's amazing that Buffalo has great supermarkets, considering the frugal, blue-collar attitudes of the population. Buffalo will be the very last city in the country that will see a Whole Foods or Trader Joe's outlet.

When I lived in Orlando, I wasn't impressed by the supermarkets there. Publix stores were nice and clean, but they weren't extraordinary; it was my preferred supermarket, but they certainly weren't someplace I could take an out-of-towner to impress them. Winn-Dixie was allright; good, clean but somewhat dowdy stores with a limited product selection. New Albertsons stores in Orlando were very similar to Giant Eagle stores in Cleveland; a bit more upscale than Publix, but also more expensive. No supermarkets in Orlando were open 24 hours, unlike just about every supermarket in Buffalo.

     
    Registered
    Jun 2004
    Wow I feel like I'm in the Twilight Zone, we dont have ANY of the grocery stores around here that have been mentioned in the thread with the exception of Shop 'n Save...we have only Schnucks, Dierberg's, Aldi's, Straubs...I have seen a Publix when I was in Florida over the summer and Albertsons when I lived in WY...all of these stores have "normal" shopping carts, I have never seen the two tier...

Registered
    Apr 2004
    Blog entries
    Safeway out here used to ask everytime you were there whether you needed help to your car or not. Even if you were getting one thing. I always wanted to get a can of soda and I pack of gum and then say, "Yes, help would be great"
    You get all squeezed up inside/Like the days were carved in stone/You get all wired up inside/And it's bad to be alone

You can go out, you can take a ride/And when you get out on your own/You get all smoothed out inside/And it's good to be alone
    -Peart

Registered
    May 2003
    I always get the shopping basket (that you carry) and then just carry the bags back to my apartment. 'don't know why a single person would need a cart.

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries
    Quote Originally posted by jordanb
    'don't know why a single person would need a cart.
    Because I don't do my shopping in dribs and drabs every day on the way home from work. I DRIVE TO THE SUPERMARKET on weekends or at night to do my shopping, and stock up.

     
    Registered
    Jun 2004
    Quote Originally posted by Dan
    Because I don't do my shopping in dribs and drabs every day on the way home from work. I DRIVE TO THE SUPERMARKET on weekends or at night to do my shopping, and stock up.
    I was gonna say, when I was single (eons ago, I dont mean S.O I mean children) I always used a shopping cart...I can't stand stopping by the store 3-4 times a week...now I can't even rememebr what it was like to shop for one, I know I would have a lot more money in the bank
    now I sometimes use two shopping carts , just kidding but I do see that in my furture, these boys eat so much damn food and they are only 3 and 7, both skinny as can be but little eaters!!

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 1
    Last post: 29 Mar 2009, 8:32 PM
  2. Hello from Eagle Heights
    Introduce Yourself
    Replies: 6
    Last post: 09 Jun 2008, 1:08 PM
  3. Replies: 1
    Last post: 11 Oct 2007, 1:08 PM
  4. Giant Noses