Urban planning community | #theplannerlife

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Detached lofts with yards

Unfrozen Caveman Planner mendelman's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003

Detached lofts with yards

Urban illusion on a suburban lot
    What began with something authentic, the converted downtown loft, has been slowly diluted into little more than a few symbolic, superficial elements.
    Captialism at it's finest.
    I'm sorry. Is my bias showing?

Every day is today. Yesterday is a myth and tomorrow an illusion.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    I heard about this about a year ago. Crazy, yet I know so many loft owners that are put off by poor construction of converted industrial buildings. One says she can even smell her neighbors' cigarette smoke and hear her conversations in full. This solves that issue, I guess.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    May 2003
    Quote Originally posted by Chet
    I heard about this about a year ago. Crazy, yet I know so many loft owners that are put off by poor construction of converted industrial buildings. One says she can even smell her neighbors' cigarette smoke and hear her conversations in full. This solves that issue, I guess.
    Some of this stems from the leading edge of many downtowns' condo boom. There was such pent up demand that people accepted crap at very high prices. What is starting to become commonplace are mature markets that look at more than just price as an indicator of quality. People know to ask about ventilation systems, noise issues, etc because people are becoming more educated about what to look for instead of looking at price as an indicator. This mature market raises the standards of the industry.

Registered
    Apr 2003
    Somewhere between the mountains and the ocean.
    I think that is a great idea. I would also suggest brining these up one more story, have zero lot line set backs, have several of them connected in a row, and put retail, coffee shops, or other similar business on the first floor!
    If you want different results in your life, you need to do different things than you have done in the past. Change is that simple.

Registered
    Jan 2005
    Wow. That is about as large a perversion of the idea of a loft as is possible to create, I think.

Michaelskis: Clever .
    Last edited by abrowne; 02 Mar 2005 at 1:57 PM.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 12
    Last post: 25 Sep 2012, 12:06 AM
  2. Land use: general Fenced or unfenced yards
    Land Use and Zoning
    Replies: 27
    Last post: 23 Nov 2010, 4:28 AM
  3. Fenced back yards in Texas
    Design, Space, and Place
    Replies: 13
    Last post: 15 Jun 2009, 11:42 AM