Urban planning community | #theplannerlife

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Would this save the NHL?

Registered
    Dec 2003

Would this save the NHL?

TORONTO (AP) -- An investment firm and a sports advisory company reportedly made a joint proposal to buy all 30 NHL teams for as much as $3.5 billion.

Entire story here

Seems to me that it couldn't be any worse than the current bunch of free-spending idiots who don't seem to realize their sport is less popular in the US than bowling. What do the rest of you Puckhead Cyburbanites think?

Registered
    Apr 2003
    Somewhere between the mountains and the ocean.
    If one company "owned" all the teams, then it would also "own" the game? On the other hand, maybe it would be a good thing because they would balance out the teams a bit better, and make the game more competitive.
    If you're not growing, you're dying. - Lou Holtz

Registered
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally posted by michaelskis
    If one company "owned" all the teams, then it would also "own" the game? On the other hand, maybe it would be a good thing because they would balance out the teams a bit better, and make the game more competitive.
    I still think that a 'promotion/relegation' setup as with English football (like was discussed in here a couple of weeks ago) would be best for hockey.

Mike

Registered
    Jun 2004
    I don't think it would be any worse then pro-wrestling.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Sep 2004
    If they do it right I think it could be a great thing, but if they try to make everything to homogeneous then people who are attached to a team may not feel like the "connection" is there anymore. The NFL runs kind of like this by making owners meet certain criteria.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Feb 2005
    Quote Originally posted by Planner22
    If they do it right I think it could be a great thing, but if they try to make everything to homogeneous then people who are attached to a team may not feel like the "connection" is there anymore. The NFL runs kind of like this by making owners meet certain criteria.
    IMO I think the public is becoming disenchanted with the NHL. I believe that lacrosse will move into the void the cancelled season has created. Did anyone see the NLL all-star game on television this past weekend? The first time I've ever seen an indoor game on television. With an established indoor league and a fairly new outdoor league in the MLL, I think lacrosse is on the cusp of becoming a hugely popular sport throughout the country and not only on the east coast. I for one would love to see it break through, although college lacrosse will always be my favorite.

Any thoughts?

Registered
    Apr 2004
    Blog entries
    Quote Originally posted by DevFan
    IMO I think the public is becoming disenchanted with the NHL. I believe that lacrosse will move into the void the cancelled season has created. Did anyone see the NLL all-star game on television this past weekend? The first time I've ever seen an indoor game on television. With an established indoor league and a fairly new outdoor league in the MLL, I think lacrosse is on the cusp of becoming a hugely popular sport throughout the country and not only on the east coast. I for one would love to see it break through, although college lacrosse will always be my favorite.

Any thoughts?

I don't think it will become too popular. I think it will thrive with its currnt fan base, but unless you're in New England or Canada, I think it'll get as high in popularity as arena football.
    A fun game to go to, but not fun to watch on TV.
    You get all squeezed up inside/Like the days were carved in stone/You get all wired up inside/And it's bad to be alone

You can go out, you can take a ride/And when you get out on your own/You get all smoothed out inside/And it's good to be alone
    -Peart

Registered
    Dec 2003
    Quote Originally posted by Planner22
    That's what I'm thinking. There needs to be a better revenue-sharing agreement between owners (like the NFL), in particular to address the Canadian team's disadvantages. This has worked wonders for the NFL. Also, the owners need to live within their means.

Registered
    Oct 2001
    Screw the NHL... Go support your local IHL, AHL, or Junior team!
    -----------------------------------------------------------------
    C'mon and get me you twist of fate
    I'm standing right here Mr. Destiny
    If you want to talk well then I'll relate
    If you don't so what cause you don't scare me

Registered
    Apr 2004
    Blog entries
    IHL is gone isn't it?

We have the Central Hockey League here, and WCHA.

I do miss the NHL though and I do wish it would come back...
    You get all squeezed up inside/Like the days were carved in stone/You get all wired up inside/And it's bad to be alone

You can go out, you can take a ride/And when you get out on your own/You get all smoothed out inside/And it's good to be alone
    -Peart

Registered
    Oct 2001
    Quote Originally posted by zmanPLAN
    IHL is gone isn't it?

We have the Central Hockey League here, and WCHA.

I do miss the NHL though and I do wish it would come back...
    Well, my point is that you don't have to have the NHL to have hockey. It doesn't matter if you think the owners are greedy, the players are big babies, or both... together they are ruining the league.

Registered
    Apr 2004
    Quote Originally posted by Mastiff
    I completely agree. Go Rochester Americans!! Rochester was kind enough to lend us the Amerks for two games so far this year and they just announced 2 more, and the best part is I got tix for both in the most expensive seating areas for $20 a piece! Got to love it!

maudit anglais
    Registered
    May 1997
    Puck bunnies are more than welcome to support my rec league. PM me for details

Registered
    Dec 2003
    Sounds good, except for one thing. Quality of the game. Portland has had a great junior team that I've supported for 25 years (first major junior team in the US, in fact), but NHL-caliber hockey, it ain't.

I want to see the best hockey players in the world, playing at the top of their games, if not in the NHL, then in a new league.

Registered
    Oct 2001
    Quote Originally posted by thestip
    I completely agree. Go Rochester Americans!! Rochester was kind enough to lend us the Amerks for two games so far this year and they just announced 2 more, and the best part is I got tix for both in the most expensive seating areas for $20 a piece! Got to love it!

http://en.rbkhockey.com/community/promonights/

These folks were giving away tickets for a certain games... I think Rochester was on the list.

Registered
    Oct 2001
    Quote Originally posted by nuovorecord
    Sounds good, except for one thing. Quality of the game. Portland has had a great junior team that I've supported for 25 years (first major junior team in the US, in fact), but NHL-caliber hockey, it ain't.

I want to see the best hockey players in the world, playing at the top of their games, if not in the NHL, then in a new league.
    If you want to see the best players at the top of their games... I think the neutral zone trap has to go.

Registered
    Dec 2003
    If you want to see the best players at the top of their games... I think the neutral zone trap has to go.
    Yep, as well as enforcing the clutching and holding rules more. And get rid of the instigator penalty. Let the enforcers do their jobs and there would be so much head hunting IMO.

Registered
    Apr 2004
    Blog entries
    Well, my point is that you don't have to have the NHL to have hockey. It doesn't matter if you think the owners are greedy, the players are big babies, or both... together they are ruining the league.

I agree, I am enjoying the rare Eagles (CHL) game they televise here, or the Friday night (Hey that's tonite!) WCHA game. But it would be nice to see hockey at the NHL level again, whether it is the greedy NHL or something new.

-Peart

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Save the CFFL
    Fantasy Football
    Replies: 10
    Last post: 25 Aug 2011, 5:31 PM
  2. Replies: 19
    Last post: 16 Oct 2008, 8:25 PM
  3. What would you save?
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 19