Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Jeans

Registered
    Sep 2001

Jeans

Almost everyone owns a pair and wears them frequently, from Lee's, Levis, GWG's, Wranglers , no name el cheapos to crazy expensive ultra designer jeans from paperdenim and seven. What do you wear and why?

Me, until recently I was a devout 501 wearer. Then last year I was coaxed into buying a pair of ultra expensive jeans. I now need another pair of jeans and have tried to go back to 501'a but they don't fit as well as or feel as nice to the skin as the ultra expensive jeans I have. The dilemma, it seems obscene to spend as much on jeans as on good dress pants. But I wear jeans everyday, should they not be fashionable and nice also?
    Too lazy to beat myself up for being to lazy to beat myself up for being too lazy to... well you get the point....

maudit anglais
    Registered
    May 1997
    I don't have a good pair of jeans at the moment. I have a pair of old Eddie Bauer jeans that are used for renovation/yard work. I think my next pair of jeans will be a pair of "hempop" from Mountain Equipment Co-op - they're made with a combination of hemp and recycled plastic pop (soda) bottles.

I keep putting off the purchase 'cause I keep telling myself I WILL lose that 10 pounds...

     
    Registered
    Jun 2004
    Quote Originally posted by donk
    Almost everyone owns a pair and wears them frequently, from Lee's, Levis, GWG's, Wranglers , no name el cheapos to crazy expensive ultra designer jeans from paperdenim and seven. What do you wear and why?

Me, until recently I was a devout 501 wearer. Then last year I was coaxed into buying a pair of ultra expensive jeans. I now need another pair of jeans and have tried to go back to 501'a but they don't fit as well as or feel as nice to the skin as the ultra expensive jeans I have. The dilemma, it seems obscene to spend as much on jeans as on good dress pants. But I wear jeans everyday, should they not be fashionable and nice also?
    Spend the money on the jeans!! If you wear them all the time it is worth it and yes they fit MUCH better. I wear Lucky's or 7's. And I have a few pairs of American Eagles that fit great and arent nearly the cost of my favorites (they are only around 50$ compared to the $150-175)...yes, your jeans should be fashionable as well as nice!
    Last edited by Tranplanner; 02 Mar 2005 at 1:05 PM. Reason: fixed quote tag

moderator in moderation Suburb Repairman's avatar
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    I have different grades of jeans for different purposes. I've got a couple of pairs of expensive jeans for going out, but I also have my old, faded Levi's for when I'm doing stuff. After I got my expensive jeans, I found that I really hated my other ones because they fit so much better.

"Oh, that is all well and good, but, voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. It works the same way in any country."

- Herman Göring at the Nuremburg trials (thoughts on democracy)

Registered
    Jan 2005
    I have about 8 pair of the same jeans from the Gap. Some look new some look worn. I always buy the same kind because I like the way they fit (and look )

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jan 2003
    I got jeans...sure.. now will I buy some expensive ones? What for? it's just jeans! I just stick with what's comfortable enough and cheap enough.... So wrangler's it is!

Registered
    Feb 2004
    I have a pair of American Eagle jeans and a pair from H&M. Comfortable enough but they seem a bit too long. Either I have odd proportions or very popular ones that the shops are always out of.

Registered
    Jul 2002
    Quote Originally posted by Future Planner
    I have about 8 pair of the same jeans from the Gap. Some look new some look worn. I always buy the same kind because I like the way they fit (and look )
    I buy most of my jeans @ the GAP also. They have a variety of styles and LENGTHS (great news for us "shorties") so I can always find a pair that I like.

I have a pair of Levi 501s that are my dress jeans and a pair of Gap carpenter jeans that are my favorites. Very soft and loose in the right places (remember, I'm married in my mid-40s: tight clothing is fer yous young'uns ) and the various paint stains and embedded soiling make them perfect for work around the house.

$175 jeans? Not on my salary.
    Je suis Charlie

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Blog entries
    I own one pair of jeans. Relaxed-fit light blue jeans that I bought for $3 at the Salvation Army Thrift Store. Never have been a fan of jeans. Always found the material too stiff and uncomfortable around the back of the knees.
    "I am very good at reading women, but I get into trouble for using the Braille method."

~ Otterpop ~

Forums Administrator & Gallery Moderator NHPlanner's avatar
    Registered
    Apr 1996
    no expensive jeans here. When I do buy them, I get them at discount places like TJ Maxx, Marshalls, or Burlington Coat Factory.....can get $50 jeans for about 10-20 bucks most times.
    "Growth is inevitable and desirable, but destruction of community character is not. The question is not whether your part of the world is going to change. The question is how." -- Edward T. McMahon, The Conservation Fund

Registered
    Sep 2001
    one of the problems with The Gap/AE and even Levis to a laesser exetent is that they are not made in either Canada or the US. At least the designer jeans are.

I do have different levels of jeans also, from trailbuilding/house renovating ones, covered in paint and stained with dirt and blood. To hanging out ones ("fat" 501's 38's while I'm a 34 now and maybe a 32) and "dress" jeans (seven for all mankind).

I am thinking I need another pair of "dress" jeans. But spending $200 on a pair right now would seriously hurt the budget.
    Too lazy to beat myself up for being to lazy to beat myself up for being too lazy to... well you get the point....

Registered
    Dec 1998
    I'm not really into jeans. I'm the only one in my office who doesn't wear jeans on Friday. I do wear denim jackets, skirts and denim trousers (like dressy pants), but no jeans.
    "A witty woman is a treasure, a witty beauty is a power!"

Registered
    Apr 2003
    I hate spending more than $30 on a pair of jeans. I do have a pair of American Eagle that fits great, any my ex said looks great on me. (She convinced me to buy them by mentioning that a particular body part looks great in them) The new GF has commented that she likes them too. So, next pair will be AE.
    "A long habit of not thinking a thing wrong, gives it a superficial appearance of being right, and raises at first a formidable outcry in defense of custom. Time makes more converts than reason." - Thomas Paine Common Sense.

Registered
    Dec 2001
    Quote Originally posted by michaelskis
    I hate spending more than $30 on a pair of jeans. I do have a pair of American Eagle that fits great, any my ex said looks great on me. (She convinced me to buy them by mentioning that a particular body part looks great in them) The new GF has commented that she likes them too. So, next pair will be AE.
    I hate spending more than $10 for jeans.. so it's clearance rack at Kohls for me! I've found some rather stylish and exceptionally marked down jeans there. When I'm pulling in a household income above median income for my area, I'll consider upgrading!
    Dude, I'm cheesing so hard right now.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Sep 2004
    Oh expensive jeans are a must for me. I used to wear the el cheapo's before i got to college and now will never go back. My fav's are Lucky, Mavi, JCrew, and FCUK.

Registered
    Aug 2004
    I own two pair - one that I refuse to wear outside except in the backyard, behind the fence, where no one will see me. I use them for gardening/outside stuff, and my husband laughs at me in them.
    The other I'll wear out and about.

Both are Talbot's brand, bought about 3 years apart. The first pair went on a couple of hiking trips, and now aren't fit to be seen in public. I'm tempted to cut them off into shorts for the summer, but that still won't hide the tears where the back pocket used to be . . .
    Last edited by Salmissra; 02 Mar 2005 at 5:53 PM.
    "We do not need any other Tutankhamun's tomb with all its treasures. We need context. We need understanding. We need knowledge of historical events to tie them together. We don't know much. Of course we know a lot, but it is context that's missing, not treasures." - Werner Herzog, in Archaeology, March/April 2011

Registered
    Sep 1999
    Being on the real short side, it's hard to find jeans that fit, and the selections are much more limited than for "regular" height women. Gap and Old Navy have jeans that fit me well, as do the Burdine/Macys store brand. But I have also been known to wear $10 jeans from Wal-Mart. Yes, Wal-Mart!

Registered
    Jun 2003
    Went forever without wearing jeans on casual friday (10+ yrs)
    BTW I did not own a pair
    So, in our office Christmas gift exchange I got a pair of Old Navy.
    very nice.
    Oddball
    Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves?
    Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
    Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
    From Kelly's Heroes (1970)

Are you sure you're not hurt ?
    No. Just some parts wake up faster than others.
    Broke parts take a little longer, though.
    From Electric Horseman (1979)

Registered
    Jul 2003
    I did not own a pair of pants until I was 7 and did not own a pair of jeans until I was 12 (my sister was 17 when she got her first of pair of jeans -- our parents are rather conservative: girls dress nice and purty). To this day, I am not a big fan of jeans. I have a pair of brown jeans and some years back I had some black jeans. But I think it has been many years since I owned any blue jeans. My one pair of jeans is getting a tad worn and I am down two pair of pants recently. I will have to start wearing more skirts, because that is what I happen to own.

     
    Registered
    Jun 2004
    Quote Originally posted by donk
    one of the problems with The Gap/AE and even Levis to a laesser exetent is that they are not made in either Canada or the US. At least the designer jeans are.

I do have different levels of jeans also, from trailbuilding/house renovating ones, covered in paint and stained with dirt and blood. To hanging out ones ("fat" 501's 38's while I'm a 34 now and maybe a 32) and "dress" jeans (seven for all mankind).

I am thinking I need another pair of "dress" jeans. But spending $200 on a pair right now would seriously hurt the budget.
    Check EBay, Sevens and all other designer jeans are all over for a little less. They are still around 100$ or so but sometimes you can find them even less. We have a Saks outlet here, they have them for less also...they are a must

Registered
    Nov 2002
    I've never owned a pair of expenseive jeans. I wouldn't even know where to get them. If I never try them, I'll never know how wonderful they are.

I have a harder time finding khakis or dress pants that fit because I'm skinny and they all fit like parachute pants. I barely make it into the men's department especially as America's waistline expands.

Registered
    Sep 2001
    Quote Originally posted by Jaxspra
    We have a Saks outlet here, they have them for less also...they are a must
    You sound like the women that coaxed me into the sevens to begin with, then again you are a member of the "tribe".

Also in the book "I am Charlotte Simmons" Wolfe has a Diesel jeans fixation and describes how they make bums look repeatedly and how Charlotte spends half her semester allowance to buy a pair.

Registered
    Jul 2002
    I am partial to Lee jeans. Amazing how they go up in price by about $20 a year!

Registered
    Apr 2004
    Blog entries
    I have a mix of types of jeans. I used to be all Gap, but I found some Ralph Laurens and I love them, (but too expensive)

I found some cheap ones that look good and fit well.

I have "soccer thighs" (part of my Hungarian traits I guess) and cannot fit into Levi's comfortably.
    You get all squeezed up inside/Like the days were carved in stone/You get all wired up inside/And it's bad to be alone

You can go out, you can take a ride/And when you get out on your own/You get all smoothed out inside/And it's good to be alone
    -Peart

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. Are sweatpants the new jeans?
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 27
    Last post: 18 Dec 2012, 9:15 AM
  2. TS needs jeans help
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 27
    Last post: 16 Dec 2012, 8:06 PM