Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Meetings, meetings and MORE meetings

     
    Registered
    Jun 2004

Meetings, meetings and MORE meetings

So how many meeting do you typically have in one week (in my case one day ) and do you really get anything accomplished?? It just seems to me a lot can be accomplished over the phone or via email. Around here a meeting is called for everything AND for the hundreds of boards/commissions we have.

So, my question(s) are: How many meetings do you have in a typical week and how many boards are you responsible for?

Registered
    Apr 2004
    Blog entries
    I had a three hour meeting this morning, just got out of a one hour meeting, and I am going home.... but coming back for a neighborhood meeting at 6:30.

It all depends on what is going on, whether I have any meetings or not. When our office was short-staffed, our manager had to juggle development review (something only we drones take care of) and meetings. THAT was tough.

But I do subscribe to the school of "If we weren't in so many meetings, we could actually get work done"
    You get all squeezed up inside/Like the days were carved in stone/You get all wired up inside/And it's bad to be alone

You can go out, you can take a ride/And when you get out on your own/You get all smoothed out inside/And it's good to be alone
    -Peart

I just had a 3 o'clock, 4 o'clock, and am about to set out for my 5 o'clock. This is not necessarily typical, but my meetings do seem to all culminate in one or two days during the week. Very stressful.

Registered
    Jul 2002
    I'm still relatively new to local govt, and am starting to get used to the number of meetings my job requires... I only have 6 meetings scheduled this week, but it's not unusual to have 3 or 4 per day.

The majority are productive, but the odd one is just a waste of time.

Registered
    Jul 2002
    I haven't been on here much lately because of the number of meetings and the work I have to do. Imagine that!

For the last six weeks or so, I've been doing 2-3 meetings daily, with lots of prep time between them, and usually 2-3 evening or weekend meetings. This week is the first for me since mid-January with no evening meetings.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Three or four every day is the norm, and the count can go up to seven or eight. I was talking with my counterpart at the chamber of commerce today. He has the same problem. There is simply no time to do anything. We are always in meetings.
    Anyone want to adopt a dog?

Forums Administrator & Gallery Moderator NHPlanner's avatar
    Registered
    Apr 1996
    2-3 per day, plus 2-4 night meetings in the first couple of weeks of every month.
    "Growth is inevitable and desirable, but destruction of community character is not. The question is not whether your part of the world is going to change. The question is how." -- Edward T. McMahon, The Conservation Fund

Registered
    Sep 1999
    Luckily, my current position only involves 6-8 meetings per week, plus one night meeting a month.

Registered
    May 1997
    My return to the public sector has made it cIear that productivity is not actually a goal, even in a reasonably well-managed local government.

I don't have as many day meetings as many of you because my zoning admin. is soaking up the current planning pressures. But the number of evening meetings required to do a good job of updating a comp plan is hard to keep up with a small staff: I often have three a week and have had four. I can get to them, but I don't have time to prepare for all of them.

Registered
    Dec 2001
    I'm in the neighborhood of 2-4 a week. each usually lasting 1-3 hours.

The real killer for me is after these lovely meetings, I'm on counter/phone duties. So it's 15-25 phone calls per day, and 10-20 counter calls.
    Dude, I'm cheesing so hard right now.

Registered
    Apr 2004
    Blog entries
    I only thought this was fitting in the meetings thread....

[VENT ON]
    Still feeling the affects of my meeting last night. Nothing like residents still harping on three-year-old density issues.
    -Oh and these guys seem to be afraid of the $250k townhome development next to them... I guess they think people living in townhomes are poor, trashy people that would love nothing better than driving fast through the streets of their neighborhood to access the main road.
    -And the single family homes, cannot be less than the 3700 square foot homes they live in.
    -Property values are big with these people, as well as the 500 house development to the west... I cannot wait until the property to the north gets started

-Oh and I LOVE IT when they ask me questions about traffic, power, and storm drainage.... and then nudge their neighbor saying "See, he doesn't know that either...HA HA HA HA!"

-Bunch of &*^*&&%$&)__)(*^$#%$##$#%^%%^&^&*^
    [VENT OFF]
    You get all squeezed up inside/Like the days were carved in stone/You get all wired up inside/And it's bad to be alone

You can go out, you can take a ride/And when you get out on your own/You get all smoothed out inside/And it's good to be alone
    -Peart

Cyburbian Emeritus Bear Up North's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003
    Usually have about ten (10) meetings a week. These include regularly-scheduled daily production update meetings that I try to attend.

I don't mind all of these meetings if they are productive, address an issue, present solutions. Sometimes, though, meetings get high-jacked by somebody with an "agenda" that may not be the topic we want to go in to.

When it is a meeting that I called I always have an AGENDA, and stick to it religiously. It bugs me when some people call meetings and are ill-prepared, with no AGENDA.

Bear Looking At An Attainment Graph
    Occupy Cyburbia!

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Technology Virtual meetings?
    Information Technology
    Replies: 1
    Last post: 01 Aug 2011, 8:28 AM
  2. Greenhouse Meetings...
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 3
    Last post: 17 Aug 2009, 5:26 PM