Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Average Household Income

Registered
    Sep 2001

Average Household Income

This interesting article is in Toronto Life magazine this week. Note TL is a bit rashy and does not have the highest journalistic standards, but is somewhat interesting.

Based on the discussions related to jeans, I assume most of use live below the average household incomes for our locations. if things continue as they have this year for me I'll earn less than 25% of TO's average and live on about a 1/3.
    Too lazy to beat myself up for being to lazy to beat myself up for being too lazy to... well you get the point....

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Feb 2005
    Wow they seem to be paying much higher property taxes up there than we do in the States

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries
    I live below the household income of my city, but that's mainly because I live alone. With no second income, housing and utility costs consume a larger portion of my income than with other households in the area.

Property tax varies greatly from state to state. It doesn't seem higher than what I'm paying here.

Could this be the Guapo family after they relocate to the Great White North?
    Growth for growth's sake is the ideology of the cancer cell. -- Edward Abbey

Registered
    Dec 2003
    Quote Originally posted by Dan
    Could this be the Guapo family after they relocate to the Great White North?
    Keith: “We’re definitely a no-frills family. We don’t have a TV.
    Are they going to adopt jordanb
    A guy once told me, "Do not have any attachments, do not have anything in your life you are not willing to walk out on in 30 seconds flat if you spot the heat around the corner."

Neil McCauley (Robert DeNiro): Heat 1995

maudit anglais
    Registered
    May 1997
    I have a few issues with that article - it was my understanding that the average household (family) income for Toronto is actually around 60k a year, not 76k.

I would meet TL's average (and more) if Mrs. Tranplanner was working.

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries
    Keith: “We’re definitely a no-frills family. We don’t have a TV.
    No frills, but they do find the money for:

$1,500 a year on African dance and drumming classes for five of the kids; $1,336 a year for hip hop classes for three of the kids.
    I'm liberal, but I'm a rank amateur compared to these guys. Besides, aren't there free classes out there?
    Growth for growth's sake is the ideology of the cancer cell. -- Edward Abbey

Registered
    Aug 2001
    I am above the average, but I seem to chose to life in working class areas.

Registered
    Sep 2001
    Quote Originally posted by Dan
    I'm liberal, but I'm a rank amateur compared to these guys. Besides, aren't there free classes out there?
    This family would be in my neighbourhood. They are probably very equity rich right now considering houses of that size are going for nearly 500K. it is a weird mixed class neighbourhood, as are most except for a few in TO.

I really need to get a digital camera and snap some shots of the nice parts of TO for you all.

Guess I need to edit my post now, with teh new job I am still below the household average, but if I had a Mrs making what I will be we'd be doing very well.

Checked Stats Can data and both TP and the author are correct for 2001. The joy of stats.

For the Toronto Census Metropolitan Area.

Median family income ($) - All census families (51) 63,700
    Median family income ($) - Couple families (52) 70,079
    Median family income ($) - Lone-parent families 36,426

For the City proper

Median family income ($) - All census families (51) 54,399
    Median family income ($) - Couple families (52) 61,092
    Median family income ($) - Lone-parent families 32,920
    Too lazy to beat myself up for being to lazy to beat myself up for being too lazy to... well you get the point....

Unfrozen Caveman Planner mendelman's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003
    My household is jsut a hair over the median income for Metro Chicago, but we are currently only single income with lots (and more to come) student debt, but very little to nil consumer debt. It's Ok for now, but buying a house is very difficult (decent houses in decent neighborhoods are at least 4-times my income)
    I'm sorry. Is my bias showing?

Let's not be didactic in this profession, because that is a path to disillusion and irrelevancy.

Six seasons and a movie!

Registered
    Aug 2001
    The median household income in the city I work for was $74,848 according to the 2001 census. Our household exceeds this. I think my standard of living is fairly good in Edmonton, although costs of household goods (groceries/produce, etc.) raises the cost of living quite a bit from what I'm used to. Not to mention the taxes... grrr.

Registered
    Nov 2003
    The median household income for Baltimore City is around $32,500. The Mrs. and I make way over that. With no kids, we get taxed the hell out of us.
    I am recognizing that the voice inside my head
    is urging me to be myself but never follow someone else
    Because opinions are like voices we all have a different kind". --Q-Tip

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Household water use
    Environmental Planning
    Replies: 13
    Last post: 02 Jul 2013, 10:41 AM
  2. Replies: 17
    Last post: 16 Jun 2012, 12:08 AM
  3. Household redundancy