Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Solar shading

Registered
    Feb 2005

Solar shading

Dear Architectural/Planning community,

I am currently writing on my Master Thesis for a European Company that is interested in breaking into the American Market with an interesting architectural product. The product is a exterior mounted motorizied solar shading system (architectural louvres) designed primarily for commercial applications. In Europe this sort of system is relatively widespread and is seen in some very famous objects. The application also allows for mounting of PV panels onto facades and has an evironmentally positive effect upon the interior office climate. What I would like to know is the general acceptance within the architectural community of such a system and any information about current projects employing such a system within the USA.Any help/guidance would be appreciated. I thank you for any help.

John in Germany

Registered
    Apr 2002
    I'm having trouble visualizing what you're talking about. Are there louvres shades that scroll down over the outside of commercial windows? Or, do they extend out? Maybe it would be helpful if you posted a picture or a link to what you're talking about?

Registered
    Aug 2001
    This is the kind of idea my community embraces. We have disproportionately large number of architectural firms with international clientele. Several of our local companies make architectural products for green building, and we have others in renewable enrgy. Send me a private message if you want to talk it over.
    Anyone want to adopt a dog?

Registered
    Feb 2005
    Quote Originally posted by jonconsean
    Dear Architectural/Planning community,

I am currently writing on my Master Thesis for a European Company that is interested in breaking into the American Market with an interesting architectural product. The product is a exterior mounted motorizied solar shading system (architectural louvres) designed primarily for commercial applications. In Europe this sort of system is relatively widespread and is seen in some very famous objects. The application also allows for mounting of PV panels onto facades and has an evironmentally positive effect upon the interior office climate. What I would like to know is the general acceptance within the architectural community of such a system and any information about current projects employing such a system within the USA.Any help/guidance would be appreciated. I thank you for any help.

John in Germany
    Take a look at www.usgbc.org if you are looking for a starting place to learn more about green buildings in the U.S. Also, I am blanking on the name now, but there is a free green building industry magazine catering to architects that is full of ads for green building supply vendors. An ad in such a magazine would be a good start for entering the market here.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Geothermal, Solar, & Wind. OH MY!
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 11
    Last post: 07 Dec 2011, 1:52 PM
  2. Replies: 6
    Last post: 21 Apr 2011, 8:45 AM
  3. Solar access easements
    Land Use and Zoning
    Replies: 3
    Last post: 06 Jul 2009, 9:01 AM