Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Haunted Places

Registered
    Jul 2002

Haunted Places

I was doing some searching on the internet and came across this Haunted Places website.

Very interesting some of the places in My Fair City that are reported to be haunted.

I have never encourntered and strange things, yet.

Check out the website and see what places in your city are "HAUNTED"

moderator in moderation Suburb Repairman's avatar
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    I took a haunting tour of San Antonio last Halloween that was really fun. San Antonio is supposedly second only to New Orleans for paranormal activity. The haunted Emily Morgan Hotel supposedly has a waiting list to stay in one of the rooms that has heavy haunting activity. If your city offers one of these tours, I strongly suggest going on it. It's also a good way to learn some history about your city.

"Oh, that is all well and good, but, voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. It works the same way in any country."

- Herman Göring at the Nuremburg trials (thoughts on democracy)

Registered
    Apr 2003
    Someplace between yesterday and tomorrow.
    The one about the music building at Northern Michigan University is true. I had some music classes my first few years there, one of them was late on Thursday night, and it was not uncommon for a bunch of us to be talking and standing in the lower level by the office, and the Elevator doors would open, and a cold chill would flow down the hallway.

I also know someone who live on the 1st floor of Spooner Hall that quit school because she saw the ghost of a college age guy sitting in the corner of her front room right next to the door. (it is the 2nd oldest building on campus, and half the building is made up of double rooms, one acts as a living room, and one as a bed room, but both have doors into the hallway) I was working at the front desk, hanging out with a few people, and heard someone screaming. The resident director ran out of her room along with the Resident Advisor, right to her room, and she came out the other door in a complete panic. And told us what she saw. We all went in, the floor in the corner had frost on part of the wall. But it was on the opposite side of the room as the window.
    Not my monkey, not my circus. - Old Polish Proverb

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    My fair city is on the list.
    and places / stories I knew of in NJ and CO also.
    Oddball
    Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves?
    Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
    Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
    From Kelly's Heroes (1970)

Are you sure you're not hurt ?
    No. Just some parts wake up faster than others.
    Broke parts take a little longer, though.
    From Electric Horseman (1979)

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jan 2003
    Nutley - Park Pub Restaurant - When the restaurant is closed, the staff has seen two figures dancing on the main dance floor.

NUTLEY - OLD CANAL INN - ITS A BAR/RESTAURANT WHICH IS WELL OVER 100 YEARS OLD IN THE TIME OF ITS EXISTENCE 2 MEN HAVE DROPPED DEAD SITTING IN THE SAME BAR STOOL. ITS STILL THERE TODAY BUT ALL THE LOCALS KNOW BETTER THAN SIT THERE. SOME SYA YOU CAN FEEL YOURSELF BEING DRAWN TO THE CHAIR LATE AT NIGHT.
    I never knew that.... well... it's not like a 7 year old can get anywhere without their parents...

Registered
    Apr 2004
    Blog entries
    I haven't had the chance to read all of Colorado's, but both my high school and college were on there. Including my dorm. UNC stories The One may be interested in.
    You get all squeezed up inside/Like the days were carved in stone/You get all wired up inside/And it's bad to be alone

You can go out, you can take a ride/And when you get out on your own/You get all smoothed out inside/And it's good to be alone
    -Peart

Registered
    Sep 1999
    It lists a major roadway near here, where an Indian warrior in a loin cloth crosses the road and disappears. And a bunch of listings for the small town I used to live in. Interesting. I've heard some of these before, but not all.

Registered
    Apr 2003
    HMMMM I wonder...
    Wyomissing - Penn State Berks - There was a suicide each year for the first seven years that the school had dorms. The school is located directly across from the Tulepehocken Bridge haunting you have listed in your site and is directly next to Reading which is said to be the most demonic place on the east coast and for awhile held the country's highest suicide rating. Students, including myself, have heard footsteps and unusual behavior such as, doors slamming, feelings of uneasiness and sightings of a male student who committed suicide on the campus.
    I knew I never liked that city.

Registered
    Jul 2002
    Chilton, WI - Wal-Mart - since opening in september of 1996, 3rd shift workers have reported unexplained phenomenon. Merchandise flying off the shelves, stereos turning on or changing channels by themselves, trails of muddy footprints that appear on clean floors, to numerous unexplained electrical problems with the security system mainly reporting movement when the store was totally empty of people. There have been reports of cold spots, mysterious mists or fogs in the building, and many cases of workers feeling that someone was standing behind them and even seeing shadows behind them and turning and no one is there. There have been a few sightings of a black human form seen walking through the store, sometimes right through displays. The store was built on an old homestead that had on it a family cemetary. They moved the bodies when they built the store, but they say that some of the older graves were unmarked and that they missed some of them, thus the haunting of the store by restless spirits.
    Sam's Law in 8 posts

Registered
    Apr 2003

Bump in the night...

What is it with people thinking that just because a place is old, it is haunted? My house is 122 years old and we don't think that it is haunted. Several of the other houses in the neighborhood, well, that is a different story. Oh, and these too...

However the City Hall for one of my client communities... very haunted. There have been more than a few times where it is a late night after a meeting and I will be the only one in the building, but will hear someone walking around. We also noticed things will not work from time to time... like radios, computers, cell phones, and fans.

The dorm hall that I lived in during my junior year of college was also hunted. Not too surprised given that there are at least 4 documented deaths of students and one professor that happened in that building.

Do you know of haunted places near you.

Registered
    Jul 2009
    Quote Originally posted by michaelskis View post

I lived in one in Bavaria, the foundation of the building was laid in 1848. I had two other friends in two different nearby towns who lived in houses that were 'haunted' too. My ghosts didn't scare me on purpose, they were just going about 'remembering' their lives, every once in a while one of their parties would wake me.
    -------
    Give a man a gun, and he can rob a bank. Give a man a bank, and he can rob the world.

Registered
    Dec 2008
    Quote Originally posted by michaelskis View post

My house. I lived in the neighborhood before moving to this house and knew the owner. His wife Eileen died unexpectedly in the house. He moved on, rented it for a few years and then we took it. Eileen was timid and depressed. She once called my wife from the closet of the master bedroom. She said she only talked on the phone in the closet so nobody would hear her.

Our phone goes missing a lot and turns up in the closet. It ghost rings often as well. No caller ID, one ring, nothing else. My kids are convinced it's Eileen. Sometimes when we come home, the blinds will be shut when we're sure we left them open.

The biggest thing that made me really wonder was once during a family party. We had all the cousins up, and they can be kind of loud and obnoxious. As the kids got louder, I was walking past the master bedroom when the double door there abruptly swung shut. It was locked. Nobody was in the bedroom. I had to jimmy it open with a rat-tail comb. It was a little weird, I have to admit.
    "...I would never try to tick Hink off. He kinda intimidates me. He's quite butch, you know." - Maister

Registered
    Jul 2007
    that's creepy urusus

I have never had an experience, but when I was little I used to to "talk" to my grandmother who passed away when I was 3 months old. Oddly enough, my cousin, also the oldest girl, did the same thing. I never told anyone about it until her mother, my aunt, mentioned it one time in passing.
    "Never invest in any idea you can't illustrate with a crayon." ~Peter Lynch

Registered
    May 2005
    I've never experienced any haunted places. I mark this up to it being a bunch of BS.
    "I'm very important. I have many leather-bound books and my apartment smells of rich mahogany"

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Uses Haunted houses
    Land Use and Zoning
    Replies: 12
    Last post: 23 May 2011, 2:37 PM
  2. Replies: 7
    Last post: 18 Sep 2006, 7:56 PM
  3. Replies: 13
    Last post: 31 Jul 2005, 12:25 AM
  4. Haunted big box
    Make No Small Plans