Urban planning community | #theplannerlife

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Don't divorce me because I . . . smell? (AKA: What my spouse has to put up with.)

Registered
    Aug 1997

Don't divorce me because I . . . smell? (AKA: What my spouse has to put up with.)

So an Iranian woman is filing for divorce because her husband smells:
    Divorce bid cites 'smelly husband'
    TEHRAN, Iran (Reuters) -- An Iranian woman has requested a divorce from her husband on the grounds that he has not washed for more than a year.
    "My husband says he does not like water and does not want to take a shower ... He doesn't even wash his face when he wakes up in the morning," Mina, 36, was quoted as saying in court by the state-run Iran newspaper. When the couple first married eight years ago her husband was obsessively clean, she said. "He spent hours taking showers three times a day and washed his hands every few minutes," Mina said. "But he suddenly changed ... Now nobody, including me, my children and his colleagues, can stand him." Divorce is a notoriously difficult process for women in Iran, who normally have to prove that their husband has neglected them financially or sexually, is a drug addict or physically abusive.
    What does my spouse have to put up with? Well, generally my bad jokes. And my frequently asking irrelevant or nonsensical questions just to force a conversation, which usually causes a confrontation.

What does your spouse put up with from you?
    JOE ILIFF

"Rarely do we find men who willingly engage in hard, solid thinking. There is an almost universal quest for easy answers and half-baked solutions. Nothing pains some people more than having to think."
    Martin Luther King, Jr.

Registered
    Apr 2004
    Blog entries
    Being Hungarian I have certain gastrointestinal emission that would qualify me as smelly. The fact that she puts up with this would qualify her for sainthood.

-Of course she has to put up with me being a planner (Just now, I was pointing out violations as we met for dinner)

-I tend to want to have it my own way (only child)

-she has to put up with my spewing usless knowledge

-I have to run outside when there is a low-flying aircraft in the vicinty of the apartment.

-I'm sure there are other things, but I have to prepare for a neighborhood meeting.
    You get all squeezed up inside/Like the days were carved in stone/You get all wired up inside/And it's bad to be alone

You can go out, you can take a ride/And when you get out on your own/You get all smoothed out inside/And it's good to be alone
    -Peart

Registered
    Jul 2002
    Quote Originally posted by zmanPLAN
    Being Hungarian I have certain gastrointestinal emission that would qualify me as smelly. The fact that she puts up with this would qualify her for sainthood.

-Of course she has to put up with me being a planner (Just now, I was pointing out violations as we met for dinner)

-I tend to want to have it my own way (only child)

-she has to put up with my spewing usless knowledge

-I have to run outside when there is a low-flying aircraft in the vicinty of the apartment.

-I'm sure there are other things, but I have to prepare for a neighborhood meeting.
    Wait Wait Wait

I think Joe lliff said
    Quote Originally posted by Joe Iliff
    Are you with holding information from us zmanPLAN. Just last week and the week before your building a house, then you talking about getting a Doggggggie (kids are next) and now your speaking about the woman as your spouse.

Hey congrats buddy, I didn't know you got married over the weekend.

Registered
    Apr 2003
    Somewhere between the mountains and the ocean.
    I have a habit of hitting my keys on a metal (brake glass in emergency) bar in the hallway of my Apt, and it drive the GF crazy.

I also tend to talk about different connections in a city, and other planning things.

I get frustrated when I see violations and want to pull over to ask them WTF.

Road Rage (not so bad now that I listen to classical, oldies, and books on tape.

I also plan out things, and during events, dates, outings, trips, and other adventures, I will look at my watch every 30 or so min. The GF I had from York PA took my watch away from me on a weekend trip.

No hygiene problems though.
    The most foolish thing one can do this fall is to vote for Clinton or Trump. Wake up, get out of the matrix, and send a message to the political establishment that you won't play their game.

Registered
    Feb 2002
    I'm stubborn and like to get my own way

I raise my voice when I get angry (working on this one)

I complain about his mom a lot (for reason, but that would be a whole other post)

Registered
    Nov 2002
    My family

maudit anglais
    Registered
    May 1997
    I have a bad habit of mercilessly teasing Mrs. Tranplanner.

Registered
    Dec 2004
    my spouse has to put up with....

- Me pointing out badly designed buildings on a drive ("who approved that?" etc)
    - Me pointing out buildings on a drive I have approved that I'm rather proud of
    - Inane football(/soccer) talk from me that she has no interest in whatsoever
    - My occasional mardiness, especially when tired

Registered
    Dec 2001
    I am exceptionally slow when it comes to starting housework, but really good at doing it when I get moving.

She has to put up with my garlic and onion infused everything when I cook.

I frequently stink...we'll I personally don't stink but occasional spurts of natural gas do.

I tickle relentelessly

I sometimes think I sound like an old man when I complain about local politics and why I'm right and all politicians are wrong. (sorry old men, not sorry politicians).
    Dude, I'm cheesing so hard right now.

Registered
    Apr 2004
    Blog entries
    Quote Originally posted by PlannerByDay
    Wait Wait Wait
    Hey congrats buddy, I didn't know you got married over the weekend.
    WOAH WOAH WOAH!!!!!!!!!!

Hey I never said that. We are common law, yes that's right, common law marriage...

They're trying to legalize marriage to a flatulent Hungarian in Colorado... it is moving slowly and is currently being tied up in the Colorado State Senate the outcome doesn't look good.

That and some days it feels as if I had been married for years....
    You get all squeezed up inside/Like the days were carved in stone/You get all wired up inside/And it's bad to be alone

You can go out, you can take a ride/And when you get out on your own/You get all smoothed out inside/And it's good to be alone
    -Peart

Registered
    Jul 2002
    I know just messin with you buddy.

Registered
    Nov 2002
    Quote Originally posted by Joe Iliff
    I'm retarded. Well, she seems to think so at times.

Registered
    Apr 2004
    Blog entries
    Quote Originally posted by PlannerByDay
    I know just messin with you buddy.

Hey it's all good...

-Peart

Quote Originally posted by biscuit
    I'm retarded. Well, she seems to think so at times.
    Maybe our wives are related. Mine also seems to think that I can't possibly communicate on her level (I can, I just choose not to ).
    Je suis Charlie Hebdo. Je suis Bataclan. Je suis Bruxelles. Je suis Nice.

Registered
    Dec 2001
    Quote Originally posted by Gedunker
    Maybe our wives are related. Mine also seems to think that I can't possibly communicate on her level (I can, I just choose not to ).
    In addition to that, I'm often referred to as her "4th child"
    Dude, I'm cheesing so hard right now.

Cyburbian Emeritus Bear Up North's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003
    I complain about her son's lack of a work ethic, her son's sloppiness, the way her son talks back to her.

Oops....there I go again.

Seriously, I do complain too much and I am not quick to praise his good grades, good driving record, attitude about drugs, etc.

He's a good kid and I need to say that to him.

Bear
    Occupy Cyburbia!

Registered
    Dec 2003
    I get frustrated and kind of go off on a rant when something is missing. We had a big fight a while back over a pair of scissors that I couldn't find. Really stupid of me, in hindsight.

My jokes are REALLY bad and she hates my taste in music, too.

Quote Originally posted by Bear Up North
    I complain about her son's lack of a work ethic, her son's sloppiness, the way her son talks back to her.

Oops....there I go again.

Seriously, I do complain too much and I am not quick to praise his good grades, good driving record, attitude about drugs, etc.

He's a good kid and I need to say that to him.

Bear
    WOW! I forgot about this. Sounds just like my house. Good reminder for me...Thanks Bear!
    Last edited by NHPlanner; 03 Mar 2005 at 12:52 PM.
    "There's nothing wrong with America that can't be fixed by what's right with America." - Bill Clinton.

She has to put up with:
    My belching ( I'm a 4th degree black belt in it) I've also taught the 4 year old to do it. Since she's a little girl and smiles after letting one out, I get the "look".
    I can be a rather stubborn Kraut ( is that reduntant?)
    I can get pretty wound-up during our political discussions.

Mr. AP has to put up with:

-my disorganized way of life
    -my forgetfulness
    -my need to actually have physical contact with another human being (he is an only child from a family that probably never hugged each other - so it really annoys him when I try to hug or cuddle)
    -the fact that I don't really do too much around the house because by the time I get to it, it has driven him so crazy that he already did it.
    -my laid-back attitude about everything
    -the fact that I only like to do things (like cook) when I want to do them. Otherwise, it is like work to me and I hate it.
    -my bad jokes
    -my taste in music (I prefer to just listen to the radio - sometimes pop stations, but most of the time it is the Ideas network)
    -my love of shopping

I'm a pretty lucky gal that I found someone that will put up with me.

I could probably think of more, but I have to run to a meeting.

Registered
    Apr 2004
    Blog entries
    Quote Originally posted by nuovorecord
    [snip] she hates my taste in music, too.
    That is the same here, and my musical tastes span a vaaast spectrum.

-Peart

Registered
    Aug 2002
    The Mud Prince has to put up with:

...my consistent frugality, and tendency to put the ka-bosh on any "unnecessary" spending (ANOTHER car?!! What's wrong with the one we have? HOW much did you say that bike would be?! )

.. my rants about development and politics

...my obsessiveness about locking doors, and checking to make sure the car is, in fact, locked when we park on the street

...honker nose blowing

...my tendency to work too hard & forget about taking time out for "us" / myself

No hygiene problems here, at least.

Forums Administrator & Gallery Moderator NHPlanner's avatar
    Registered
    Apr 1996
    I'd love to respond to this with all the things I (stupidly) put up with with my ex-wife....but I'll pass. Better left to the past and forgotten.
    "Growth is inevitable and desirable, but destruction of community character is not. The question is not whether your part of the world is going to change. The question is how." -- Edward T. McMahon, The Conservation Fund

Registered
    Oct 2000
    Mr. Downtown, during the first three months of this pregnancy, essentially became a single dad, since I slept until 30 minutes before leaving for work, and going to bed before my son would. Also during this period of time, I did absolutely no cooking, no cleaning, no laundry. Granted, I actually lost weight from being so nauseous/vomiting so much, but still - he really stepped up.

When I'm not pregnant, close friends and family wonder how he can deal with:
    - how bossy I am
    - my inability to put my shoes away after I take them off after getting home
    - how "granola" I am (his family raised eyebrows at many of my opinions on pregnancy/childbirth/childrearing - ie: that we hired a doula, I breastfed (until six months! gasp!), and refused to dress him in anything other than comfortable sleepers and gowns until he could walk.)

But to address the first item - he really does need to be bossed around. That man can't make a decision to save his life.

Registered
    Jul 2002
    My significant other has to tolerate:

my messiness
    my tardiness (always running late!)
    my "ditziness," at times
    my PMS
    my cat

But he really is a lucky guy!

maudit anglais
    Registered
    May 1997
    Quote Originally posted by NHPlanner
    I'd love to respond to this with all the things I (stupidly) put up with with my ex-wife....but I'll pass. Better left to the past and forgotten.
    No, no, no - you're supposed to list all the things Plannergroupie has to put up with from you. Or maybe it's better if we hear it from her...

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. How did you meet your spouse/SO?
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 32
    Last post: 07 Oct 2013, 2:13 PM
  2. Children Of Divorce
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 8
    Last post: 02 Sep 2009, 3:54 PM
  3. Working with your spouse