Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Fees your Community Charges for Info

Registered
    Jul 2002

Fees your Community Charges for Info

I just called a County in Northern Lower Michigan to get a list of the Township Officials faxed to me. The clerk told me it was going to be $7.00 for the first page and $1.00 for each additional page .

I gave her a hard time, I told her it was for a project I was working on in the county (which is true) and she sent it to me for free.

But holy cow, $7.00 for a 1 page stinkin fax. That is unheard of. Or is it?

Does your community charge for faxes? Are your charges for copies of documents excessive in order to get out of the work?

Registered
    Feb 2002
    We don't have a set fee schedule for information. I can never get our fax machine to work right anyway. Most of our stuff of available on our website, or I can email it very easily. I think we have a 10cent per page copy charge, but I don't think we ever follow it. It's more of a hassle to charge them than to just give it to them at no charge.

We only charge for copies if the request is for a substantial number -- 50 or more, generally. However, when I make bluelines of aerials or topos, I charge $6.00 for a single sheet, $3.00 for each successive sheet. I hate making bluelines
    On pitching to Stan Musial:
    "Once he timed your fastball, your infielders were in jeopardy."
    Warren Spahn

Registered
    Dec 2001
    We're supposed to charge 10 cents per copy, however we aren't allowed to accept the money in our department. So someone will get 3 copies, 30 cents and try to pay at the counter w/ a dollar and I have to direct them across the street to city hall and pay the treasurer. i make up a receipt and hand it to them for 30 measily cents that was just spent during the time I explained our process, costs, and where to pay. blah.

most of the time I don't charge.. if it's over 10 pages I do.

other fees are the map fees.. zoning map is $5.00 and such.
    Dude, I'm cheesing so hard right now.

Registered
    Apr 2004
    Blog entries
    We will charge $3.50 for a 36x48 copy of a plan. But I usually do not charge unless they are mean....

...yeah I can be a jerk...
    You get all squeezed up inside/Like the days were carved in stone/You get all wired up inside/And it's bad to be alone

You can go out, you can take a ride/And when you get out on your own/You get all smoothed out inside/And it's good to be alone
    -Peart

Registered
    Sep 2001
    2 jobs ago.

$25 for confirmation of zonings
    $75 when a site plan review was required
    $20 for zoning map.
    By-laws - sent them to the clerk's office. I think they were about $25 each (Plan, Zoning) and $5 for others.

Freedom of Information requests - $50 to file it plus $50 /hour to compile plus 25 cents a page to copy the document being requested. This pretty much scared people away, especially when we would provide an estimated cost of $200-$300 per request.
    Too lazy to beat myself up for being to lazy to beat myself up for being too lazy to... well you get the point....

Unfrozen Caveman Planner mendelman's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003
    Quote Originally posted by donk
    2 jobs ago.

$25 for confirmation of zonings
    $75 when a site plan review was required
    $20 for zoning map.
    By-laws - sent them to the clerk's office. I think they were about $25 each (Plan, Zoning) and $5 for others.

Freedom of Information requests - $50 to file it plus $50 /hour to compile plus 25 cents a page to copy the document being requested. This pretty much scared people away, especially when we would provide an estimated cost of $200-$300 per request.
    Wow...that is hardcore....so much for "open" government.
    I'm sorry. Is my bias showing?

Let's not be didactic in this profession, because that is a path to disillusion and irrelevancy.

Six seasons and a movie!

Registered
    Sep 2001
    Quote Originally posted by mendelman
    Wow...that is hardcore....so much for "open" government.

the philosophy was that if you are requesting info and you are going to benefit from it, then you should pay for it, especially when you are on a fishing trip. Now if a person came in and was polite and asked to see a public file then they could look at it for nothing, if I had the time and liked their attitude.

The confirmations placed liability on the City, so it was felt that the applicant should have to contribute to the insurance fund.
    Too lazy to beat myself up for being to lazy to beat myself up for being too lazy to... well you get the point....

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 16
    Last post: 26 May 2007, 7:13 AM
  2. Replies: 1
    Last post: 05 Mar 2007, 12:17 AM
  3. Community planning vs community development
    Economic and Community Development
    Replies: 8
    Last post: 29 Aug 2006, 2:12 PM
  4. Replies: 9
    Last post: 01 Jun 2006, 2:18 PM