Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Boondocks

Cyburbian Plus Whose Yur Planner's avatar
    Registered
    Jun 2004

Boondocks

Did anyone catch yesterday's "Boondocks". It was a great anti-Walmart strip.

Registered
    Sep 2001
    Last night's simpsons had homer working at "sprawl mart". Each time they showed teh banner in front of the store it had funny sayings. I think one was "if you worked here, you'd be poor too".

Pretty funny.
    Too lazy to beat myself up for being to lazy to beat myself up for being too lazy to... well you get the point....

Registered
    Feb 2004
    No, but I'll check it out tonight. This particular strip for whatever reason seems to bring out the worst in the editorial section of our local rag. Hardly a week goes by without some (I visualize some curmudgeonly old busybody grandmother who's chairperson for some local church group's Committee on Decency) writing a vitriolic screed about how this strip is encouraging violence, racism, bigamy, fornication, whatever....Personally, I love the strip!
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Registered
    Mar 2004

Didn't it say....

Quote Originally posted by donk
    Last night's simpsons had homer working at "sprawl mart". Each time they showed teh banner in front of the store it had funny sayings. I think one was "if you worked here, you'd be poor too".

Pretty funny.
    I thought it said "If you worked here, you'd be poor by now".....equally as funny The chips in the neck were very funny...
    Skilled Adoxographer

Registered
    Dec 2003
    "Boondocks" is great! Really kills me! I like Huey's deadpan lines. Then on the opposite end of the spectrum you have "Mallard Fillmore" which isn't funny at all. No, not because its conservative. There are funny conservatives, such as eG here! Its just that the gags are really weak and simple. What's up with that cartoon? Do right-leaning papers run it because there are no other conservative cartoonists?

I believe the cartoonist of "Boondocks" is African American. I'm not sure a white cartoonist could get away with what he does!
    Adrift in a sea of beige

moderator in moderation Suburb Repairman's avatar
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    Boondocks is one of my favorite strips, but I've missed it over the past few months (I've gone to using the online edition).

It seems like every time I turn on South Park they are running the Wal-Mart episode. It's one of my favorites. The ending is the best part!

"Oh, that is all well and good, but, voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. It works the same way in any country."

- Herman Göring at the Nuremburg trials (thoughts on democracy)

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries
    Growth for growth's sake is the ideology of the cancer cell. -- Edward Abbey

Registered
    Mar 2004

Hey

That's just Pinky and the Brain! What's with the new name.....trying to appeal to the "adults" out there.....talk about marketing....jeesh......Anyone remember that show?
    Skilled Adoxographer

Cyburbian Plus Whose Yur Planner's avatar
    Registered
    Jun 2004
    Quote Originally posted by boilerplater
    "Boondocks" is great! Really kills me! I like Huey's deadpan lines. Then on the opposite end of the spectrum you have "Mallard Fillmore" which isn't funny at all. No, not because its conservative. There are funny conservatives, such as eG here! Its just that the gags are really weak and simple. What's up with that cartoon? Do right-leaning papers run it because there are no other conservative cartoonists?

I believe the cartoonist of "Boondocks" is African American. I'm not sure a white cartoonist could get away with what he does!
    The ironic part of all of this is that the Indianapolis Star, a conservative newspaper in a very conservative city, runs both boondocks and non sequitur, two of the more left leaning strips out there.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Boondocks vs Walmart, Round 2
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 2
    Last post: 21 Mar 2005, 10:25 AM
  2. Replies: 1
    Last post: 11 Apr 2003, 10:53 PM