Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: AICP accredidation

Registered
    Nov 2003

AICP accredidation

Hi

I have a question that pertains to the process of AICP certification. I am a recent graduate of Ohio State’s Geography Program, where I majored in GIS and Urban Systems. I decided to look for a job after graduation, and currently I work for a private redevelopment firm in the Philadelphia region. My job title is land planning assistant, and my major job functions are researching zoning for new development as well as basic AutoCAD and GIS map creation. My question is this, would any of this count towards my AICP certification, and if not, what would be a good path to pursue? While I would love to go to grad school, I was an engineering student for most of college and my GPA is below a 3.0. How many years do you have to wait before this would be less of an issue? When do most people typically get their AICP certification, and what hoops do you have to go through to get the AICP if you work in the private sector?

Rocketjim:

Here is the link with all the gory details on how and when and HOW MUCH IT COSTS for the honor of taking the AICP certification test. http://www.planning.org/certification/eligible.htm I guess I was fortunate as I didn't even know this certification existed until I was already eligible to apply. This is one of the advantages of living in the hinterlands I suppose. I take the test in May. It sounds like your current position would meet the AICP work requirements without any problem.

Registered
    Jan 2005
    Quote Originally posted by Follow the $$
    Rocketjim:

HOW MUCH IT COSTS .
    I assume you're referring to annual AICP dues for the honor of having the title. Or is there actually a charge just to sit for the test as well? Couldn't find this info on the APA link. Thanks.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Dec 2001
    You may want to check http://www.planning.org/certification/experience.htm to determine for yourself whether you think your experience fits the "professional planning experience" criteria. Also, if you dig a little deeper on that website you'll find the cost of applying for and taking the exam. Then there are the APA dues (if you aren't already a member) and the AICP dues (once you pass), both paid annually.

Registered
    Feb 2000
    Yes there is a fee for the test and to retain memebership after receiving a certificate. As far as a best career path, try as best you can to be a generalist. So if you are in a job dealing mostly with GIS, read books on planning theory, architectural history over the past century and a half, planning law, zoning and subdivision processes, comp planning, state and federal functions, etc..... When I took it the test seemed very diverse.
    "And all this terrible change had come about because he had ceased to believe himself and had taken to believing others. " - Leo Tolstoy

For the AICP definition of planning work experience, you may have difficulty honestly explaining how you "influenced public opinion", or whatever. Don't sweat holding off if you'd like.

It sounds like you have a real interest in going for a Master's. I am happy I did, if only for the enlightenment and fun, though it's given me opportunities at work, too. Don't worry about your GPA. Find a prof you have something in common with and start a conversation. You'll find somebody interested in your thoughts, and furthering your education. Unless it's Ohio State or some other huge school, I bet you won't have trouble getting in. Take the GRE if you haven't already, it's cheaper than the AICP.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 0
    Last post: 02 Apr 2008, 1:46 PM
  2. AICP in May??
    Career Development and Advice
    Replies: 32
    Last post: 26 Oct 2005, 10:18 AM
  3. Are you AICP?
    Make No Small Plans
    Replies: 47
    Last post: 12 Jan 2005, 12:04 PM