Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Gardens

Registered
    Jul 2002

Gardens

After a slow start my Habanero plants are blossoming!
    BE AFRAID, BE VERY AFRAID!
    I can't wait!:devil :devil

Registered
    Aug 2001

awesome!

I grew Thai Hot Peppers a few years ago, and still have a ton of 'em vacuum packed in the freezer. You'd be amaxed how well they keep, and hot hot hot!

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Looks like the only peppers I'll be getting this year are a couple green peppers. After the spring crops, just about everything else is a complete loss. Only the melons, squash and carrots seem to have made it though the drought in halfway decent shape.

Registered
    Oct 2000
    My cherry and plum tomatos have gone crazy (in a good way), as have my beans, my carrots are doing so so and my poor cucumbers were cross polinated with my pumpkins and i have some orange cukes, and my pumpkins have contracted a leaf killing mold that no fungicide can stop, so i've got two little pie pumpkins. canteloups and pepper, total loss. so all in all, my veggie garden is coming out sort of ok, considering i started everything (including all my annuals) from seed in the garage this spring.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Way cool you guys!! How bout some "cyburbia hot salsa" added to Dan's Cyburbia Schwag retail list?

Registered
    Jul 2002

Re: awesome!

Originally posted by bturk
    I grew Thai Hot Peppers a few years ago, and still have a ton of 'em vacuum packed in the freezer. You'd be amaxed how well they keep, and hot hot hot!
    I still have about a gallon of super cayannes dried from last year. I don't think thet can rot. I want to make my own "tabasco" sauce. Any recipies?

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Originally posted by KMateja
    my poor cucumbers were cross polinated with my pumpkins and i have some orange cukes
    I've never heard of that before. Though I do not like cukes, I may have to do some genetic experimentation next year. (rubs his hands together as he laughs sinsterly)

maudit anglais
    Registered
    May 1997
    We live in a small condo - so no gardening for us. We have a lot of houseplants though. I do have some herbs growing - nothing like using fresh herbs when you're cooking, and my fiancee planted a container with peas - they're coming out nicely now, but small.

We have a small vegetable patch up at my future in-laws' place - zuchinis, onions, carrots, peas, beans, squash, and some jalapeno peppers. Everything except the carrots came up well this year.

I can't wait to buy a house and have a proper garden.

Registered
    Jul 2002

?

Originally posted by Michael Stumpf

I've never heard of that before. Though I do not like cukes, I may have to do some genetic experimentation next year. (rubs his hands together as he laughs sinsterly)
    Would they be "cumkins or pucumbers?

Registered
    Oct 2001

Cabbage!

Anyone else here have a love affair going with that delectable Korean dish called Kimchee? I just put up 12 quarts of spicy fermented love.

Kimchee - If it doesn't kill you - it kills those around you!

Registered
    Jul 2002

Re: Cabbage!

Originally posted by El Guapo
    Anyone else here have a love affair going with that delectable Korean dish called Kimchee? I just put up 12 quarts of spicy fermented love.

Kimchee - If it doesn't kill you - it kills those around you!
    No, but I'm going to make my own saurkraut soon. With kolbassa and beer..... same result.

maudit anglais
    Registered
    May 1997
    I love Kimchee! What do you mean by "put up" though - are you making it yourself?

We made about 10 jars of chutney last weekend - yummy!

Registered
    Oct 2000
    Originally posted by Michael Stumpf

I'll take a picture for you and post it on monday so you all can bask in the glory that is my Pucumber! *sounds rather icky*

Registered
    Oct 2001

Fermentation

Originally posted by Tranplanner
    I love Kimchee! What do you mean by "put up" though - are you making it yourself?

We made about 10 jars of chutney last weekend - yummy!
    Harrumph......Yes I made it myself! By put up (prairie vernacular for canned) - I mean: After the fermentation process is complete (3-5 days) you place the product into individual jars and refrigerate to slow the fermentation to a near stop.

Yes and you too can make Kimchee. It is easy and fun! Plus it is much cheaper than buying it from an international foods store.

Want a formula (things that powerful don't have recipes)?

Registered
    Aug 2001

Re: ?

Originally posted by Tom R

Would they be "cumkins or pucumbers?
    When broken into their root syllables, neither sounds particularly appetizing.

maudit anglais
    Registered
    May 1997
    I used to know someone whose mother makes Kimchee - far better than any restaurant or store-bought stuff. Serve with Korean BBQ and beer - heaven!

Kimchee isn't that expensive in Toronto - there is a large Korean population, and a lot of Asian supermarkets carry the stuff. But I wouldn't mind seeing your "formula" for Kimchee, but I'm not sure if I'd have a go at making it. I'd be the only one eating it.

Registered
    Oct 2001

Do it yourself.

You can make as little as a gallon jar from this FORMULA! That will get most non-Koreans through a year. Yes -it lasts that long. Besides there is nothing more fun than offering a good pal a "homemade cold one" and then bringing out a dish of that wonderful Kimchee! They won't come back.

Registered
    Jul 1998

Re: Gardens

Originally posted by Tom R
    After a slow start my Habanero plants are blossoming!
    BE AFRAID, BE VERY AFRAID!
    I can't wait!:devil :devil
    Grew some of those a couple of years ago, made some awesome hot pepper sauce with them. A couple of drops and a whole batch of chilli is hot enough

Registered
    Jul 2002

kraut

My neighbors and I put up about 20 lb. of sauerkraut yesteray. YUM.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Allotment gardens
    Environmental Planning
    Replies: 15
    Last post: 16 Jul 2012, 4:12 AM
  2. Community gardens
    Design, Space, and Place
    Replies: 12
    Last post: 06 May 2011, 5:53 PM
  3. Uses Community gardens
    Land Use and Zoning