Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst ... 2 3

Thread: The ideal commute

Thanks for all the replies!
    I have not had a chance to view the links yet, but sure one of those must be the place of which I was thinking. I have never been to any of them, so the critiques are appreciated. I will be sure to let everyone know how the "Pedestrian Pathway" standards/specs turn out.

Registered
    Nov 2004

What, would you say, is a reasonable commute time and distance?

I was thinking about this today and was wondering how one could answer this question. I guess it would really depend on what size the city is, the geography, etc., but surely there is a general idea of how commuting should work.

My commute for the past 3 years has been only one block. Now it's about 2 miles one-way. At the end of this month when we move into our house, it will go up to 10 miles one way (from my house to where I work downtown). In many ways, I'm looking forward to having this extra time to unwind, listen to the radio and enjoy the day on my way home. As it is now, I'm thrown straight out of work and into home with no "off time" in the middle. I think that having a good 15-20 minutes between leaving the office and coming home can be very good, whether it's walking, driving or biking.

So, what should be a reasonable commute time and distance to keep people happy and keep traffic congestion and air pollution lower? I think we can all agree it is unreasonable to think that everyone will be able to live within a block or two of where they work. Most planners tend to hate the commuting culture that suburbs inspire, but I am just curious to know what their idea is as far as what it should be.

Moderator note:

Threads merged - sorry, I probably should have just linked them

+ Reply to thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst ... 2 3

More at Cyburbia

1. Wow - that commute!
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 49
    Last post: 16 May 2007, 10:28 AM
  2. How Long Is Your Commute? [Temp 2]
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 33