Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Badge of courage.

Registered
    Jul 2002

Badge of courage.

Is being fired from a planning position a "Red badge of courage?" It would be interesting to hear stories about getting the "boot", how and why.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails rayslogo.gif  

Registered
    Oct 2001

Depends - Like the Adult Undergarment

If you went down on principle and could fully explain it in the interview without sounding bitter or whiney It would increase your standing with me as an interviewer/employer.

However, you only get one of those. If you have a series of them then it may be time for some self reflection or meds.

I got the boot once a long time ago when I was working in college. It taught me to respect the Romans. Lovely Race the Romans....

Registered
    Oct 2000
    I've never been sacked. However, there is a big difference between being fired and downsized.

I was suspended from McDonalds on three occasions. Does that count?

1. Hair extended beyond the collar line (suspended 1 week, came back with same length hair, suspended until cut. Ran out of money, got hair cut)

2. Pierced ear (suspended until removed. Refused to remove it, but they needed help so they dealt with it and let me back after 1 day)

3. Making a manager cry (suspended 1 week for insubordination)
    "I'm a white male, age 18 to 49. Everyone listens to me, no matter how dumb my suggestions are."

- Homer Simpson

Registered
    Aug 2001

I quit before they could fire me

Worked dorm security senior year of undergrad. Spent the last 6 weeks of the semester pretty well wasted 24-7. There were about 6 "incidents", but the two big ones were outting my room mate and making an on-duty dorm cop cry and lose control of her station.

Registered
    Jul 2002

das boot

Mine was when a new county executive was elected. My position was then changed from civil service to unclassified (unprotected). I was then called to the HR office and handed a letter. No reason, no kiss and they didn't respect me in the morning.

Registered
    Jul 2002

Re: Depends - Like the Adult Undergarment

Originally posted by El Guapo
    If you went down on principle and could fully explain it in the interview without sounding bitter or whiney It would increase your standing with me as an interviewer/employer.

However, you only get one of those. If you have a series of them then it may be time for some self reflection or meds.

I got the boot once a long time ago when I was working in college. It taught me to respect the Romans. Lovely Race the Romans....
    Was Mussolini a Roman?

Registered
    Oct 2001
    I don't know - It was just a funny line from the Life of Brian I felt worked in that situation. However you slice it If you didn't get fired because you were a screw up - but you had honest ethical differences then I'd hire you if I agreed with your position that got you fired. If I agreed with your boss, oh well...

+ Reply to thread