Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Community based decision making

Registered
    Aug 2001

Community based decision making

Oh Throbbing Brain...

I am helping a friend with some research but my community development days are long past...can anyone share bibliographies or links to successful community input processes and community based decision making. I am looking for best practices and models.

Thanks for your help!
    Information necessitating a change of design will be conveyed to the designer after and only after the design is complete. (Often called the 'Now They Tell Us' Law) - Fyfe's First Law of Revision

We don't believe in planners and deciders making the decisions on behalf of Americans. -- George W. Bush , Scranton, PA -- 09/06/2000

Registered
    May 1997
    Look for the Planning for Results Guidebook by Lee Nellis and Karen Van Gilder, available from the National Association of Counties. It lays out the community process in considerable detail.

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Can you give us a little more info? Thanx.

Registered
    Mar 2004

well....

The key is to allow the public to do most of the speaking at a public forum.....provide a lot of paper and markers......limit comments to responses to specific questions......Provide as many alternatives as possible, as long as there are only a maximum of 3. Also, don't bring on a consultant that thinks they should be the one's telling your public what to do.....not cool......put them in their place immediately and make sure they know your (the city/county) the boss and that the citizens are both your bosses at the public forum. Don't discount objections, rather provide specific reasons that something may or may not work. Don't use powerpoint for more than 5 minutes (EVER!!!!) and only then to show big maps on the screen or aerials or a very few examples of the aforementioned maximum 3 alternatives.....!! Don't hide behind big presentations......

Pick up a copy of Successful Public Meetings: A Practical Guide, Elaine Cogan; APA Planning Press, 2000

And above all, make it a fun experience....GOD knows this crap can be SOOOOOO Boring to the public...... Oh, and smile a lot
    Skilled Adoxographer

Registered
    Jan 2005
    We are in the final stages of updating our General Plan. In order to fully involve the community (or, at least as much as possible)- citizens' advisory committees were formed. Each group generally had three persons that were 'assigned' to some aspect of each update. I believe the persons who wanted to be involved in the process were supposed to put their names on some sort of roster produced by the County- and then names were picked by the Board of Supervisors (not quite a random setting)- anyway, the groups did end up being quite diverse which allowed for (controversy)- a wide spectrum of feedback.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    I'm looking less for info on public participation (I'm very familiar with that and charettes) and more on things like communities that have established citizen boards that deal with things like sidewalk repair (think a neighborhood-level TIP).
    Information necessitating a change of design will be conveyed to the designer after and only after the design is complete. (Often called the 'Now They Tell Us' Law) - Fyfe's First Law of Revision

We don't believe in planners and deciders making the decisions on behalf of Americans. -- George W. Bush , Scranton, PA -- 09/06/2000

Registered
    May 1997
    I know that St. Paul, MN involves neighborhoods in its budget process. Might check them out.

Registered
    Mar 2005
    Consider a charrette with public members on the team. The public is involved in the creation of the plan (site, neighbourhood, whatever) instead of responding to a draft or finalized plan at a public hearing. Check out:

http://www.sgog.bc.ca/uplo/MRProcessCaseStudy.pdf

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. SCOTUS decision-making
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 4
    Last post: 26 Mar 2013, 6:40 PM
  2. Replies: 0
    Last post: 27 Dec 2009, 4:40 PM
  3. Replies: 23
    Last post: 27 Mar 2008, 1:46 PM
  4. CA community-based planning opportunities