Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Do You Use A Cell Phone While Driving?

Cyburbian Emeritus Bear Up North's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003

Do You Use A Cell Phone While Driving?

Though there are a number of Cyburbia threads that deal with cell phones and their impact on our society, I did not see a thread that asks the specific question "Do you use a cell phone while driving?".

My wife and stepson both have cell phones. My son's family has a couple and no landline. This Bear has no cell phone, so the answer for me is easy: Don't have one (1) so I can't very well use something I don't have, while I'm driving.

OTOH.....my wife is always on the dang cell. Quite often, while she cruises down the road.

A couple business associates just about "met their maker" on a narrow 2-lane in mid-New York state, early one (1) morning. The driver was on the phone and swayed into the oncoming lane. According to the passenger, it was just a matter of inches separating these guys from a head-on.....cell phone usage caused.
    (I believe that in New York state it is illegal to use a cell while driving.)

When I went to the doctor the other morning I was in a line of stopped traffic. I started to observe all of the people on cell phones. Just about everybody next to me or around me was on the phone.

How did all of these people "get by" in life without cells? I don't remember long lines of automobiles at the old drive-up pay phones.

Many corporations, on the advise of lawyers, are starting to relook at their rules concerning cell phone usage. Some organizations have already changed their work rules to NOT allow cell phone usage while driving.

You can tell me....what's your view? What do you do? What is your organization's regulation, if any?

Safe Bear
    Occupy Cyburbia!

Hell no, I ride a bike!

most of the time

Registered
    Oct 2001
    Yep. I drive with a cell in my ear and I'm good at it.

Driving with a cell on Kansas Highway 36 for hours at a time is not like driving on Chicago's Loop with a cell in your ear. I use my commute as an extension of my work day.

Non-Appolgetic Cellular Guap

Registered
    Jul 2002
    I remember reading that having a hands-free set-up is not any safer than holding your phone, as it is the concentration required to carry out conversation that is the main distraction.

I don't get many work calls on my cell (lucky me! ). In general, I try not to talk while driving, but if I do I keep it short.

Registered
    Jun 2003
    Don't own one, so no problem driving.
    Oddball
    Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves?
    Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
    Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
    From Kelly's Heroes (1970)

Are you sure you're not hurt ?
    No. Just some parts wake up faster than others.
    Broke parts take a little longer, though.
    From Electric Horseman (1979)

moderator in moderation Suburb Repairman's avatar
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    It depends on the setting. I'll talk on a hands-free set anywhere. However, if I'm in light traffic I'll have it against my ear and will dial while driving.

I view talking on a hands-free set much the same as talking to someone in the passenger seat. I equate dialing a phone to adjusting a radio the old-school way with a tuning button/knob (which requires eyes leaving the road).

I am sick of hearing cell phones singled-out as a problem. The problem really is distracted drivers that fail to recognize their maximum cognitive abilities & dexterity while driving. I can concentrate just fine with a cell phone against my ear driving with one hand. However, one-hand driving limits range of motion if you have to make an evasive maneuver, which is why I use hands-free in heavy traffic situations. Some people have a problem in that they get so involved in conversations (including with people in the passenger seat) that they don't concentrate on driving. Our problem isn't cell phones or radios or talking while driving; the problem is bad drivers that don't recognize their own limitations.

"Oh, that is all well and good, but, voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. It works the same way in any country."

- Herman Göring at the Nuremburg trials (thoughts on democracy)

Registered
    Jan 2005
    No. I pull over or let it ring. This is more related to my hatred of being interrupted than any road safety leanings. Who dares disturb my music?

Registered
    Jul 1998
    I do it, but not often. I talk on the phone enough at my desk, I enjoy not doing it in the car.
    “As soon as public service ceases to be the chief business of the citizens, and they would rather serve with their money than with their persons, the State is not far from its fall”
    Jean-Jacques Rousseau

Registered
    Dec 2001
    Not only that, I'm able to converse on the cell while surfing cyburbia... WOAH!.. almost crashed into Yahoo!
    Dude, I'm cheesing so hard right now.

Registered
    Nov 2002
    Quote Originally posted by Bear Up North
    I believe that in New York state it is illegal to use a cell while driving.
    In New York, you have to be "hands free" while driving. Headsets, speaker phones, etc.

I use mine while on the interstate each weekend. Hands free, of course.
    All these years the people said he’s actin’ like a kid.
    He did not know he could not fly, so he did.
    - - Guy Clark, "The Cape"

Registered
    Sep 1999
    Only if someone calls me. Then I tell them to make it fast or I'll call them back. If it's heavy traffic, I tell them I'll call them.

Registered
    Mar 2005
    I've got a phone built into my truck.
    I'm that guy you think is singing at the light...

This is a distraction , no doubt, but I don't have a phone held to my head.

Do you think there is a difference in the level of "impairment"?
    Maybe the most any of us can expect of ourselves isn't perfection but progress.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Yes, I use the cell phone while driving. But I have stopped drinking, using the cell phone, and driving at the same time. That's very difficult.
    Annoyingly insensitive

Registered
    Sep 2001
    The majority of my cell usage is from the car. Mostly telling people I am running behind schedule.

I'll be the first to admit to colouring wind shield surveys and making notes related to site visits while driving. Aren't these skills taught in all planning schools?
    Too lazy to beat myself up for being to lazy to beat myself up for being too lazy to... well you get the point....

Registered
    Dec 2003
    Quote Originally posted by RichmondJake
    [snap]But I have stopped drinking, using the cell phone, and driving at the same time.[snap]
    I had to give up the eating of the manwich, the shaving, the road dome, but I have increased my drinking, using the phone, and driving to make up the difference.

Just kidding, I don't even own a phone or a car, let along an animal according to Cardinal.
    A guy once told me, "Do not have any attachments, do not have anything in your life you are not willing to walk out on in 30 seconds flat if you spot the heat around the corner."

Neil McCauley (Robert DeNiro): Heat 1995

Registered
    Feb 2003
    I try my best not to. I am already a bad enough driver.... WATCH OUT!!!!

I've got a five-speed manual transmission so no driving while celling.

I am no longer dumbfounded by the stoopid things people do behind the wheel.
    Je suis Charlie

Registered
    Jul 2002
    If it rings, I check to see who it is. The only time I "pick up" while driving is when the SO calls. Even then, I'll say "I'm driving" and call him later.

Driving in South FL is risky enough (putting it mildly) -- I don't need the distraction. Especially on I-95, which some friends have lovingly dubbed "Die 95."

Forums Administrator & Gallery Moderator NHPlanner's avatar
    Registered
    Apr 1996
    Rarely, but if I do, it's hands free.
    "Growth is inevitable and desirable, but destruction of community character is not. The question is not whether your part of the world is going to change. The question is how." -- Edward T. McMahon, The Conservation Fund

Registered
    Oct 2000
    My cell is basically only ever used for travelling and emergencies, which is very rarely. But I do use it in the car - mostly when I'm driving long distance to call ahead to let them know when to expect me.

and no - i don't use hands free.

Registered
    Dec 2004
    Its illegal here to use your mobile phone whilst driving, unless its hands free. I used to do it a little before it was illegal, but didn't in heavy traffic or when I needed to 'do a lot' i.e. lots of gear changing etc [although I gather most of the cars in the US are automatics].

It winds me up when you see lorry drivers using their phones whilst driving though; I've even seen a few holding their phone out in front of them and texting whilst driving an umpteen ton juggernaut

Registered
    Mar 2002
    Daily. I have hands free and dont dial while moving but can speak the name and the phone does it or i take incoming calls. in bad weather I dont but day to day sitting in slow moving traffic its about the only time I have thats "mine" to talk to family or get other stuff done. I guess 80% of my cell time is in the car.

Way easier than:
    eating while driving
    putting on makeup (saw a chick putting on her EYE makeup while driving)
    putting in contacts (very scary but saw it on the beltway)
    dealing with dogs or kids (both wont stay in back seat)
    "They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Ben Franklin

Remember this motto to live by: "Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, martini in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming 'WOO- HOO what a ride!'"

Registered
    Feb 2004
    I use a cell phone while driving exclusively at work. I don't own a cell phone personally and use one at work sonly because of its convenience. I think they can be pretty dangerous. The danger is not a physical one (taking up hands), but a matter of diverting attention.
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Registered
    Dec 2001
    Off-topic:
    Quote Originally posted by noj
    It winds me up when you see lorry drivers using their phones whilst driving though;
    know it has been said before, I'm thrilled to have you and your refreshing vocabulary on this forum. Thanks to Thomas the Tank Engine, I'm quite aware of what a lorry is
    Dude, I'm cheesing so hard right now.

Registered
    Jan 2005
    Usually, as soon as I get in the car, I put on my headset- that way I can easily answer the phone without getting too distracted. Hey, if I have mastered un-wrapping and eating a burrito while driving- and not end up wearing any of it- I can certainly flip open the phone.... and hey.... planners are multi-taskers!!!

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. Cell Phone etiquette
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 20
    Last post: 01 Jul 2013, 2:09 PM
  2. Trip generation for cell phone stores
    Transportation Planning
    Replies: 2
    Last post: 05 Jan 2011, 8:53 AM
  3. Driving while using Cell Phones