Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: The uncommon condiment thread

Registered
    Feb 2004

The uncommon condiment thread

I said condiment not that thing you put on your....is thing on? Hello?

A while ago I was reading how salsa passed ketchup as the most popular condiment in America. That's no small feat when you think about how many people put ketchup on their fries, meatloaf, steak (how gauche!), or a thousand other things. Seems like mustard oughta be right up there too when one stops to consider the millions of sausages that get consumed every year. What does salsa get put on other than corn chips?

Personally, I add hot sauce to lots of things you wouldn't normally think of like salads, hot dogs, popcorn, eggs, beer, mashed potatoes etc. What unusual condiment combinations do you do or see others do? I heard serving fries with mayonnaise is quite popular in Europe and I think they do something even stranger with fries in Eastern Canuckistan.
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Registered
    Jul 2002
    I don't think it is that strange but I dip my french fries in BBQ sauce.

Registered
    Apr 2004
    Blog entries
    I prefer vinegar on my french fries, but will often have them with BBQ sauce.

Something I may have here that only the southern Cyburbians may have is:
    -Hot Chow Chow and
    -Hot Pepper vinegar

Perfect for corn bread (non-yankee), blackeyed peas, and collard greens. I cannot find it here in CO, but when I get down to Memphis, I stock up.

I thank my mom for the love of southern cooking, which hasn't taken off with my Pacific Northwest-raised girlfriend... but I still tryi.
    You get all squeezed up inside/Like the days were carved in stone/You get all wired up inside/And it's bad to be alone

You can go out, you can take a ride/And when you get out on your own/You get all smoothed out inside/And it's good to be alone
    -Peart

Registered
    Sep 2001
    Pickled pears and french fries. Don't look at me weird, what do you think ketchup is (vinegar and tomato)

Horseradish for hamburgers and other beef.
    Too lazy to beat myself up for being to lazy to beat myself up for being too lazy to... well you get the point....

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally posted by zmanPLAN
    I prefer vinegar on my french fries
    I think putting malt vinegar on fries is not uncommon Down South and elsewhere. Oh, and when noj posts his reply, make sure everyone gives him a hard time when he starts talking about what he puts on his 'chips'. They're fries dammit!
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Feb 2004
    I guess I'm in the majority, I put salsa on just about everything: eggs, burgers, chicken, steak, sandwiches, some kinds of fish, etc. Can't wait for the grrowing season to get under way so that I can make fresh salsa from my own garden. One of the truely rewarding things in life is to eat a mixture of vegetables and herbs that you grew.

Registered
    Jan 2005
    Yum... Poutine... Fries covered in Gravy and Cheese Curds... oh man, is that a great after pub food or what...

Personally, I'm a Huge fan of Sweet Chili Sauce - I tried it in Australia, where its everywhere (use for fries, eggs, burger's etc) but here in Vancouver its harder to find... But it is SO good...
    Mitchbaby: Proud to be a :canada: planner and a :canada: surfer

maudit anglais
    Registered
    May 1997
    Quote Originally posted by MitchBaby
    Yum... Poutine... Fries covered in Gravy and Cheese Curds... oh man, is that a great after pub food or what...

Personally, I'm a Huge fan of Sweet Chili Sauce - I tried it in Australia, where its everywhere (use for fries, eggs, burger's etc) but here in Vancouver its harder to find... But it is SO good...
    Second the vote for poutine.

I have a good homemade sweet chili sauce recipe if you're interested. I'm sure Asian (especially Vietnamese) supermarkets in Vancouver would stock bottles of the stuff.

Mrs. Tranplanner's homemade chutney is my favourite condiment.

Registered
    Dec 2004
    On my chips ( ) its got to be salt and vinegar. Horseradish with beef.

Northern European peeps like mayonnaise with chips, especially the Dutch and Belgians.

With anything fried, especially a quality English breakfast it has to be Brown sauce, and my personal favourite condiment is Worcestershire Sauce. Its a little bit like tabasco, and great for perking up soups and cheese on toast.

I went to the US last year and asked for some chips and they gave me bloody crisps!

Registered
    Sep 1999
    My son puts ketchup on his mashed potatos. I can't even watch him eat it.

Registered
    Dec 2003
    Quote Originally posted by Maister
    I heard serving fries with mayonnaise is quite popular in Europe and I think they do something even stranger with fries in Eastern Canuckistan.
    In Amsterdam, they serve fries/chips/frites/etc. with all sorts of toppings. Several types of mayo, plus curry, vinegar, gravy. Really good!

I personally like tartar sauce with my fries!
    "There's nothing wrong with America that can't be fixed by what's right with America." - Bill Clinton.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    French fries taste good dipped in chocolate shake. So I'll count chocolate shake as a condiment.

Otherwise, the only really WEIRD thing I do, is I put jelly (grape preferably) on grilled cheese sandwiches. This is a long-standing family tradition.

Quote Originally posted by Zoning Goddess
    Ugh... our kids put ketchup on everything too, the most disgusting of which is KD (macaroni and cheese to those south o' the border).

Quote Originally posted by Zoning Goddess
    My sister puts it on her scrambled eggs. I can't watch either.

As for me, I'm kind of a plain sort. If it's not a basic ingredient to the preparation of the food, I probably won't add it. Excepting a good Worcestershire Sauce for some cuts of beef. But good heavens, please don't let it run into my fries or bread product.
    On pitching to Stan Musial:
    "Once he timed your fastball, your infielders were in jeopardy."
    Warren Spahn

Registered
    Oct 2001
    Quote Originally posted by nerudite
    Otherwise, the only really WEIRD thing I do, is I put jelly (grape preferably) on grilled cheese sandwiches. This is a long-standing family tradition.

Mayo on a peanut butter sammich...
    -----------------------------------------------------------------
    C'mon and get me you twist of fate
    I'm standing right here Mr. Destiny
    If you want to talk well then I'll relate
    If you don't so what cause you don't scare me

Registered
    Jul 1998
    There is a certain brand of frozen pizza, that just isn't the same without horseradish
    “As soon as public service ceases to be the chief business of the citizens, and they would rather serve with their money than with their persons, the State is not far from its fall”
    Jean-Jacques Rousseau

Registered
    Apr 2004
    Blog entries
    Going to the other side of the family, there is a Hungarian dish for potatoes with cherry sauce.... My dad loves it, but I think my tastes have been to Americanized for that one...
    You get all squeezed up inside/Like the days were carved in stone/You get all wired up inside/And it's bad to be alone

You can go out, you can take a ride/And when you get out on your own/You get all smoothed out inside/And it's good to be alone
    -Peart

Registered
    Feb 2003
    My dad puts applesauce on his toast.
    “I am not discouraged, because every wrong attempt discarded is another step forward.” - Thomas Edison

Registered
    Apr 2003
    Someplace between yesterday and tomorrow.
    Tobasco sauce on just about everything!
    Not my monkey, not my circus. - Old Polish Proverb

Registered
    Apr 2002
    I like Indian condiments like pickled mango and mixed pickle. They are good with rice dishes and add tons of spice.

Registered
    Jul 2003
    I can't think of any. I do like to dip french fries in natural gravy ("au jus") when it is available. But, like Gedunker, I tend to eat fairly plain food.

There is also yogurt on eggo waffles. Is that "uncommon"? More importantly, can yogurt be classified as a "condiment"?

Registered
    Jun 2004
    I seem to get cravings for peanut butter and turkey sandwichs from time to time. I discovered the combo after chicken and some thai peanut sauce. Good stuff. I second the pepper vinegar. I don't buy it but make my own. I like grape jelly on my sausage biscuits and maple syrup on my bacon and sausage as well.

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    I like Cinnamon
    on toast w/ Splenda, in oatmeal, on cold cereal, and added to coffee in the brew process.
    Oddball
    Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves?
    Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
    Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
    From Kelly's Heroes (1970)

Are you sure you're not hurt ?
    No. Just some parts wake up faster than others.
    Broke parts take a little longer, though.
    From Electric Horseman (1979)

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Blog entries
    [QUOTE=zmanPLAN]
    -Hot Chow Chow QUOTE]

Chow chow is one of my favorites. Substitute chow chow for mustard in egg salad. Now that is some tasty. At least I think so, probably because that is how Mom did it.
    "I am very good at reading women, but I get into trouble for using the Braille method."

~ Otterpop ~

Registered
    Jul 2002
    noj - Fries are known as chips here too! I always have them with Heinz ketchup.

MitchBaby - Sweet Chilli Sauce is very popular here too. My friend who is from Virginia was saying how she missed it when she went home recently, couldn't find it anywhere.

I believe that the mayonnaise that N Europeans like for their 'fries' is a particular purpose-made kind, called 'fritte sauce', not your garden variety mayo? I tried it while over there - yummy.

Registered
    Apr 2004
    Blog entries
    Quote Originally posted by otterpop
    Quote Originally posted by zmanPLAN
    -Hot Chow Chow
    Chow chow is one of my favorites. Substitute chow chow for mustard in egg salad. Now that is some tasty. At least I think so, probably because that is how Mom did it.

At last someone knows what I am talking about.

-Peart

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 16
    Last post: 07 Jan 2013, 10:49 PM
  2. Replies: 24
    Last post: 17 Jun 2011, 3:41 PM
  3. Condiment Collaborations
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 31
    Last post: 15 Sep 2010, 1:19 PM