Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: The uncommon condiment thread

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally posted by zmanPLAN
    At last someone knows what I am talking about.
    My maternal grandmother is from western Pennsylvania and makes chow-chow. Her aunt, my great-great aunt, also made it. I may have had it once, but I didn't find it to be anything special.

I'm surprised no one here has yet mentioned A-1 steak sauce, me personally, I eat steak just so I can have the sauce.

Registered
    Jan 2005
    Quote Originally posted by JNL
    MitchBaby - Sweet Chilli Sauce is very popular here too. My friend who is from Virginia was saying how she missed it when she went home recently, couldn't find it anywhere.

I believe that the mayonnaise that N Europeans like for their 'fries' is a particular purpose-made kind, called 'fritte sauce', not your garden variety mayo? I tried it while over there - yummy.

I've looked for the same stuff here in Vancouver, but its not the same stuff, its not nearly as good, nor does it come in a condiment container, ie squeeze bottle - no, the stuff here is in glass jars and everything.

I think I survived Australia having Rice Thins, cream cheese, and sweet chili sauce! Damn, now that's a good travel/roadtrip food item!
    Mitchbaby: Proud to be a :canada: planner and a :canada: surfer

Registered
    Jul 2002
    Ketchup sprinkled with some oregano or italian herbs on a grilled cheese makes it taste like pizza...kinda...my mom used to do this when we were small!

Ranch dressing. It must be the homemade/seasoning packet Hidden Valley Ranch, not bottled. This is used in my home state on EVERYTHING -- chips & salsa (and a side of ranch), fries with cheese and bacon (and a side of ranch), ranch burgers, ranch & cheese...you name it!

One of the most disgusting condiments is Vegemite (sorry, mates down under!). It's sludge-like appearance will kill any appetite.
    Trivial fact: It took 14 years of perseverance from Fred Walker before Vegemite became a regular item on Australian shopping lists. 14 years? No wonder! And even then people started using it because Fred was giving jars of it away!

Registered
    Dec 2003
    Hot sauce on pretty much anything. I like to cook my steaks with it.
    A guy once told me, "Do not have any attachments, do not have anything in your life you are not willing to walk out on in 30 seconds flat if you spot the heat around the corner."

Neil McCauley (Robert DeNiro): Heat 1995

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally posted by Floridays
    One of the most disgusting condiments is Vegemite (sorry, mates down under!). It's sludge-like appearance will kill any appetite.
    Trivial fact: It took 14 years of perseverance from Fred Walker before Vegemite became a regular item on Australian shopping lists. 14 years? No wonder! And even then people started using it because Fred was giving jars of it away!
    Does anyone know what vegemite actually is? I saw some in England and couldn't fathom what it was or what it would taste like, let alone why someone would actually eat it.

Registered
    Jul 2002
    Love the stuff. In small quantities though. On toast, crumpets, muffin splits, cruskits.. am I speaking a foreign language?

Quote Originally posted by jsk1983
    Does anyone know what vegemite actually is? I saw some in England and couldn't fathom what it was or what it would taste like, let alone why someone would actually eat it.
    It is a savoury spread made from yeast extract (and is high in B vitamins!). Main use is on toast, but can be used to flavour gravy, soups etc. I use it very sparingly on toast - not even covering it, just a few dabs. Good stuff!
    Last edited by Tranplanner; 09 Mar 2005 at 3:13 PM.

Registered
    Jan 2005
    Having travelled in OZ, all I can say is that Vegemite is three words - Concentrated Yeast Extract - aka, not a chance in hell of eating it... its a by-product of the beer brewing process (trust the aussie's to figure that out) and is really good for you, but I can't stand the stuff...
    Mitchbaby: Proud to be a :canada: planner and a :canada: surfer

maudit anglais
    Registered
    May 1997
    Quote Originally posted by jsk1983
    I use the UK and original (?) version of Vegemite - Marmite. God I love the stuff - but I'm not sure I consider it a condiment. Spread on toast...Mmm mmm. As JNL said, it's a yeast extract, very high in B vitamins. And yes, it's fantastic for adding flavour to soups, stews, sauces, etc.

It's, uh, an acquired taste - Mrs. Tranplanner says it looks and smells like road tar and makes my breath smell like s**t.

Registered
    Jul 2002
    here's an ad for Vegemite from the 90's: (note that none of the ads actually show the stuff out of the jar -- except for this one which has it all over this poor kid's face)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails veg ad.jpg  

Registered
    Apr 2002
    Anybody else have older relatives who still make watermelon pickle? My great-aunt made the best I've ever had, but her recipe died with her. She also made damn good chow-chow.

It will only be odd to some of you, but gotta have pepper vinegar for your greens!

Registered
    Oct 2001
    Quote Originally posted by Tranplanner
    Mrs. Tranplanner says it looks and smells like road tar and makes my breath smell like s**t.
    So you use it as a breath freshener?

Sorry... it was there and I had to take it.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------
    C'mon and get me you twist of fate
    I'm standing right here Mr. Destiny
    If you want to talk well then I'll relate
    If you don't so what cause you don't scare me

     
    Registered
    Mar 2004
    Ranch dressing. It must be the homemade/seasoning packet Hidden Valley Ranch, not bottled. This is used in my home state on EVERYTHING -- chips & salsa (and a side of ranch), fries with cheese and bacon (and a side of ranch), ranch burgers, ranch & cheese...you name it!
    Ranch dressing does make a great condiment with fries or in a burger. I also use it when making some soups (Cream of Mushroom usually).

I put mustard on a lot of things as well. Any mustard will do with me, regular, flavoured, hot or otherwise. Mustard and cheese make an interesting combination.

While I rarely use ketchup, whenever I do go to McDonald's I always mix their BBQ sauce with some ketchup for the fries.

At the risk of starting off another thread, what do people put on their hot dogs? I put just about everything the vendor has to offer except for the olives and I think it's corn relish. So that leaves ketchup, mustard (hot/dijon/regular), relish, saurkraut, BBQ sauce, mayonnaise, bacon bits, pickles, hot chilies, hot sauce, onions, cheese. Suffice to say I'm at the stand for a while loading up my hot dog. Sometimes the vendor will look at me funny for using just about all the toppings. Hey I'm just getting my $1.50 worth out of it!

Registered
    Mar 2004
    I like blackberry jam on scrambled eggs. Yum Yum.
    You darn tootin', I like fig newtons!

Registered
    Oct 2001
    I ate at a Middle Eastern place yesterday (Falafel King). They had some kind of hot pepper sauce that I swore had olives in it (that kind of pungeant flavor). They said no olives.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jan 2003
    Some sushi bars around here have a special type of Pisco Sour, in which they add Wasabi to the mix....the worst part is the end... when you drank most of the pisco sour, and have a bunch of decantated wasabi in the end of the glass...

Registered
    Feb 2003
    I like Catalina dressing on my Pizza... A trick I learned in college (OLE MISS). All the guys from the Miss. coast did it and I caught on. mmmmm.

Oh, and I dip my fries in Ranch dressing... I call that, "gett'n my redneck on"

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Quote Originally posted by Rumpy Tunanator
    Hot sauce on pretty much anything. I like to cook my steaks with it.
    Not at Bistro Jake, you don't.
    Annoyingly insensitive

     
    Registered
    Jun 2004
    No one has mentioned Hummus...I love it on pita chips, bagels, salad.
    Hot sauce on pretty much anything ans I also like jelly on scrambled eggs....

Registered
    Dec 2004
    Quote Originally posted by JNL
    noj - Fries are known as chips here too! I always have them with Heinz ketchup.....

I believe that the mayonnaise that N Europeans like for their 'fries' is a particular purpose-made kind, called 'fritte sauce', not your garden variety mayo? I tried it while over there - yummy.
    Glad to hear it JNL!

You're right about the fritte sauce as well, they sell it in buckets in Holland and Belgian. Very nice. I also love their rollmops (so to speak).

I never knew before that Marmite and Vegemite were one and the same. My knowledge of Vegemite comes from a) Neighbours (Aussie soap, vey popular here in the late 80s), and b) Men At Work. I like Twiglets a lot (marmite based snack) and Marmite/Bovril drink is very good at football matches in January.

As Jaxspa said, Hummus is quality. Also like Taramasalata, as long as you don't think too much about what it is

Registered
    Aug 2001
    I am a big fan of ketchup on eggs and hash browns. Beyond that, brace yourself....

grape jelly on spam. it rocks

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally posted by undergrad planner
    At the risk of starting off another thread, what do people put on their hot dogs? I put just about everything the vendor has to offer except for the olives and I think it's corn relish. So that leaves ketchup, mustard (hot/dijon/regular), relish, saurkraut, BBQ sauce, mayonnaise, bacon bits, pickles, hot chilies, hot sauce, onions, cheese. Suffice to say I'm at the stand for a while loading up my hot dog.
    Well folks from Chicago will bury all of us when it comes to putting stuff on hot dogs, but I'll venture to add that I like my dogs with ketchup, mustard, chili, hot sauce and onions. For some reason I never got into relish, but understand that with some folks relish is a religion.....
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Registered
    Jun 2003
    Quote Originally posted by Maister
    For some reason I never got into relish, but understand that with some folks relish is a religion.....
    I prefer Dill Relish over sweet relish.
    Oddball
    Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves?
    Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
    Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
    From Kelly's Heroes (1970)

Are you sure you're not hurt ?
    No. Just some parts wake up faster than others.
    Broke parts take a little longer, though.
    From Electric Horseman (1979)

Registered
    Nov 2002
    No real strange condiment uses here. I can’t stand mayonnaise, or any mayonnaise based foods, so that takes almost all dressings off the table for me…. Unlike my wife who puts blue cheese dressing on just about everything. I do, however, have a taste for vinegar on a lot of my foods. Malt vinegar on my fries, balsamic on salads and for dipping bread and raspberry-balsamic drizzled over my turkey sandwiches. Good stuff.

A question to our UK forumers, or anyone else out there in the know: What exactly is HP Sauce? I was in a specialty chocolate shop that carries a lot of English products last weekend where I overheard a couple have a fit over the fact that the shop had HP Sauce. Judging from how they went on and on about it I figured that it must be good stuff, but at $10.00 a bottle I decided to leave it there. So is it worth the price or is it just A1 with an accent?

maudit anglais
    Registered
    May 1997
    Quote Originally posted by biscuit
    A question to our UK forumers, or anyone else out there in the know: What exactly is HP Sauce? I was in a specialty chocolate shop that carries a lot of English products last weekend where I overheard a couple have a fit over the fact that the shop had HP Sauce. Judging from how they went on and on about it I figured that it must be good stuff, but at $10.00 a bottle I decided to leave it there. So is it worth the price or is it just A1 with an accent?
    HP Sauce is one of those "brown" sauces noj mentioned in one of his previous posts...it's a bit different than steak sauce, but similar. It's great with sausages, bacon sandwiches, etc. - not on top, but beside, as a dip. It's good, but I wouldn't pay $10 for a bottle of it. It's widely available in supermarkets up here.

I love to dip my fries in honey mustard or vanilla ice cream.
    Carrots dipped in peanut butter are good, too!

+ Reply to thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 16
    Last post: 07 Jan 2013, 10:49 PM
  2. Replies: 24
    Last post: 17 Jun 2011, 3:41 PM
  3. Condiment Collaborations
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 31
    Last post: 15 Sep 2010, 1:19 PM
  4. Bass (and other uncommon) Riffs